Valedictorian condemns compulsory Schooling in Speech

MuslimAgorist

Mar 13, 2010
On June 25, 2010 Erica Goldson delivered a hard hitting Valedictorian speech to her Coxsackie-Athens High School graduating class that drew wild applause from students, and scorn from teachers and staff. Predicting their disapproval Erica submitted a fake speech to get through the administrative censors because she felt her message was so important. After the text of her speech appeared on her blog, America Via Erica, it earned her considerable publicity, including an interview on Free Talk Live, a nationally syndicated radio program, and interviewed on the School Sucks Podcast, an Internet talk show hosted by Brett Velnotte. Brett is an educator who left teaching public school and devoted himself to ending government-controlled compulsory eduction.

Erica’s speech really speaks for itself. Text Here

Video
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M4tdMsg3ts&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Valedictorian Speaks Out Against Schooling[/ame]

We had a valedictorian here who used her speech to try to get the audience to accept Jesus as their personal savior. The administration introduced the speakers with a disclaimer that the ideas presented were purely their own. And no, I don't live in the Bible Belt.

The speech was a little awkward and dumb, but I'm glad they allowed it. I thought it was cool that they allowed the girl to say her piece. She had earned it and there's no harm in hearing other ideas.

But what is the alternative to compulsory education until 18? Just let them leech of thier parents doing nothing from whatever age you decide they can stop until the parents get sick and kick them out.

I do agree that academic based education until 18 may not be the best idea, but in that case give them the basics until 14 or so and let them spend 4 years as a trade apprentice or similar. Make high schools for those who want to continue to college and such.

I cant watch the damn video because I am at work, but someone give me the gist of what she proposes as an alternative?

Great speech!

She really didn't condemn compulsory education just the way it is being done.

Producing pseudo-intellectual robots memorizing lots of mostly unimportant information.

psik

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back