Valdimir Poutine's decision

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by padisha emperor, Sep 15, 2004.

1. padisha emperor

padisha emperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Sorry, but I don't see any thread about Russia, so I put this one here.

Have you heard the news from Russia ? Poutine declared that now, the governors will be not elected, like before, but will be chosen by himself. So poutine will have the power to name the Russian Federation's provinces' governor....

What do you think about ? the White House said that they - the WH's people - are scared for democracy. (White House's people certainly know what the danger for democracy is :D )

I think that Poutine want to become a Tsar, like Pierre le Grand, Alexandre II and III, Nicolas II.....he has a lot of power for a Federation's President...like a dictator...

So, and you, what do you think ?

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    For now I have moved to WOT forum. Maybe we need an 'other countries' forum? I can see where you were confused.

3. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Not a full fledged return to communism. But he's trying his best to steer it that way. What did you expect with an ex-KGB man as president. He wants control and any excuse to grab it, he will. The people have to know that in a democracy, they are the power. I wonder if they realize that democracy doesnt just mean McDonalds and Starbucks. It means Freedom!!! They will soon know what freedom is when they are living under the Iron Curtain again.

4. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Well padisha emperor,
    I think the French should go kick his ass! How about you?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379

Putin's stance is nothing but a logical extension of Dubbyuh's policies of pre-emption, expansion of executive powers and curtailment of the powers of the judicial and legislative branches. Another attack on US soil will put America on the same road to totalitarianism that Russia is, once more, headed down.

6. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    No it's not. What an erroneous and ridiculous comment. Please show how cancelling elections has anything to do with Bush's policy.

7. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356

I always wonder if your lunacy knows any bounds. Kind of like asking if the universe has an edge i suppose.

8. padisha emperor

padisha emperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    :D
    well, you're right Sir evil, I apologize, i didn't see i wrote the name in french.

But you understand, it is the most important, isn't it ? ;)

I think that Putin azlways made things which wzere not really democratic, like the medias who were censored. And terror makes that Russia is dashed into a kind of dictatorship. Putin become stronger with terrorism. After each attack, he can have more power. So, it is awful to say that, but the terrorism help Putin...

9. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    I do believe it was General Tommy Franks (<i>ret.</i>) who said, in an interview with <i>Cigar Aficionado</i>, that:

<blockquote>Gen. Tommy Franks says that if the United States is hit with a weapon of mass destruction that inflicts large casualties, the Constitution will likely be discarded in favor of a military form of government.</blockquote>

Source: http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/11/20/185048.shtml

Nothing "erroneous" or "ridiculous" about it.

And Dubbyuh said, " If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." Yessirree! Dubbyuh looked into Putin's soul and found him a soulmate!

Source: http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0012/18/nd.01.html

10. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i do not think it is a stretch to worry that any president, regardless of party, would take broad and controversial emergency powers in such a chain of events as several substantial terror attacks on US soil. this way in a sense, for a while,the president would be more like a supreme general.

putin's moves, on the other hand, are to centralize and expand his power to shape Russia in how he sees fit. this way, he is like a dictator, and for as long as possible.