Vacuum Cleaners

PixieStix

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2009
I am looking to buy a new vacuum cleaner. I am looking at a few different models.

I had 3 in the last 4 years and none of them have met my standards for cleaning my home

Does anyone here have any advice or do you own one that you would recommend?

By the way I own 3 cats and 1 dog, and there is no way I will shave them :eusa_angel:

I worked for Tri Star, which sell for around 2,000 but they are awesome vacuum cleaners.
I think the best thing to put in a new house is a central vac, they work the best and they are easy to use.

I worked for Tri Star, which sell for around 2,000 but they are awesome vacuum cleaners.
I think the best thing to put in a new house is a central vac, they work the best and they are easy to use.

I heard of those, but am not willing to put up with the installation. Besides I may not be living here that much longer

The rainbow, just may be right down my alley though.

Thanks Luissa, I am looking to spend as little time and money as possible.

I don't really know much about vacuum cleaners, so I can't help you on this one.

I wonder if mal will reply to this thread since I have posted his name

oreck.....i have 3 cats, 2 dogs...i always had to buy a new vac...every 10 months...i have had this one for a couple of years.....you take it to the oreck shop and they repair it yearly....it is lightweight....6 lbs or so....its pretty easy to deal with....bags last forever...etc....i highly highly say go with oreck....

one big plus it is american made...when katrina hit...they would ups parts in..and finished product out...he kept his people employed and working.....buy oreck...

Oreck corporation, quality Oreck brand vacuums and air purifiers sold at Oreck.com.

When the boy sucked up one too many non-suckable things into our (lousy) Hoover we bought a Kenmore vacuum. It seems to do a good job but I'm not exactly a vacuum aficionado so . . . it wasn't very expensive and it sucks up the ever shedding furma from the dog and the cat. One thing -- it's too heavy and the handle to carry it I find awkward. On board attachments stay put though and it has an extra extension hose so I can sit the vacuum at the bottom of the stairs and clean all the steps with the sucky-up attachment and not have to carry the damn vacuum up the steps, holding it in place with my body so it doesn't fall down the steps. Had to do that with the (lousy) Hoover. That sucked.

Last edited:
Depends on how much you want to spend. If you want to spend a $110.00 dollars on a Dirt Devil close out they have ones that marketing did not go over real well on. It's kind of an ugly dual thing. You can see them on there site or Amazon and read reviews. If you are looking for a quality, long lasting vacuum I'd go with Sanitaire. Sanitaire is a commercial brand of Electrolux if I recall correct. We bought a Sanitaire for our first office type contract. That was in 87', passed it to different job sites until we put all new carpet in our home. Used the thing at our home until 2002, when the house was raided here someone in the raid crew snagged it. The Hepa, no bag, upright Dirt Devil we have I bought for the travel trailer in 95' for $15.00 at an outlet store. The roller beater died on it the last few weeks. It spun the bearing on one side, (dog hair does that if you don't keep it out of the side bearings on the roller or just with use and time they wear out). So, I went looking to replace that. The beater bar new runs $15 to $20 bucks. After looking at the new cost I'm not sure if I want another vacuum or just the new roller since the vacuum is 15 years old. It still works good with the exception of the roller.

We had four house dogs until 1995. Two Chows until 1999. Chow and Great Pyre for seven years and now just a two hundred pound Pyre that sheds constantly and has terrible dandruff plus the cat.

Rainbow brand if you want to hassle with the muddy water each time you vacuum.

Hey everyone, thank you so much for the input.

I just got off the phone with a Rainbow Rep. I have an appointment next week at my home. Oh geez I hate these kinds of appointments, but it is a necessary evil. I need to see it in action at my home.

It is expensive, but considering that I have bought so many in the past 4 years, then it just may be the one for me, we will see. What I like it the water based system, no bags ect.

Please give me you opinions on others. I always look before I leap...well most of the time.

Thank you all

oreck.....i have 3 cats, 2 dogs...i always had to buy a new vac...every 10 months...i have had this one for a couple of years.....you take it to the oreck shop and they repair it yearly....it is lightweight....6 lbs or so....its pretty easy to deal with....bags last forever...etc....i highly highly say go with oreck....

one big plus it is american made...when katrina hit...they would ups parts in..and finished product out...he kept his people employed and working.....buy oreck...

Oreck corporation, quality Oreck brand vacuums and air purifiers sold at Oreck.com.

I have been looking into oreck, and consumer reports was not too kind

what did they say? i have had no trouble with mine...we are real happy with it....

It said that it was not good at all on carpet, and that it just runs right over the pet hair, but that it was good on hard flooring.

Which model did you get?

if you have a basement a central vac system is not that hard to install.

My home is almost 140 years old, everything that gets installed here is a big deal :(

My home is almost 140 years old, everything that gets installed here is a big deal :(

Have you got brick walls inside?

Forum List

Back