Va. Tech families protest state gun law

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Gunny, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    This is just people refusing to use common sense. The student trusts the police to protect society? Can't imagine why he was a victim. They (police) sure were Johnny on the spot at VT, weren't they?

Apparently, going down to the last paragraph, the law enforcement branch can't even enforce the laws they already have properly.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +377
    "You're afraid of crazy situations happening. I've lived through this and I know that I can't continue in my life afraid of things," he said, adding that he put his "full trust" in the police to protect society.

How'd that "full trust" work out for you on April 16th, Colin?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Oh, it worked out just peachy-keen. Cho was deemed mentally defective by a court and they dutifully reported it so he couldn't purchase a handgun.

And how many people was it he murdered like sheep before he finally STOPPED HIMSELF?

4. watermark

watermark Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The VA shooter wasn't a criminal, and by Virginia's own legal standards he wasn't mentally ill (many states abolished the insanity defense after John Hinckley, so fuck them).

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    You would be incorrect. Did you read up on this guy? He was a genuine, 5-star fruitloop. He WAS found mentally defective by a VA court. The court didn't follow through with the paperwork.

He would have popped on a BATF background check and denied the right to purchase firearms. One does not have to be a criminal to be denied that right. One only has to answer "yes" to one question on the form.

One of them DOES as whether you have ever been judged mentally defective, or words to that effect.

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,973
    If a competent Authority ( a Judge) has ordered you to admitted to a mental Facility then you lose the right to own weapons until you petition the Secretary of the Treasury and he reinstates your right.

I would assume the Court order to seek help would suffice, though I am not sure.

Just being in a Mental facility is not enough to deny you the right to own weapons, One must have been ordered there by a Judge.