VA says transgender vets are eligible for hormones

Discussion in 'Military' started by Sunni Man, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    SAN FRANCISCO – The Veterans Health Administration has informed its hospitals and clinics that transgender veterans are eligible for hormones, care before and after gender change surgery, and mental health counseling as part of their regular benefits.

In a directive issued Thursday, the VA reiterated that its facilities are not permitted to perform genital or breast surgeries on veterans in the process of changing genders.

But the agency confirmed that transgender patients are entitled to routine health care that takes their special needs into account and to transgender-specific treatments such as hormone therapy and "non-surgical, supportive care for complications of sex-reassignment surgery."

In accordance with what it termed "the respectful delivery of health care," the VA also instructed medical personnel at its 950 health care centers to refer to transgender veterans in conversation and on medical records by the gender pronoun they prefer, regardless of whether they have undergone surgery.

VA says transgender vets are eligible for hormones - Yahoo! News

2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,885
    VA petitioning for right to provide transgender surgeries...
    [​IMG]
    VA Wants to Provide Transgender Surgeries
    Jun 06, 2016 | WASHINGTON -- Sex reassignment surgeries might soon be covered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. The VA has proposed lifting its ban on the medical procedures, which treat a condition called gender dysphoria and allow a man to live as a woman or vice versa.
    See also:

Long Ordeal for Seattle Worker Who Exposed Veteran's Fraud
    Jun 06, 2016 | SEATTLE — A federal employee in Seattle helped expose a fraud in which an Army veteran lied his way to a Purple Heart and hundreds of thousands of dollars in government benefits. Her reward?

3. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,834
    Vietnam Vets can barely get cancer coverage for exposure to toxic chemicals but the radical end of the V.A. is rich enough to furnish sex change chemicals for freakazoid Vets. Politics trumps health care once again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ThunderKiss1965

ThunderKiss1965 Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,764
    And yet I wait for 2 months for an MRI on my back. A procedure I've already went through once before I guess the repeat is because the VA thinks its gotten better. I wonder how long someone has to wait to get their junk cut off or have one added ?