Va Primary: Gingrich, Perry fail to get on ballot.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by zzzz, Dec 24, 2011.

1. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Looks like Romney will win Virginia's Primary, so he can focus on other Super Tuesday states. It is beginning to look like Romney will be the main man for Republicans because of his steady base of support.

My Way News - GOP: Gingrich, Perry will not be on Va. Ballot

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Cowman

Cowman Cows Have Liberal Minds

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +714
    He's the only one who stands any kind of chance. He's their John McCain this year.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    I do hope Gingrich makes it for the book signings. I believe that's the second serious Presidential candidate to ever do that..run a book tour and campaign. Cain was probably the first.

Man..Republicans are ambidextrous!

4. Poli_Sigh

Poli_Sigh Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Romney's religion is his worst enemy. Mormons aren't Christians according to the religious right. Of course, he's the only candidate that has any chance.

5. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    It ain't Romney's religion that's going to sink him. He's already populating he's "cabinent" with ex-Bush PNAC'ers and talking about attacking Iran.

That..and just about every day he says something that is just golden for Democratic ads.

6. freedombecki

freedombecki Let's go swimmin'! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,933
    Given your prerogatives, then if by some miracle, Mr. Sallow, a Republican should win, who that is left would you like to see in the White HOuse? It sounds like you don't care for any war talk, regardless of the circumstances. Early this morning, I saw on television that a firm link between AlQaeda and Iran was established and announced by the Obama administration. It sounded like war talk coming from the left aisle. What's the deal?

7. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,064
    Just another example of the Republican Establishment trying to rig the game for Romney.

I really have to ask the question, if Romney is the strongest candidate the GOP has, then why do the party operatives have to pull out every stop to help him? And if he can't really stand toe to toe with Gingrich and Perry, both of whom have their flaws and shortcomings, what chance is he going to have against Obama, who is very charismatic, is going to have a billion dollar warchest and doesn't belong to a batshit crazy religion anymore?

8. freedombecki

freedombecki Let's go swimmin'! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,933
    Well, not to worry about politics today, Mr. Sallow ...
    Merry Christmas everyone
    [​IMG]
    credits and recipe
    I nominate The Gingerbread Man for President, this Christmas Eve's Day. :)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  9. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,064
    Well, a couple things on that. First, you are assuming that hostility towards Mormonism is the exclusive domain of the "Religious Right". It isn't. Gallup took a poll that says that 22% of the population won't vote for a Mormon. Which, by the way, should be a good enough reason for EVERY Republican to do a double take about this guy.

In U.S., 22% Are Hesitant to Support a Mormon in 2012

BUt if you go into the numbers, 18% of Republicans won't support a Mormon, but a whopping 27% of Democrats won't, either. The number for indepedents is 19%.

Religiously, 23% of protestants wont, with 16% of Catholics and 22% of "non-Christians".

And here's the thing. It really is a liability. Mormons believe in some truly weird stuff, and they have a really bizarre history. Things the MSM will be happy to inform us of- AFTER Romney secures the nomination.

Secondly, beyond his religion, Romney has a lot of other problems. He made his money screwing working folks, a fact Obama will not neglect to remind people of. He's stiff and robotic and generally not likable. He occassionally says insentive things like "Corporations are people, too" and "I'll bet you $10,000." and my personal favorite, 'My sons working on my campaign is serving their country".

Now if you want to argue that he's stronger than the other six dwarves, you can argue that. I think Perry would be a stronger candidate if he can rise above the media character assassination of him. I think Gingrich would be a stronger candidate because he's smart and articulate. I think both men have been sandbagged by a GOP establishment that drank the koolaid on Romney.

10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Cain is doing the same thing.