V-Rod now "officially dead"

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
The Motor Company recently announced to its dealers that V-Rod production would stop in October.

This revolutionary bike, co-designed with Porsche, never caught on with the H-D Faithful despite its strong pedigree, outstanding performance numbers, and stunning looks. Indeed, from a mechanical and performance standpoint it continues to make all other H-D's look like Model T's by comparison.

Used V-Rods are already very cheap by Harley standards, and prices for used ones will undoubtedly drop more when this announcement is better publicized.

What is it? Looking at the used market, it is very noticeable how people who own them just don't ride them. It is not unusual to see one that is 8-10 years old, and still basically new, with just a few thousand miles on the odometer. Are they that uncomfortable?

Why couldn't Harley take this drivetrain and at least try to make it into a sport-touring bike like an ST1300 or FJR?

Is this decision by Harley an opportunity for a savvy used bike buyer to grab something very special at a Fire Sale price?

Harley riders are loyal. it's about a lifestyle and being perceived as "COOL". They don't want to be bothered with technology.

IMO there are many reasons
They just aren't traditional. They are sporty. BMW experienced the same thing with the K model. Hek I remember my dad talking about when the deuce came out. softtail people started freaking out lol
They are for taller people. At least that's what I read. They have a longer stretch than the road king, for example.
They are water cooled. And if I remember right, The RPMs are so high, it reduces the infamous "shake" of the typical v-twins

I wonder if the Milwaukee-eights have anything to do with it?

The Motor Company recently announced to its dealers that V-Rod production would stop in October.

This revolutionary bike, co-designed with Porsche, never caught on with the H-D Faithful despite its strong pedigree, outstanding performance numbers, and stunning looks. Indeed, from a mechanical and performance standpoint it continues to make all other H-D's look like Model T's by comparison.

Used V-Rods are already very cheap by Harley standards, and prices for used ones will undoubtedly drop more when this announcement is better publicized.

What is it? Looking at the used market, it is very noticeable how people who own them just don't ride them. It is not unusual to see one that is 8-10 years old, and still basically new, with just a few thousand miles on the odometer. Are they that uncomfortable?

Why couldn't Harley take this drivetrain and at least try to make it into a sport-touring bike like an ST1300 or FJR?

Is this decision by Harley an opportunity for a savvy used bike buyer to grab something very special at a Fire Sale price?

Could be a good time to buy one. I always liked it. Never got a chance to drive one.

One reason I suspect they are cheap is that the PM they require is either incredibly expensive or a monumental pain in the ass. (Checking valves on the rear cylinder requires removing the engine.)

Honestly, if you want a sport-touring bike, the ONLY reason to buy a V-Rod is if you are a Kool-Aid drinker for H-D.

They are great bikes. My brother owned on and being the much more experienced rider I rode it with him on back, about 185lbs. worth. The engine is like a rheostat and pulls no matter what rpm you're at. I didn't get carried away with handling but it isn't a sport bike.

They just aren't seen as a "real" Harley, looks are very high up on the HD bandwagon. Image counts a lot and in order to impress fellow HDers you need the more traditional look.

They are great bikes. My brother owned on and being the much more experienced rider I rode it with him on back, about 185lbs. worth. The engine is like a rheostat and pulls no matter what rpm you're at. I didn't get carried away with handling but it isn't a sport bike.

They just aren't seen as a "real" Harley, looks are very high up on the HD bandwagon. Image counts a lot and in order to impress fellow HDers you need the more traditional look.
Yeah I have been told the bike is a blast to ride due to the powerful motor. I've never owned a Harley, but the vrod is a Harley I could own.

Yeah I have been told the bike is a blast to ride due to the powerful motor. I've never owned a Harley, but the vrod is a Harley I could own.
Same here. A sport touring rig with that engine would be awesome!

Try a Concours 1400...it's a rocket that will make the Vrod feel like a 250.

yeah...that is a beautiful bike.
kawasaki-concours-14-abs-06.jpg

You were not kidding. This past weekend I drove a Concours 14. Wow...what a bike. I had done some research on it and a few others lately, as I am considering buying a new bike. The Concours is amazingly fast and feels unbelievably solid and sure footed. That monocoque frame design might be the difference.

If you're cheap, find a low-mileage st1100. Fantastic S/T for $3,500 or so.

I own a V-Rod and its a blast to own and run. I don't need to try and impress other individuals by owning a hog.. I call that ignorant. Maybe one should try something new. There an awesome bike to run. For each there own. I am looking at a Road King at the moment but keeping the Rod. It will go up in value as yrs go by.

I own a V-Rod and its a blast to own and run. I don't need to try and impress other individuals by owning a hog.. I call that ignorant. Maybe one should try something new. There an awesome bike to run. For each there own. I am looking at a Road King at the moment but keeping the Rod. It will go up in value as yrs go by.
No doubt. One day people will be asking what was Harley thinking with letting them go?

Forum List

Back