Uzbekistan, WOT Ally, Slaughtering Its Citizens While World Looks Away

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by NATO AIR, May 17, 2005.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Ally or not, we cannot stand by and let this happen without taking a stand against the slaughter that occurred recently in Uzbekistan. These people need our voice and outrage, not our indifference.

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    There is agreement, some might even be with the United States government, links at site:

http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/000821.html

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    A couple of connects I have on the Hill are telling me Lugar, Hagel and Warner (among other GOP senators) are pushing the prez to dump Uzbekistan and make a loud and clear message of support for those who've survived the slaughter and their cause of freedom, free enterprise and open government.

I don't see why we shouldn't. We'll end up in another year or two with a free, pro-American government in Uzbekistan if we do this and do it right. Hell, even the Russians might prefer that over the likely alternative, a bitter civil war in a few years.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Leader? Not the country?

5. IControlThePast

IControlThePast Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've heard reports that we expedited Terrorists to Uzbekistan where they could be tortured by the local governments to extract information, but I don't know how reliable that is.

The funny thing is I watched Fox refer to the anti-torture protestors there as Terrorists :laugh:

6. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    No reason it can't be both. Its good if the Dems can shut off their anti-bush impulses for a minute and this country can send a united signal to Karimov and the rest of these tyrants that when you cross the line, there will be a steep price. You will be isolated. You will be undermined. You will, eventually, fall.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I do think that is the message that is being sent, without alienating the populace.

8. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I think so to an extent. What is needed now is something like what Pres. Bush did with Lebanon and Syria. He expressed clear support for the Lebanese movement and warned Syria of the consequences of trying to reverse the advance of freedom.

And of course, Iraq or not, this country can and will do what it must if it has to. We haven't even come to mobilizing like we did for WW2, hell, not even close to what we did for the Korean War or Vietnam.

The Chinese, Syrians and Iranians (and increasingly, Chavez & Castro) should be well aware of that.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    No arguement here. Not quite sure how much clearer we can make it to Castro though!

10. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I'd drop the embargo and watch his puppet regime collapse once his no.1, 2, 3 and 4 (etc etc) excuses for Cuba's problems were revealed to the world to be BS.

Flood that island with American goods, ideas and money. A peaceful invasion that would make it clear to him we play for keeps, one way or another.

That's just me though, based on my experiences with exiles in Miami.