Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
over human rights violations:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N13139246.htm

excerpts

US withholds Uzbek aid over human rights record
14 Jul 2004 00:17:56 GMT

By Saul Hudson

WASHINGTON, July 13 (Reuters) - The United States on Tuesday withheld $18 million in aid from Uzbekistan, a military ally in its war on terrorism, as a punishment for what it has called unacceptable human rights violations.....

"There is still a carrot out there for Uzbekistan. The carrot is recertification and gaining stature on the international stage for coming through and making improvements," said Rachel Denber of the New York-based Human Rights Watch.

Thousands of political and religious prisoners, mainly Muslim dissidents, are incarcerated on flimsy pretexts in Uzbekistan, according to human rights groups, who accuse the government of torture.

Originally posted by NATO AIR
this is fantastic news
:clap: :clap: :clap:

my last day (well its night here but...) on the board starts off fantastic

:D

Oh, I'm glad I mentioned it then!

:clap1: How long will you be 'offline'?

at least two months (summer pulse 2004 via the north korea thread topic)

perhaps longer

I'll miss our early mornings! I'll be thinking and praying for you and your compadres!

thank you ... i'm missing this a lot. i think i got somewhat better at staking out and holding a position (maybe)

i won't lie when i'm wrong though and it does like that wilson fellow was full of it, and he and his wife were lying.

thank you ... i'm missing this a lot. i think i got somewhat better at staking out and holding a position (maybe)

i won't lie when i'm wrong though and it does like that wilson fellow was full of it, and he and his wife were lying.

I hear you Nato! You've been a great teacher and pupil, what more can any of us ask? Because you were open, it left it to me to be also! Good job and thank you. For your time here and your service. Never think it was in vain, it's not and it's appreciated! :clap: :clap:

Come back when you can!

Also from your article

"This year Uzbekistan's authoritarian President Islam Karimov's 15-year rule suffered its biggest shock since a 1999 assassination attempt, as militants fought police and exploded bombs. Karimov responded with a crackdown on Muslim dissidents that the West criticized."

Now, would you care to try to explain to me why we are so concerned about a foreign government's harsh treatments of muslim terrorists?

Originally posted by Merlin1047
Also from your article

"This year Uzbekistan's authoritarian President Islam Karimov's 15-year rule suffered its biggest shock since a 1999 assassination attempt, as militants fought police and exploded bombs. Karimov responded with a crackdown on Muslim dissidents that the West criticized."

Now, would you care to try to explain to me why we are so concerned about a foreign government's harsh treatments of muslim terrorists?

yes, I noticed that too. being politically correct are we?

from the state dept's 2003 religious freedom report:

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/irf/2003/24443.htm

The campaign resulted in the arrest of many observant Muslims who were not extremists. The campaign also resulted in allegations that hundreds, perhaps thousands, have been physically mistreated or tortured; dozens of these allegations have been confirmed.

from human rights watch

http://hrw.org/english/docs/2004/03/29/uzbeki8309.htm

The Uzbek government has arrested and tortured thousands of nonviolent Muslim dissidents who practice their faith outside state-controlled religion, Human Rights Watch said today in a report on this campaign of religious persecution.

from amnesty international

http://web.amnesty.org/report2004/uzb-summary-eng

Human rights defenders and hundreds of people suspected of political or religious dissent were harassed, beaten and detained without trial, or sentenced to prison terms after unfair trials and frequently tortured or ill-treated. The UN Special Rapporteur on torture reported on a visit to Uzbekistan in 2002 in which he received numerous testimonies of systematic torture and ill-treatment. Torture was reported to have resulted in the death of at least three men in custody. At least 18 death sentences were passed after unfair trials marred by uninvestigated allegations of torture and corruption. The Special Rapporteur on torture called the secrecy surrounding the death penalty "malicious and amounting to cruel and inhuman treatment" of prisoners' families.

from freedom house

http://www.freedomhouse.org/pdf_docs/FHUZ.pdf

Uzbekistan is one of the most repressive regimes in the world, according to Freedom House’s annual survey of freedom. In Freedom in the World 2004, Uzbekistan received the lowest possible score of ‘7’ for political rights and the score of ‘6’ for civil liberties. Political rights in the country are virtually nonexistent as a result of oppressive policies

final eval: uzbekistan is not a country now deserving of US aid, especially miiltary aid. in pursuing anti-islamic, anti-religious, anti-freedom policies and utilizing fear, violence and injustice, they are creating a breeding ground for terrorism that the US should not support.

uzbekistan's situation may be improving, and we should realize this is a careful move by Mr. Bush to pressure the Uzbek government to clean up its act for real, or face real, harmful consequences in the vein of no more US aid. bravo America! down with tyranny everywhere in the world it is allowed to fester.