Utah Supreme Court Backs Polygamy Ban

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
So if polygamy can be regulated by the legislative branch, why can't gay marriage be prohibited?

-----------
Utah Supreme Court Backs Polygamy Ban
By JENNIFER DOBNER, Associated Press Writer Tue May 16, 2:12 PM ET

SALT LAKE CITY - The Utah Supreme Court upheld the 2003 bigamy conviction of a former police officer Tuesday, ruling that the state law banning polygamy is not unconstitutional.

The court said that religious protections of the U.S. and Utah constitutions "do not shield (Rodney) Holm's polygamous practices from state prosecution."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060516...aHbEfQA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

5stringJeff said:
So if polygamy can be regulated by the legislative branch, why can't gay marriage be prohibited?

Gay mariage can be prohibited. The USSC will rule that way if it ever gets to the high court.

I have a novel idea: government should not recognize any marriage.

If we recognize gay marriage, then logically there is no reason why we should recognize polygamy. And if we recognize polygamy, there is no reason why an entire group of say, 5 guys and 5 girls can't all get intermarried. People would be getting "married" to get health care benefits from whoever in the group had the best insurance. Employers would have to drop health care pretty quick. (side note, isn't it odd that health insurance is mainly provided by employers, but not house or car or flood insurance?)

Getting the state out of marriage would satisfy the gays, and it should satisfy the christians too. Gays can have their little ceremony, and the christians can completely refuse to recognize it. Simple.

If I remember correctly, Utah's Constitution has a prohibition of Polygamy. I am fairly certain it was a condition for statehood. So honestly it doesnt really surprise me.

What I can never understand is how, in this day & age, a woman would actually AGREE to be a second or third "spiritual" wife. :puke: Especially if one of the other "wives" was your sister! The idea is detestable and repellent.

I guess that's why the men "married" them so young.

Forum List

Back