Utah School Fined $15,000 for Accidentally Selling Soda During Lunch

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A Utah high school is learning the hard way that the government is serious about nudging students away from food it doesn’t want them to consume. Davis High School in the Salt Lake City area is having to fork over a whopping $15,000 in fines to the Feds because it accidentally sold soda through a vending machine during lunch.

Federal law requires the school to turn off its soda machines during the lunch period, which is 47 minutes a day. And Davis High school did turn off the machines in the lunch room. However, the school didn‘t realize that there was another machine in the school bookstore that wasn’t being turned off. And when the food police realized it, the school was hit with a $0.75 fine per student for the duration of the offense.

Now the school is going to have to cut money to fine arts programs to make up the cost.

Utah High School Fined $15,000 for Selling Soda | Video | TheBlaze.com

"It's for the children..."

This is what happens when the feds get involved in public education. Hey Holder - once upon a time a teacher in NJ may have accidentally broken a copyright law....:evil:

A Utah high school is learning the hard way that the government is serious about nudging students away from food it doesn’t want them to consume. Davis High School in the Salt Lake City area is having to fork over a whopping $15,000 in fines to the Feds because it accidentally sold soda through a vending machine during lunch.

Federal law requires the school to turn off its soda machines during the lunch period, which is 47 minutes a day. And Davis High school did turn off the machines in the lunch room. However, the school didn‘t realize that there was another machine in the school bookstore that wasn’t being turned off. And when the food police realized it, the school was hit with a $0.75 fine per student for the duration of the offense.

Now the school is going to have to cut money to fine arts programs to make up the cost.

This is what happens when the feds get involved in public education. Hey Holder - once upon a time a teacher in NJ may have accidentally broken a copyright law....:evil:

They get money for food from the Fed, the Fed gets to make the rules. Don't accept the money (which I wish they did), then they can do what they want.

Quite simple, really.

Ah the central planner mentality in action. Help kids by fining the school $15,000...:cuckoo:

Education is perhaps the most important aspect for the future of our society...so we let bureaucrats and public sector unions run every aspect of the market, from what's in the text books to how many tater tots get served at lunch. That is frickin' insane. :eusa_hand:

If the government starts with schools to not only control what children eat, but to convince them that the government is more concerned with their health and well being than either the school or the parents they will produce adults who will depend on that government for all decisions.

If the government starts with schools to not only control what children eat, but to convince them that the government is more concerned with their health and well being than either the school or the parents they will produce adults who will depend on that government for all decisions.

I agree. And I can safely assume you pressure your local school board to REJECT all federal funds for breakfast/lunch programs.

They get money for food from the Fed, the Fed gets to make the rules. Don't accept the money (which I wish they did), then they can do what they want.

Quite simple, really.

Indeed: Either accept the bribe and consequences, or do not.

However, remember that not all the rules that the Fed makes are funded by the Feds: E.G. IDEA

Last edited:
How the hell do you accidentally sell soda?
Is it like accidentally selling cocaine.
"No seriously officer the cocaine just fell into my purse
and I just accidentally gave it to some guy who accidentally dropped
money into my purse I swear."
Go try that defense in a court room.

I will insist that banning junk food/soda in schools would do more to raise test scores then any other policy you can name. But I guess being fat stupid and diabetic is too important.

Jamie Oliver's school dinners shown to have improved academic results | Education | The Guardian
^In Greenwich schools switched to a healthier menu and as a result absences were reduced by 15%.
^Also test scores such as those in English and science increased by around 5%

The Answer Sheet - School junk food ban works, study finds
^Schools that banned "junk food" saw an 18% decline in student obesity.

Daily Kos: NYC schools feed students good food, test scores rise 16%
^New York City implemented a school lunch/breakfast/snack policy that focused on healthy food and eliminated unhealthy food choices, afterwards test scores increased by 16%

I will insist that banning junk food/soda in schools would do more to raise test scores then any other policy you can name.

Why, because you think teenagers won't get that junk food and soda anyway? Please...:doubt:

Tell you what, why don't you raise your kids to not eat that stuff and stop pretending you know what's best for everyone else.

I will insist that banning junk food/soda in schools would do more to raise test scores then any other policy you can name.

Why, because you think teenagers won't get that junk food and soda anyway? Please...:doubt:

Tell you what, why don't you raise your kids to not eat that stuff and stop pretending you know what's best for everyone else.

No because when soda and junk food are not available they can't get it. Furthermore my theory is backed by actual evidence several studies and historical examples. So plz go on telling us how history is bogus.

I've been teaching in two high school districts in Illinois for 2 years now. They do not turn off their vending machines during lunch. I also am the mother of 3 adults, in their mid-late 20's, the trends I saw with them, have continued to the present.

My 'athlete' son got rid of 'carbonated drinks' at the age of 15. He went to juices, Gatorade, later Vitamin Waters. His older brother, not into running at that time, did the same in college. The darling daughter about the same time, she's the oldest. Why? I'd say with the youngest, coaches and teachers and reading "Cross Country Running" magazine. The others? News magazines, advertisements, etc.

Vending machines in both districts tend towards the same contents. Drinks: 1 cola, 1 diet cola, 1 7-Up type, rest are water, juices, and Vitamin Drinks. The only popular drink not available: Monster. Water is $1. Vitamin water. $1.25. Coke, $1.50.

The junk vending: vitamin gummies, baked chips of many varieties, many types of pretzels, animal crackers, 1 fritos, 1 potato chip. Prices too are pushed towards buying 'better.' The gummies are around .75. Baked chips, $1. Frito or Potato chips, $1.50.

The middle schools have their vending machines locked for ALL BUT LUNCH periods. They do NOT want the kids getting sugared up in classes.

Forum List

Back