Utah Passes Arizona-Style Immigration Law

The T

George S. Patton Party
May 24, 2009
What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS

Rut-roh...Another State that Obama and Holder can go after...:eusa_whistle:

Utah lawmakers have approved an immigration package that includes an enforcement law reminiscent of Arizona's but tempered with a guest worker program for illegal immigrants.

The immigration measures approved by both chambers Friday night would allow illegal immigrants to get a permit to work in Utah. But they also include a requirement that police check the immigrant status of anyone stopped for a felony or serious misdemeanor.

Sounds like Washington will love that. A state that allows illegals to get a permit? WTF?

From the last two paragraphs of the thread link:

The most vocal critic, Rep. Chris Herrod, R-Provo, said a guest worker program would draw more illegal immigrants to Utah."People think we'll be seen as compassionate," Herrod said. "People will actually see us as weak. They will see we don't care about the rule of law."

Sounds like Washington will love that. A state that allows illegals to get a permit? WTF?

From the last two paragraphs of the thread link:

The most vocal critic, Rep. Chris Herrod, R-Provo, said a guest worker program would draw more illegal immigrants to Utah."People think we'll be seen as compassionate," Herrod said. "People will actually see us as weak. They will see we don't care about the rule of law."

And all the more reason for the US Government to control the borders better. Right now it's a sieve.

Utah lawmakers have approved an immigration package that includes an enforcement law reminiscent of Arizona's but tempered with a guest worker program for illegal immigrants.

The immigration measures approved by both chambers Friday night would allow illegal immigrants to get a permit to work in Utah. But they also include a requirement that police check the immigrant status of anyone stopped for a felony or serious misdemeanor.

What part of illegal dont people understand.

States should be able to control who goes in and out of their borders too I think...

They want to know if people are there legally.

Sure, let's abandon the constitution.

The Feds are the one's who have abandoned the Constitution. They are obligated to defend our borders and they choose not to. Time for you to wake up!

What part of illegal dont people understand.

I think the only thing they do understand is convenience and something for nothing. They understand want and the end justifies the means. They understand that if they don't get caught, it didn't happen. They understand that when they get caught, it is the law that should go on trial, not them. They're Special. ;)

The Feds are the one's who have abandoned the Constitution. They are obligated to defend our borders and they choose not to. Time for you to wake up!

The federal government has the right to set for itself priorities regarding what issues it will address, and how fully it will address them. If you have a problem with what the federal government is doing, then you should write your Congressperson and/or Senators. And if you don't get the results you want, you should take that into account the next time you go to the ballot box.

In any event, what priorities the federal government sets does not negate the fact that what is being suggested is against the constitution. The states do not have the power to set immigration policy, and they do not have the power to regulate who comes into the state. Even if the federal government completely fails on this matter, it does not give the states a right to take the constitution into their own hands.

The federal government has the right to set for itself priorities regarding what issues it will address, and how fully it will address them. If you have a problem with what the federal government is doing, then you should write your Congressperson and/or Senators. And if you don't get the results you want, you should take that into account the next time you go to the ballot box.

In any event, what priorities the federal government sets does not negate the fact that what is being suggested is against the constitution. The states do not have the power to set immigration policy, and they do not have the power to regulate who comes into the state. Even if the federal government completely fails on this matter, it does not give the states a right to take the constitution into their own hands.

They aren't setting immigration policy. They are merely enforcing the Federal Law that the Feds are refusing to do. That's pretty cut and dried. And I've never heard that the Feds could choose to ignore Federal Law. Where is it written in the constitution that that is allowed?

They aren't setting immigration policy. They are merely enforcing the Federal Law that the Feds are refusing to do.

The states do not have the power to enforce immigration law. It is a federal matter. And when states start setting rules about who can and cannot come into that state, based on immigration status, that IS creating immigration policy.

And I've never heard that the Feds could choose to ignore Federal Law. Where is it written in the constitution that that is allowed?

Like I said, the federal government has the power to set priorities. You want something in the constitution that says they cannot, well I challenge you to show where in the constitution it says that they MUST set one priority over another, or that they cannot prioritize at all the issues at hand. If Congress and the President so wish, they could do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING all day every day and never once turn their attention to the task of governing. There is no constitutional requirement that they get anything at all done. Whether they do or don't, and whether what they accomplish is satisfactory or not, is a matter between the officer and his constituents, to be addressed at the ballot box.

They aren't setting immigration policy. They are merely enforcing the Federal Law that the Feds are refusing to do.

The states do not have the power to enforce immigration law. It is a federal matter. And when states start setting rules about who can and cannot come into that state, based on immigration status, that IS creating immigration policy.

And I've never heard that the Feds could choose to ignore Federal Law. Where is it written in the constitution that that is allowed?

Like I said, the federal government has the power to set priorities. You want something in the constitution that says they cannot, well I challenge you to show where in the constitution it says that they MUST set one priority over another, or that they cannot prioritize at all the issues at hand. If Congress and the President so wish, they could do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING all day every day and never once turn their attention to the task of governing. There is no constitutional requirement that they get anything at all done. Whether they do or don't, and whether what they accomplish is satisfactory or not, is a matter between the officer and his constituents, to be addressed at the ballot box.

The States have the right and responsibility to enforce the laws of the land within their borders. Or are you saying that illegal aliens have more rights than US citizens?

The States have the right and responsibility to enforce the laws of the land within their borders. Or are you saying that illegal aliens have more rights than US citizens?

False dilemma that implies a straw man no less.

Illegal immigration is not a criminal violation, in case you didn't know. It's a civil matter. Thus, there is no room for state level enforcement of immigration law, beyond maybe setting regulations for how employers must verify legal work permission. Do I like what all this amounts to? Not at all. I wish there were stronger laws in place and greatly expanded enforcement. But trying to claim a non-existent constitutional issue will not advance the anti-illegal immigration agenda. States need to focus adhering to their constitutional options while the general public holds the federal government more accountable for its failures in education. For example, states could establish laws that require English be the language of use in public schools, and adopt policies that would take anchor baby children away from illegal alien parents who rely on government benefits via their child. Just a couple examples off the top of my head.

States should be able to control who goes in and out of their borders too I think...

They want to know if people are there legally.

Sure, let's abandon the constitution.

The federal gov't has been diligently not protecting our borders because it wants an influx of potential voters. People who can't even speak or read english, much less have any respect for our laws and people. But hey, a vote is a vote. And the powers that be don't give a crapola as to where that vote comes from, so long as they get them. Sounds like a good reason to vote them out of office... Now there's a vote, for ya.

Forum List

Back