Utah bans target shooting over forest fire concerns

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Target shooting has caused 21 fires in Utah this year!!! Plus they cause horrible noise pollution. Target shooting is dangerous and stupid.

Utah Bans Target Shooting

Utah Bans Target Shooting In First-ever Initiative of Its Kind

July 12th, 2012

Utah’s state forester announced a ban Tuesday on target shooting in some rural areas in the first-ever initiative of its kind.

Dick Buehler said the ban will take effect Wednesday for specific target-shooting sites on public or private land in Cache, Davis, Summit and Utah counties.

The forester says much of Utah remains tinder dry and ready to burn. Buehler previously banned the use of exploding targets, fireworks and steel-jacketed bullets on unincorporated private and state lands in Utah. Steel-jacketed bullets can give off sparks when they hit rocks.

Five major wildfires were burning on national forests or range lands in Utah on Tuesday, half as many as a week ago. Fire crews were keeping the active fires largely contained.

Buehler’s order comes as another hot and dry week settles over Utah, raising the fire danger.

With sparks from bullets blamed for 21 of Utah’s wildfires this year, Gov. Gary Herbert and legislative leaders last week empowered Buehler to restrict activities outside of cities and towns, except for on federal lands that make up much of Utah. The U.S. Forest Service says it isn’t prohibiting shooting.

Gotta agree with Mr. H...nothing "stupid" about target practice. Stopping it while it is too dangerous to do it is smart.

Of course, with our increasing temperatures across the globe, could be restrictive.

• Banned
Buehler needs a day off.

I can understand the ban considering the circumstances, but target shooting is not "stupid".

Yes it is stupid. I'm a libertarian and i support letting people do what they want when it doesn't harm others but target shooting does harm others. It starts forest fires, and results in stray bullets hitting other people, and makes noise you can hear 5 miles away. Just so a bunch of drunken bums can shoot up the countryside.

Last edited:
You can still taRget shoot indoors where it is controlled enough to protect everyone.

Target shooting has caused 21 fires in Utah this year!!! Plus they cause horrible noise pollution. Target shooting is dangerous and stupid.

July 12th, 2012

Utah’s state forester announced a ban Tuesday on target shooting in some rural areas in the first-ever initiative of its kind.

Dick Buehler said the ban will take effect Wednesday for specific target-shooting sites on public or private land in Cache, Davis, Summit and Utah counties.

The forester says much of Utah remains tinder dry and ready to burn. Buehler previously banned the use of exploding targets, fireworks and steel-jacketed bullets on unincorporated private and state lands in Utah. Steel-jacketed bullets can give off sparks when they hit rocks.

Five major wildfires were burning on national forests or range lands in Utah on Tuesday, half as many as a week ago. Fire crews were keeping the active fires largely contained.

Buehler’s order comes as another hot and dry week settles over Utah, raising the fire danger.

With sparks from bullets blamed for 21 of Utah’s wildfires this year, Gov. Gary Herbert and legislative leaders last week empowered Buehler to restrict activities outside of cities and towns, except for on federal lands that make up much of Utah. The U.S. Forest Service says it isn’t prohibiting shooting.

those danged anti gun Mormons.

Wow! I'll bet the NRA is going "ape-shit" over this, and are convinced this is a plot by liberals to restrict gun usage!

Buehler needs a day off.

I can understand the ban considering the circumstances, but target shooting is not "stupid".

Yes it is stupid. I'm a libertarian and i support letting people do what they want when it doesn't harm others but target shooting does harm others. It starts forest fires, and results in stray bullets hitting other people, and makes noise you can hear 5 miles away. Just so a bunch of drunken bums can shoot up the countryside.

I suppose the ban is only temporary and understandable given the extreme dry conditions. I don't know if the outdoor ranges are also closed by this ban. If not, that would probably be the best place for target shooting.

I disagree with the above poster on target shooting. I own several firearms and have taken part in hundreds of rifle matches. It is a terrific sport stressing safety, control, and concentration. Shooters are aware of their surroundings and especially what is downrange. Most hunters and target shooters I have been around are very conscientious about what they are doing, and police their areas and gather and dispose of their trash. If they ever caused a fire, I'm sure they would put it out immediately. I would never shoot after drinking or while drinking, nor would I put myself in danger by staying anywhere near someone who did. I think the stereotype of shooters as a bunch of drunken bums is quite offensive and quite mistaken.

July 12th, 2012

But Willard shoots VARMINTS.

Buehler needs a day off.

LOL, what???? :confused:

July 12th, 2012

But Willard shoots VARMINTS.

so does Cheney.

Buehler? Buehler?

muaddib-albums-madmuad-picture4628-bueller-ben-stein.jpg

[

I disagree with the above poster on target shooting. I own several firearms and have taken part in hundreds of rifle matches. It is a terrific sport stressing safety, control, and concentration. Shooters are aware of their surroundings and especially what is downrange. Most hunters and target shooters I have been around are very conscientious about what they are doing, and police their areas and gather and dispose of their trash. If they ever caused a fire, I'm sure they would put it out immediately. I would never shoot after drinking or while drinking, nor would I put myself in danger by staying anywhere near someone who did. I think the stereotype of shooters as a bunch of drunken bums is quite offensive and quite mistaken.

That's all a lie. I live in a woodsy area where there is lots of target shooting and there's beer bottles laying around everywhere where they shoot. Plus the shooters don't even use backstops. They just put a target on a tree 8 inches thick and blast away. I've see dozens of trees toppled over by these crazy target shooters.

I remember years ago i was shooting at a range and some idiot had his kid with him. Kid could barely walk - was maybe two years old but the idiot let the kid shoot his gun!!

[

That's all a lie. I live in a woodsy area where there is lots of target shooting and there's beer bottles laying around everywhere where they shoot. Plus the shooters don't even use backstops. They just put a target on a tree 8 inches thick and blast away. I've see dozens of trees toppled over by these crazy target shooters.

I remember years ago i was shooting at a range and some idiot had his kid with him. Kid could barely walk - was maybe two years old but the idiot let the kid shoot his gun!!

Of course, the woods behind your house are indicative of people everywhere....

Forum List

Back