USWNT upsets No.1 Germany, advances to 4th World Cup final

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
The US Women's National Soccer Team upset No.1 Germany to advance to it's fourth final, and will attempt to be the first team in history to win three titles. They will face the winner of the England vs. Japan matchup on July 5.

The United States defeated Germany 2-0 in the Women's World Cup semifinal on Tuesday night in Montreal.

Second-half goals from Carli Lloyd and Kelley O'Hara were enough see the U.S. through to the final, where they will meet the winner of Wednesday's clash between England and defending champions Japan.

Neither team were able to break the deadlock in the first half, with Julie Johnston and Alex Morgan going close for the United States.

United States beat Germany to progress through to WWC final - ESPN FC

I watched.

The German chick ( last name pronounced "sausage" ) choked on her penalty kick after Julie Johnston shoulder tackled her to impede Sasic's path to the goal. Hope Solo dove left and the great and legendary Sasic could have tapped it in.

I don't understand the penalty on Germany when Alex Morgan basically just ran into the German defender. Plus, it was outside the box. I guess it's like a charging/blocking call in basketball: the big sponsor darling usually gets the call in her favor.

The second goal for the US was total legitness. It was a thing of beauty with 4 crisp passes and a flying ninja kick by O'Hara. I think Kelley O'Hara is my favorite player.

Anyway, I was wrong about Germany on the boring sport thread-- they have some attractive players. I don't know what team picture I was looking at before.

Okay game. Nice second goal for O'Hara. Nice head collision with lots of blood and both girls stayed in the game. Apparently FIFA has more lax concussion protocol than the NFL (and more lax domestic abuse policies-- Ray Rice should play soccer).

Forum List

Back