Usual excuses for failing the physical part.

In fairness ask yourself this: What was the physical requirements for ISIS? Were there even any? Doing a lot better in Iraq than we did. :)

Physical requirements likely came about from past real-world necessities. But bear little resemblance to objective desireable qualities. So you can't do x number of pull-ups. How often do you need to do pull-ups in modern warfare? Ever? Sure, gotta be able to carry however much a modern combat ready pack weighs plus all the other stuff. But how far is it you're then usually walking?

I'd rather field an army of pasty faced accountants who breath fire with their zeal than a bunch of gym queens only in it for the GI Bill or something.

Physical requirements likely came about from past real-world necessities. But bear little resemblance to objective desireable qualities. So you can't do x number of pull-ups. How often do you need to do pull-ups in modern warfare? Ever? Sure, gotta be able to carry however much a modern combat ready pack weighs plus all the other stuff. But how far is it you're then usually walking?

I'd rather field an army of pasty faced accountants who breath fire with their zeal than a bunch of gym queens only in it for the GI Bill or something.
Believe me...pull ups can be important...upper body strength...pulling yourself up and over a wall....quickly.

Believe me...pull ups can be important...upper body strength...pulling yourself up and over a wall....quickly.

Muscles used aren't the same as used doing a pull-up. Plus if someone's shooting at you that you need to get over a wall I dare say you'll do a little hop first so unless they let you do that for each pull-up it's not a useful simulation.

I'm not saying pt isn't important, especially for something like infantry, I'm just saying it's not the end all be all metric.

We throw out or disqualify too many people. How many Arabic language translators were tossed out after 9/11 for being gay? Lots. How many military recruits are tossed out or disqualified for not measuring up to let's face it, arbitraily defined standards not often encountered in modern warfare?

If the pull up requirement is more than 2 it's too many. How many walls do you expect to find requiring you're going over it as opposed to oh I don't know, going around it, or through it? :)

I'm not saying pt isn't important, especially for something like infantry, I'm just saying it's not the end all be all metric.

We throw out or disqualify too many people. How many Arabic language translators were tossed out after 9/11 for being gay? Lots. How many military recruits are tossed out or disqualified for not measuring up to let's face it, arbitraily defined standards not often encountered in modern warfare?

If the pull up requirement is more than 2 it's too many. How many walls do you expect to find requiring you're going over it as opposed to oh I don't know, going around it, or through it? :)

I don't even know where to start in trying to explain to you that they're not really testing people for their skill at doing pull-ups.

Forum List

Back