US's triple-A credit rating 'under threat'

M14 Shooter

The Light of Truth
Sep 26, 2007
Bridge, USS Enterprise
US's triple-A credit rating 'under threat'
By Francesco Guerrera, Aline van Duyn and Daniel Pimlott,in New York

Published: January 11 2008 02:00 | Last updated: January 11 2008 02:00

The US is at risk of losing its top-notch triple-A credit rating within a decade unless it takes radical action to curb soaring healthcare and social security spending, Moody's, the credit rating agency, said yesterday.

The warning over the future of the triple-A rating - granted to US government debt since it was first assessed in 1917 - reflects growing concerns over the country's ability to retain its financial and economic supremacy.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/fcc631cc-bf...r=http://www.drudgereport.com/&nclick_check=1

I can't tell you how many times I have said that if you REALLY want to address the deficts and debt, you need to cut entitlrment spending.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/fcc631cc-bf...r=http://www.drudgereport.com/&nclick_check=1

I can't tell you how many times I have said that if you REALLY want to address the deficts and debt, you need to cut entitlrment spending.

I agree with you, believe me. I'd like to see a masive cut in Defense spending as well, but as far as entitlement spending goes, who do you think is actually going to DO IT?

It's easy to SAY that you want to, but of the candidates, who's record matches up with that rhetoric? The only one in the field who actually cares about cutting spending like a TRUE fiscal conservative is RP, and his record clearly indicates that. NO ONE is more fiscally responsible based on their record, as RP is.

Obviously I'm partial to him, but name ONE of those Rep. candidates that will actually DO IT.

That's easy:
People that care more about the country than their own political power.

You think any of those republicans care about the country more than their own power, besides RP?

Romney's a fucking hardcore big-businessman turned politician...all he KNOWS is power. Besides that, he's pretty liberal when you match him up against his record. Same with Giuliani. McCain is showing his true colors lately.

I'd say Thompson is about as close to conservative as you got if you're ruling out RP, but you can see that the conservative base is either not picking up on that because they watch too much TV, or they just don't care.

I''m not quite sure exactly what the hell is happening to the republican party, but it's really disheartening. I can't believe the crap that's been given to us by the media this election.

You think any of those republicans care about the country more than their own power, besides RP?
I do.

I''m not quite sure exactly what the hell is happening to the republican party, but it's really disheartening. I can't believe the crap that's been given to us by the media this election.
The GOP is now where the Dems were in 1980 or so.
The Dems and the GOP have both been sliding to the left for decades.

I was addressing the question more generically -
-I- care more about the contry than my own poplitical power.

And, whatever you want to say about the current GOP cadnidates -- however bad they mau be in this regard, there's no question that all of the Dem candidates are far far worse.

I was addressing the question more generically -
-I- care more about the contry than my own poplitical power.

And, whatever you want to say about the current GOP cadnidates -- however bad they mau be in this regard, there's no question that all of the Dem candidates are far far worse.

but you didn't answer the question.

and "cutting entitlements" is always the cry of the republicans...but they had the white house and congress for six straight years and spent like drunken sailors the entire time... if you are going to spend that kind of money, don't cut taxes.

but you didn't answer the question.

and "cutting entitlements" is always the cry of the republicans...but they had the white house and congress for six straight years and spent like drunken sailors the entire time... if you are going to spend that kind of money, don't cut taxes.

It's a shame that it takes a Democrat to explain the simplicity of the errors that the GOP has made in the execution of their own ideology. No offense to you, of course.

None of these GOP candidates has a better record on spending then Ron Paul. What makes any of you think that just because now that they are running for president, and SAYING they want to cut spending, they actually WILL now?

When will America finally stop falling for empty promises?

It's a shame that it takes a Democrat to explain the simplicity of the errors that the GOP has made in the execution of their own ideology. No offense to you, of course.

None of these GOP candidates has a better record on spending then Ron Paul. What makes any of you think that just because now that they are running for president, and SAYING they want to cut spending, they actually WILL now?

When will America finally stop falling for empty promises?

It really boils down to this. The mainstream GOP has betrayed their base, they promised lower government spending and have only increased government spending and put no emphasis on cutting spending.

The mainstream DEM has betrayed their base by increasing US military commitments and allowing the situation in Iraq to escalate.

Each party wishes to establish an integrated global economy, undermine US national sovereignty (most of them truly believe that nation states are a threat to world peace), expand US military commitments and military alliances (like NATO), and expand the power of the government (GOP through wire tapping and patriot act type bills and the DEMs through social welfare and a higher claim to one's income).

Dont be silly. Its clear to anyone that pays attention that the GOP is no longer a conservative party.

Well I'm glad someone besides a RP supporter or a Dem is willing to admit that.

I would ASSUME that you're a conservative R, based on what you say in posts. If not, please correct me. If so, how does it make you feel to know you don't have a mainstream party representing you anymore?

Well I'm glad someone besides a RP supporter or a Dem is willing to admit that.
Wasn't it implicit when I said that:
-The GOP is now where the Dems were in 1980 or so.
-The Dems and the GOP have both been sliding to the left for decades.

If so, how does it make you feel to know you don't have a mainstream party representing you anymore?
How I feel about it is irrelevant, in the context of this thread -- however bad the curent GOP candidates may be in this regard, there's no question that all of the Dem candidates are far far worse.

The point here is that, as noted, we need to get a handle on our runaway entitlement spending -- a point the Liberals/Dems among us haven't addressed.

Wasn't it implicit when I said that:
-The GOP is now where the Dems were in 1980 or so.
-The Dems and the GOP have both been sliding to the left for decades.

How I feel about it is irrelevant, in the context of this thread -- however bad the curent GOP candidates may be in this regard, there's no question that all of the Dem candidates are far far worse.

The point here is that, as noted, we need to get a handle on our runaway entitlement spending -- a point the Liberals/Dems among us haven't addressed.

Ok, so while you won't state your real feelings about your party, you'll still admit they've moved away from their historical ideology.

Do you plan on doing something as an American citizen to help change that, or do you think that just bringing up discussions in message boards is sufficient?

Are you active in your community politically? Are you trying to physically be a part of changing things? Because politics as usual in Washington are never going to change at the hands of the politicians, no matter how much they promise it.

Do you plan on doing something as an American citizen to help change that, or do you think that just bringing up discussions in message boards is sufficient?
You can rant all you want about the GOP and your pet candidate - that's not the point of the conversation here, and I will let you shadow-box to your heart's content.

Why dont you add to the conversation, rather than try to change the subject? Or, do you not care about runaway entitlement spending and the damage its causing our credit rating?

You can rant all you want about the GOP and your pet candidate - that's not the point of the conversation here, and I will let you shadow-box to your heart's content.

Why dont you add to the conversation, rather than try to change the subject? Or, do you not care about runaway entitlement spending and the damage its causing our credit rating?

Change the subject. Ok dude. I was RIGHT ON subject. I asked you if you personally went out into your community to do something about changing things. That includes changing things about entitlement spending.

What else can you add to this conversation? There's runaway spending in Washington, and it doesn't look like things are going to change. I'm just curious if you cared enough to personally go out and do something about it.

You never give straight answers here, you always try and dodge questions. Why is that?

Of course you were.

:cuckoo:

I'm asking you if you've ever gone out and done anything to help change the political status quo. This includes entitlement spending problems. Entitlement spending is what you want to talk about, but you won't answer my question. This is like 3 threads now where you've avoided answering a simple question of mine.

Emoticons don't make you look any more coherent in your argument.

Would you rather just bitch and complain about it on a message board? Because yeah brother, THAT'S going to change things.

Here's the reason why I'm asking if you have ever gone out and done some political activism to try and get the changes you'd like to see:

A friend of mine who is even more politically active then me, and who has access to people higher up in the GOP establishment, has been talking to some of the party insiders this past weekend. He said discussions involving people as high up as Mike Duncan, RNC chairman, have been ongoing recently about the way the GOP is heading, and how the Ron Paul movement is reshaping the current GOP platform. They realize concessions must be made if the GOP is to continue to thrive. They said that they know the party will lose elections to Democrats in the future without the current 8-15% (and growing) of republicans who have embraced Ron Paul's conservative platform, and that irreparable damage could be done to the party which could last for decades.

Apparently, the Republican brass are starting to realize the importance now of returning to their core values.

You may not like Ron Paul, but the movement that has ensued has caused the party leadership to realize that straying from their original values has hurt them, and will continue to, if they don't make changes.

I know I can personally say that things I have done politically this past year have helped contribute to this. I was just wondering if you could say the same.

Forum List

Back