USS Liberty June 8th 1967

OK, I have no dog in this fight, but why would Israel attack her major military and economic sponsor?

The article I posted suggests that Liberty had some information that proved Israel's reason for attacking Egypt and Syria were less than truthful.

Why did Israel try to sink a naval vessel of its benefactor and ally? Most likely because "Liberty's" intercepts flatly contradicted Israel's claim, made at the war's beginning on 5 June, that Egypt had attacked Israel, and that Israel's massive air assault on three Arab nations was in retaliation. In fact, Israel began the war by a devastating, Pearl-Harbor style surprise attack that caught the Arabs in bed and destroyed their entire air forces.

Israel was also preparing to attack Syria to seize its strategic Golan Heights. Washington warned Israel not to invade Syria, which had remained inactive while Israel fought Egypt. Bamford says Israel's offensive against Syria was abruptly postponed when "Liberty" appeared off Sinai, then launched once it was knocked out of action. Israel's claim that Syria had attacked it could have been disproved by "Liberty."

please there are other threads for that debate... all i ask is for everyone to take a minute and remember the men who served....

I think we are entering the Protocols of the Elders of Zion territory here.

Look, I really was in the US Navy, for yonks.

If Israel did attack a US ship during the 1967 war, believe me it was an accident. War has confusion and fog that is what war is.

Israel had no serious strategic reason to antagonize the US in that war.

Next, is the Sasquawtch really Ben Gurion coming back from the dead to wreck a horrible vengeance?

You do?

Then perhaps you should study that event more closely.

Clearly something was amiss.

Not a clue why Israel attacked the Liberty but it surely did.

I'm convinced from what I read on the subject that it was a regrettable friendly fire incident.

I've certainly seen no evidence that makes this statement in Bone's sig line true: The Israeli forces attacked with full knowledge that this was an American ship and lied about it.

You do?

OK, no clue. How many Canadians has America hit in freindly fire?

Do you think it a conspiracy?

You do?

OK, no clue. How many Canadians has America hit in freindly fire?

Do you think it a conspiracy?

I don't have enough information to conclude that it was.

Based on what I've read of the incident, it certainly doesn't look like the "Fog of War" excuse makes much sense.

But if it was a conspiracy to sink that ship Israel failed to sink it even though, again based on my memory of what I've read, they certainly could have.

So we have an incident where it certainly LOOKS LIKE Israel set out to attack athe Liberty.

We do not, however, really have any motivate that we can ascribe to Isreal to WANT to attack it.

Oh I know that some of us believe that the Liberty found evidence to support the theory that Israel started that war, and I do not doubt that, either.

But there is so much evidence other than the Liberty's that supports that theory, that the sinking of that ship to repress that evidence simply still doesn't make sense.

And there's still another theory that the Isreali attacked the ship because the ship could show that the Isreali were murdering POWS.

But that doesn't wash because as far as I can tell Israel doesn't CARE if people know that, either.

So my problem here isn't based on my love of Isreal or my belief that Isreal did not attack the Liberty.

My problem here is that even the theories which presume that Isreal set out to attack that ship to repress something it could tell us still make very little sense.

What's Isreal's motive for attacking it and then not sinking it?

To hide something from the USA which was apparent with or without the Liberty's evidence?

So these conspiracy theories make no sense to me.

The MOTIVE question still looms large in this case.

Until somebody can give me a motive for Israel wanting to attack that ship, I continue NOT to have a theory for WHY it happened.

Last edited:
you know this needs no debate right no ...i did not mention anything but remembering the men who died on this day on this ship.

would there be this debate if toro mentioned the 3 canadians killed by friendly fire by the us?

you know this needs no debate right no ...i did not mention anything but remembering the men who died on this day on this ship.

would there be this debate if toro mentioned the 3 canadians killed by friendly fire by the us?
:lol: Your sig line gives you away.

o i didnt even think abou that just changed it the other day....o i dont think its friendly fire anyone reading any prior posts knows how i feel about the subject...but this is not the day for that ...now is it....

OK, I have no dog in this fight, but why would Israel attack her major military and economic sponsor?

Although I respect strollingbones request not to discuss this matter, it is my memory of the events, that the attack was to prevent the US from knowing that Israel was pushing past the line agreed upon by both Israel and the US, and claiming extra land.

Also, the evidence is clear that the attack was intentional, and the US Government did a cover-up to prevent anti-Israel sentiment.

I, along with many others, do remember, with respect, those that served and died on the USS Liberty, June 8th 1967.

That day the US accidentally shot down an Iranian commerical airliner, killing 290 people including 66 children. It was a tradegy no doubt. The conspiracy theorist, like Bones and Bobo ,along with the antisemites, like Sunni, WJ and Little Willy, stated that America shot down the airliner on purpose. They came up with main crazy reason why, but not one reason pointed to any benefit to America. In fact all it did was hurt America in every way shape and form. Common Sense points to America being guilty of negligence and not an intentional act. Most people let it go quickly, since well Jews weren't involved and well honestly mostly Iranians were the victims.

Same reasoning can be applied here. Common sense dictates that Israel had everything to lose on purposefully attacking a US warship and nothing to gain! I am not sure why the antisemites have such a hard time comprehending this!

Iran Air Flight 655 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back