Usps?

99% of my mail goes right in the shredder. Therefore.. it can't be that necessary.

I'd guess I'm closer to about 50%. So if you add up all of us that have some % of our mail that's just junk it seems like there's at least something to try to help get the usps out of the red. Do away with the cheap bulk mail rates. All that crap clogs up the system, utilizes time, energy, and other resources to move it from point A to point B when it then gets tossed in the trash? Screw that. Charge more, a lot more, for it and most of it will disappear.

Ummm...no.
The USPS loses money on 1st class.
It is the bulk rate that they make the most money off of.
Get rid of junk mail and the USPS would lose 50 times as much.

99% of my mail goes right in the shredder. Therefore.. it can't be that necessary.

I'd guess I'm closer to about 50%. So if you add up all of us that have some % of our mail that's just junk it seems like there's at least something to try to help get the usps out of the red. Do away with the cheap bulk mail rates. All that crap clogs up the system, utilizes time, energy, and other resources to move it from point A to point B when it then gets tossed in the trash? Screw that. Charge more, a lot more, for it and most of it will disappear.

Ummm...no.
The USPS loses money on 1st class.
It is the bulk rate that they make the most money off of.
Get rid of junk mail and the USPS would lose 50 times as much.

just saw that sorry...right on.

Why is the USPS so untouchable? IF we don't need it, we don't need it. I'm virtually paperless, all my bills & mortgage are on e-pay, I get e-statements and e-bills.

Who need catalogs? Sorry, it is an antiquated institution kept around for the benefit of one group -

POSTAL EMPLOYEES - FORMER, CURRENT AND FUTURE.

"Here you go. Mail is evil. Pass it on. Hey, mail blows. Fax it to a friend."

- Cosmo Kramer

Postal Employee: "May I help you?"
Kramer: "Yeah, I'd like to cancel my mail."
Postal Employee: "Certainly. How long would you like us to hold it?"
Kramer: "Oh, no, no. I don't think you get me. I want out, permanently."
Newman: "I'll handle this, Violet. Why don't you take your three hour break?
Oh, calm down, everyone. No one's cancelling any mail."
Kramer: "Oh, yes, I am."

Last edited:
Postmaster General: "Kramer, I've been, uh, reading some of your material
here. I gotta be honest with you: you make a pretty strong case. I mean, just
imagine. An army of men in wool pants running through the neighborhood
handing out pottery catalogs, door to door."

Postmaster General: "Kramer, I've been, uh, reading some of your material
here. I gotta be honest with you: you make a pretty strong case. I mean, just
imagine. An army of men in wool pants running through the neighborhood
handing out pottery catalogs, door to door."

"Shouldn't the bucket be on your head?"

Kramer, entering Jerry's apartment: "Well... I've had it with these
jackbooted thugs!"
Jerry: "'Pottery Barn'?"
Kramer: "I got three 'Pottery Barn' catalogs in one day. That makes eight
this month."

It's a public service.
That we can't afford and don't need.

Without the USPS my entire industry would be extinct.
And BTW...we are the 10th largest employer industry in the nation.

Yeah...let's get rid of the USPS :cuckoo:

Yes... there exist no private companies to mail your packages...:cuckoo:

And Employer? Doing what? They don't create wealth. Much of their service is unwanted (see: junkmail). And, as federal employees, their paychecks are a combination monetary inflation and removal of wealth from the private sector (taxation) so that whatever isn't waste or squandered somewhere can be returned to the private market (when they go to the grovery store)

What part of this all makes a lick o' sense?

That we can't afford and don't need.

Without the USPS my entire industry would be extinct.
And BTW...we are the 10th largest employer industry in the nation.

Yeah...let's get rid of the USPS :cuckoo:

Yes... there exist no private companies to mail your packages...:cuckoo:

And Employer? Doing what? They don't create wealth. Much of their service is unwanted (see: junkmail). And, as federal employees, their paychecks are a combination monetary inflation and removal of wealth from the private sector (taxation) so that whatever isn't waste or squandered somewhere can be returned to the private market (when they go to the grovery store)

What part of this all makes a lick o' sense?

I think the answer is... yea there are, but I'd have to pay full freight.

Um... i've never recieved a letter via UPS or Fedex :p

Besides, the establishment of post offices and post roads is one of the few things actually enumerated in the constitution

Um... i've never recieved a letter via UPS or Fedex :p

Besides, the establishment of post offices and post roads is one of the few things actually enumerated in the constitution

I have.. they do flats fer sher. They're just not as cheap at the USPS, for obvious reasons.

I'm still pretty happy with the Post Office. We might perhaps look at how to make it more efficient though

I'm still pretty happy with the Post Office. We might perhaps look at how to make it more efficient though

And self-sufficient. If we could do this, then what the hay. Liek I said, it would probably mean $2.00 stamps.

So be it.. I use about 10 a year.

I owe the USPS a stamp.

Back in college, I defrauded the postal service out of the cost of mailing a first class letter.

I placed an empty envelope in the mail without a stamp, with a bogus recipient address, and my friend's legitimate return address to see if it would be returned to him for LACK OF POSTAGE. I just wanted to see if it would work.

And to tell you the truth, I don't think I ever followed up on it.

So... USPS keeps losing money.

Now... DNL and Fedex seem to make money, so the market can handle this.

The problem with getting rid of USPS directly is that we depend on it for delivery of government documents and utilities use it to deliver bills.

So.... what's the solution?

Cut mail service to one day a week, Wednesday, and have people pick their mail up at the post office, or charge them FEDEX rates per piece for delivery, about $5. a letter. Make USPS slim & trim & competitive in the letter business. Stop package delivery & other services.

I owe the USPS a stamp.

Back in college, I defrauded the postal service out of the cost of mailing a first class letter.

I placed an empty envelope in the mail without a stamp, with a bogus recipient address, and my friend's legitimate return address to see if it would be returned to him for LACK OF POSTAGE. I just wanted to see if it would work.

And to tell you the truth, I don't think I ever followed up on it.

You shouldn't make such public confessions. There is no limitation on mail fraud, and you could end up in the slammer for 20 years.

New Topics

Forum List

Back