USMessageBoard natural law

idb

Gold Member
Dec 26, 2010
We've all heard of Godwin's Law.

May I posit the USMB Law for peer review;
"The inevitable process of degeneration of any thread to a final, irreducible point at which all discussion is conducted from positions of extreme political partisanship, and characterised by instinctive hostile opposition to any opinion or contention expressed by, and natural denigration of, any poster of a perceived antithetic political viewpoint."

I admit that this is a bit clumsy and would welcome any assistance in distilling it to a more succinct maxim, and also suggestions for further refinement.

What I am trying to say is "No matter the subject matter of the original post, a thread will inevitably degenerate into a division along political lines and name-calling"

"The inevitable process of degeneration of any thread to a final, irreducible point at which all discussion is conducted from positions of extreme political partisanship, and characterised by instinctive hostile opposition to any opinion or contention expressed by, and natural denigration of, any poster of a perceived antithetic political viewpoint."

:lol: Word.

But it needs a catchier name than USMB law.

:lol: Word.

But it needs a catchier name than USMB law.

You're right...I'd appreciate any help

I admit that this is a bit clumsy and would welcome any assistance in distilling it to a more succinct maxim, and also suggestions for further refinement.

What I am trying to say is "No matter the subject matter of the original post, a thread will inevitably degenerate into a division along political lines and name-calling"

Meh. Doesn't this happen on All Message Boards?

Meh...We have numerous posters who get to it from the OP.

Meh. Doesn't this happen on All Message Boards?

Well, to a degree, but not with the vehemence I've seen here.
It seems important for posters here to identify the political leanings other members of the board while at the same time proudly declaring their own - and tailor their responses accordingly.
I understand that this board is ostensibly a political forum but the discussions, as a rule, whether they started out being of a political nature or not, become completely polarised along political lines with no middle ground.

Don't get me wrong, I find it entertaining but also incredibly frustrating.

Forum List

Back