USMC SGT being dismissed for saying he would never follow unlawful orders!! Wow!

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Marine sergeant being dismissed for criticizing Obama - latimes.com

So this honorable USMC SGT said, simply, that he would never follow an unlawful order from the commander in chief. Which, btw, is exactly the same oath he, other military members and all cops took.

Scary times ahead folks. Barack Obama, our Commander in Chief, is allowing or ordering a USMC SGT to be dismissed from the military simply because he openly stated he would uphold his oath.

It saddens me to think what all the deceased men and women of the WW2 generation would think of our country today if they saw this is the direction it went after their horrible fight.

The Uniform Code of Military Justice prohibits uniformed personnel from making comments critical of their chain of command, including the commander-in-chief, or engaging in political activity in a context that suggests that are acting as military members.

He's being dismissed for breaking The Uniform Code of Military Justice. And this isn't even his first offens. In other words, though he claims he wouldn't follow an unlawful order, he was willing to break military law. Repeatedly.

While I agree with him when he says he should have the right to express his opinions, the military does not. And this snt something new.

Last edited:

So this honorable USMC SGT said, simply, that he would never follow an unlawful order from the commander in chief. Which, btw, is exactly the same oath he, other military members and all cops took.

Scary times ahead folks. Barack Obama, our Commander in Chief, is allowing or ordering a USMC SGT to be dismissed from the military simply because he openly stated he would uphold his oath.

It saddens me to think what all the deceased men and women of the WW2 generation would think of our country today if they saw this is the direction it went after their horrible fight.

I think they would find it right that military personnel that violates the rules is kicked out. He is being kicked out for breaking the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Do you suggest he shouldn't abide by that code?

The Uniform Code of Military Justice prohibits uniformed personnel from making comments critical of their chain of command, including the commander-in-chief, or engaging in political activity in a context that suggests that are acting as military members.

He's being dismissed for breaking The Uniform Code of Military Justice. And this isn't even his first offens. In other words, though he claims he wouldn't follow an unlawful order, he was willing to break military law. Repeatedly.

While I agree with him when he says he should have the right to express his opinions, the military does not. And this snt something new.

But...is he being "critical" of the commander in chief if he is simply saying he would never follow an unlawful order? I would think the opposite, that the commander in chief couldn't be any prouder of his men who would have such integrity as to never follow unlawful orders. Well, maybe not THIS commander in chief, but in general you know what I mean.

I think they would find it right that military personnel that violates the rules is kicked out. He is being kicked out for breaking the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Do you suggest he shouldn't abide by that code?

But he isn't being "critical" of the commander in chief. He's saying he will never follow an unlawful order from him. Which is his exact oath. Its like a private company having an employee that says "I would never violate company rules if my boss told me to violate company rules". Is that being critical of the boss? No.

Sad day when Marines are being booted for saying they will uphold their oath.

But he isn't being "critical" of the commander in chief. He's saying he will never follow an unlawful order from him. Which is his exact oath. Its like a private company having an employee that says "I would never violate company rules if my boss told me to violate company rules". Is that being critical of the boss? No.

Sad day when Marines are being booted for saying they will uphold their oath.

What you write doesn't correspond with the account given in the article you quote.

Of course, if "engaging in political activity" includes just talking about it on a message board or facebook, well, thats another interpretation. I thought it meant stuff like wearing the dress uniform to a political rally and speaking. But simply saying "Im in the military, and here is my opinion on this"??? THere are dozens of military folks on THIS message board, identifying as military members, commenting on politics. Are they in violation?

.....As if The President has the time to worry about what some individual-serviceman has decided what's best for him....or, at least, what's gonna get him the most publicity.

The Armed Forces Tea Party??

Please.

handjob.gif

.....As if The President has the time to worry about what some individual-serviceman has decided what's best for him....or, at least, what's gonna get him the most publicity.

Please.

handjob.gif

True, he has a lot of fucking-up-America to do, he hasn't got time for this. BTW, he's allowed us to creep to the verge of global chaos with oil prices, Iranian war almost guaranteed, chaotic border, healthcare disaster set to begin January 2013.........well, and plenty more.

I respect any man who has the courage to go and fight for his country. But in a democracy the military do not engage in party politics. One has to choose: either be a soldier or engage in party politics; you can't do both at the same time.

True, he has a lot of fucking-up-America to do, he hasn't got time for this. BTW, he's allowed us to creep to the verge of global chaos with oil prices, Iranian war almost guaranteed, chaotic border, healthcare disaster set to begin January 2013.........well, and plenty more.

You overrate a President's capacity to wreck the US. A US President is powerful, but not that powerful.

He chose to make that comment knowing the Military codes not to make comments against the commander in chieif. He is not the first one to do this, and I doubt the last one. The Military has become increasingly unhappy with Obama and would rather not serve under him. Obama is hurting recruitments and enlistments bigtime, and thats not a good thing. The Military is well aware that Obama doesn't stand in the Miitarys corner on anything.
I doubt seriously Obama will see many Military votes.

Please.

handjob.gif

I have to agree with Art. You're giving the office of the President way too much credit. The President is very limited in power. It's the Congress that holds the true power and the RepubliCON/Democrat pissing match has shut that power down.

Agree.

Barry is the CIC.

The Sgt can think what he likes but for him to make public what he thinks is a no, no in the military.

Sgt. should have kept his toughts to himself.

Once he retired he could say exactly what he thought.

Of course, if "engaging in political activity" includes just talking about it on a message board or facebook, well, thats another interpretation. I thought it meant stuff like wearing the dress uniform to a political rally and speaking. But simply saying "Im in the military, and here is my opinion on this"??? THere are dozens of military folks on THIS message board, identifying as military members, commenting on politics. Are they in violation?

According to your link, the guy was making political comments on his facebook page about not only the president, but about leon panetta.

This is also from your link:

get over it.

When you are in the military, you are taught to be apolitical; you do not take public stances or voice political opinions for or against somebody in the public arena. There are valid reasons for this, and I have no doubt this sgt was made aware of them in no uncertain terms. When a service member transgresses in some minor way (nobody got killed), your bosses tell you to knock it off. They gradually increase the punitive action taken until you either cease and desist or they court-martial your ass or deny you re-enlistment. So this guy was told to stop with the political opinions and he didn't do it.

When you join any service there are some restrictions on your rights and liberties that ordinary Americans don't have. And freedom of speech is one of them, you can say what you want about Obama or his policies but not in a public venue. This guy crossed the line, was told not to continue doing it, and he subsequently refused. So now he deals with the consequences. Next.

Forum List

Back