USMB Was Right On Soros, I Was Way Wrong

NATO AIR said:
One day, if the Communists don't cut my tongue out for joining up with the pro-democracy bunch in Hong Kong everytime I visit there.

I don't think I'd do very well. Maybe I could be an adviser or speechwriter?

I think sometimes I try to balance the arguments too much. I convince myself there must be a good counterargument or counterpoint, sadly, rarely that is the case anymore.

You know the chinese history books dont even mention Tianamin Square.
What do you do in Hong Kong. I travel through there alot, but sadly dont have enough time to see anything but the airport.

Kathianne said:
Here we go. Sounds innocus enough, until one realizes they just undercut the Euros that were finally speaking out:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/3634257.html

I wouldnt pin that on her unless you know for sure.

Im wondering where she is right now, might be in a "delicate" situation.

I cant believe some idiot would refer to those pics as "irresponsable", irresponsable is when a tabloid publishes knownful incorrect information, ala Dan Rather, or publishes unsubstantiated information that causes riots, ala Korans being flushed down the toilet. I dont know when OPINIONS became "irresponsable". The guy who said that should be sent to SIngapore and caned.

NATO AIR said:
I would like to thank those who debated with me in late 2004 and early 2005 about george soros. You all were very right, i was very wrong. I just completed reading "The Vast Left Wing Conspiracy" by National Review writer Byron York, and his expose of George Soros (backed by the public record that I've verified) was searing.

So yea, just thanking you (musicman, rightwingavenger, avatar, kathianne, a few others) for trying to expose me to the truth.

WOW!
I wasnt around here then. Did you have a major catharsis, or is this a one issue turnaround for you?

I was one of the most ardent die hard liberals until I got sober and woke up. Funny, when I was in one of my church adult classes, the pastor asked, "what about you has changed the most since you became a Christian?", I piped up, "I became a republican", the whole room broke out laughing.

LuvRPgrl said:
WOW!
I wasnt around here then. Did you have a major catharsis, or is this a one issue turnaround for you?

I was one of the most ardent die hard liberals until I got sober and woke up. Funny, when I was in one of my church adult classes, the pastor asked, "what about you has changed the most since you became a Christian?", I piped up, "I became a republican", the whole room broke out laughing.

:D

Kathianne converted me. Along with others, most of the regular crew around here from RWNG avenger to Avatar to GOP_Jeff to CSM to Musicman to Merlin1047 (God bless him), and newer members like you and Gunny. Adults who helped shape a new view of the world for me, removing the liberal scales over my eyes. I still am independent though, as i do disagree on various things with one or all of them. But I respect them immensely and pride myself on understanding when I was wrong in one of our arguments.

That's what keeps me coming back, every time.

LuvRPgrl said:
I wouldnt pin that on her unless you know for sure.

Im wondering where she is right now, might be in a "delicate" situation.

I cant believe some idiot would refer to those pics as "irresponsable", irresponsable is when a tabloid publishes knownful incorrect information, ala Dan Rather, or publishes unsubstantiated information that causes riots, ala Korans being flushed down the toilet. I dont know when OPINIONS became "irresponsable". The guy who said that should be sent to SIngapore and caned.

That's why I had the 'IF' in the post before that.

NATO AIR said:

Kathianne converted me. Along with others, most of the regular crew around here from RWNG avenger to Avatar to GOP_Jeff to CSM to Musicman to Merlin1047 (God bless him), and newer members like you and Gunny. Adults who helped shape a new view of the world for me, removing the liberal scales over my eyes. I still am independent though, as i do disagree on various things with one or all of them. But I respect them immensely and pride myself on understanding when I was wrong in one of our arguments.

I like independence, which is why it's fun to debate with you, not to mention that you have proved to have a rare quality, an open mind! :thup:

NATO AIR said:

It's often hard for people that are set in their ways to do something like this. To actually change based on direct information. I commend your introspection and ability to change based on a better understanding of the world....

no1tovote4 said:
It's often hard for people that are set in their ways to do something like this. To actually change based on direct information. I commend your introspection and ability to change based on a better understanding of the world....

I agree. Rare indeed, even amoung the young. I figure it has something to do with cognitive dissonance, no one likes to be uncomfortable, especially of their own making. Yet, once done, it's more likely to be repeated. I sometimes surprise myself in my thinking on things like GW, death penalty, the idea that 'all kids should be educated', etc.

I do know I'm more likely to consider other points of view if they are submitted in any forum, if the proponent does so without being a blowhard, pompous, or threatening.

NATO AIR said:

I think more conservatives have more of an independent mind than liberals. Its amazing how lock step most liberals are.
I think its funny when liberals accuse us of just patting each others backs all the time and never disagreeing with each other. I find that the conservatives here argue with each other wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than the liberals do. I know I have gotten into it with you, kathianne, RWA and others on some issues.
I too, like the other conservatives here, are very independent in thinking through issues. I never come to a conclusion based simply because someone else is, or its the parties platform. I think conservatives are much more that way than liberals, partly because the liberals main platform is defeat the republicans, rather than come up with solutions of their own. Most of what they represent is no longer issues, racism, sexism, need for unions, etc, etc. THOSE simply arent major issues anymore.
For example, Im a firm believer in open borders, yes, and I mean OPEN borders. I dont think anyone or group has the right to deny me traveling anywhere, anytime unless I have proven myself a threat by criminal activity.
I also believe drugs and prostitution shouldnt be illegal.

Usually, what changes people is marriage and family. Its the number one factor. A vast majority of the change if from liberal to conservative.

In responding also to Kathiane and No1's posts, many people, the older they get, have a hard time changing, not only cuz of ego in admitting you were wrong, but also, if you change your values and political views, it requires that you have to admit that you more or less wasted all those years with the wrong values. Its difficult to accept that for most. Admitting you wasted so many years.

I had this one guy renting a room from me for over a year. He was an ardent lifelong voting democrat. What he didnt realize was that the Republican party now supported his values more than the dems did. Day in and day out of listening to me, and the talk radio we had on, he slowly but surely got converted. He kept on saying to me, I didnt know the republicans stood for that, or this. HA!, he moved to Hawii and ran for mayor of Honolulu under the conservative republican ticket.

One of the reasons I enjoy this board is because there are alot of members with good sense of humor, and alot of people here have ways of putting things that make arguements crystal clear in a very concise way.

Often, posters make points I had never thought of before, and make alot of sense.

LuvRPgrl said:
One of the reasons I enjoy this board is because there are alot of members with good sense of humor, and alot of people here have ways of putting things that make arguements crystal clear in a very concise way.

Often, posters make points I had never thought of before, and make alot of sense.

While I am one of the 'older' members of the board, I think I'm lest wedded to ideology than many of the younger members, of both persuasions. It may be a cause of being intellectually immature, though I doubt it. :laugh:

Kathianne said:
While I am one of the 'older' members of the board, I think I'm lest wedded to ideology than many of the younger members, of both persuasions. It may be a cause of being intellectually immature, though I doubt it. :laugh:

Don't you realize us youngins know everything?

So what wire am i supposed to cut again?

Forum List

Back