USMB Sports Bar

I wouldn't have Durant instead of Love who can shoot and rebound. And I wouldn't replace him with James, who is a much better defender and all around player. I'd consider at times moving Love to the 5 and putting Durant 4 but then you'd be taking away your best interior defender Chandler, who also moves well on the pick and rolls on the perimeter.

Iguodala has no business being on this team. I also don't understand how they can have 3 PGs - Paul, Williams and Westbrook but a lack of SGs. Kobe and Harden? Really? That's their two best shooters? Kobe is not a great shooter and Harden is more of a slasher. If they got down, they would have to rely on the shooting of a Durant, a guy who doesn't always want the ball.

You do make a good point though, we do have a lack of SG's, and centers. Tyson Chandler is our only real center, and outside of Kobe and Harden what other SG should we have on this team? Wades not showing up, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. I really think we should have got Kendrick Perkins on this team as a back up center, and what about Roy Hibbert? we need size badly, and shooters.

It'll be interesting to see if Coach K thinks he has to pander to Kobe. If he gets big minutes and jacks up bricks then that'd be trouble for the US. I think he'd be better off going with Westbrook and D-Will at times along with Lebron. Put those 3 with Griffin and Chandler and you'd get some ball movement and some easy dunks. But you still have the problem of who the hell is going to make outside shots? It's a glaring weakness.

The 2008 team was better than this team, this squad cannot afford to go into any close games with anyone, as long as they come out guns blazing each game they should win the Gold, otherwise there could be trouble. Their lack of size at the center position and lack of shooters worry me. Durant performed very well at the 2010 World championships, I think he can rise to the occasion again.

I hate to admit it but I smiled when I read this.

Kevin Love losing patience with Minnesota Timberwolves' woeful ways - ESPN

I would cry tears of joy if Kevin Love went to the Celtics somehow.

I don't sympathize with Love. Great players don't cry about not making the playoffs.

He sees all these players switching teams to win now and hes getting impatient, I think with enough time him and Rubio can make quite a team if he has the patience.

I hate to admit it but I smiled when I read this.

Kevin Love losing patience with Minnesota Timberwolves' woeful ways - ESPN

I would cry tears of joy if Kevin Love went to the Celtics somehow.

I don't sympathize with Love. Great players don't cry about not making the playoffs.

He sees all these players switching teams to win now and hes getting impatient, I think with enough time him and Rubio can make quite a team if he has the patience.

Larry Bird never needed to blame teammates and management. He just went out there and played great while making his teammates great. I don't care what numbers Love puts up, he's done nothing to earn the right to complain and he's getting piles of money to shut his mouth and play ball.

Larry Bird never needed to blame teammates and management. He just went out there and played great while making his teammates great. I don't care what numbers Love puts up, he's done nothing to earn the right to complain and he's getting piles of money to shut his mouth and play ball.

I agree with you however they really don't make men like Larry Bird anymore, these guys want to win now, they all saw Lebron go to Miami and win and they see New Jersey loading up, they don't want to be out in the cold.

I agree with you however they really don't make men like Larry Bird anymore, these guys want to win now, they all saw Lebron go to Miami and win and they see New Jersey loading up, they don't want to be out in the cold.

Well even those guys have been in the league for years longer. His situation isn't even comparable. He was just given 4 years/$62 million by the Timberwolves. They were on pace for the playoffs before Rubio went down. He needs to shut his mouth and play ball.

I was just watching MLB All-Star coverage and they mentioned that baseball has two more wild cards. I think I read about that before the season, but I had otherwise forgot about it. I think I'd like that if my team was 5 and 6 and making the playoff when they wouldn't have. But otherwise, I think this kind of weakens the great regular season chases.

A team had to a bit more special to make the playoffs before. Now, the Red Sox can be dysfunctional and still make the playoffs. That sucks. But it'll be very good for teams like the Blue Jays, Orioles, Pirates, Indians, Brewers, Reds, etc.

I was just watching MLB All-Star coverage and they mentioned that baseball has two more wild cards. I think I read about that before the season, but I had otherwise forgot about it. I think I'd like that if my team was 5 and 6 and making the playoff when they wouldn't have. But otherwise, I think this kind of weakens the great regular season chases.

A team had to a bit more special to make the playoffs before. Now, the Red Sox can be dysfunctional and still make the playoffs. That sucks. But it'll be very good for teams like the Blue Jays, Orioles, Pirates, Indians, Brewers, Reds, etc.

I think the Bosox are only about 3 games out of the wild card.

Which is incredibly stupid...too many playoff spots all to muster more drama and in turn more ratings and attendance at the park. :thup:

The Heat signed Rashard Lewis. It's funny b/c he was making something like 18 or 19 million last year from the huge contract the Magic gave him. He as like the 3rd or 4th highest paid player in the league :badgrin: Now, he signed for only 2 yrs / $2.8m.

Sources -- Miami Heat reach agreement with forward Rashard Lewis - ESPN

Before Heat fans get too excited, he shot 38.5 percent last year and 24 percent from 3. And considering he'd be a perimeter forward, that's not that good.

The Heat signed Rashard Lewis. It's funny b/c he was making something like 18 or 19 million last year from the huge contract the Magic gave him. He as like the 3rd or 4th highest paid player in the league :badgrin: Now, he signed for only 2 yrs / $2.8m.

Sources -- Miami Heat reach agreement with forward Rashard Lewis - ESPN

Before Heat fans get too excited, he shot 38.5 percent last year and 24 percent from 3. And considering he'd be a perimeter forward, that's not that good.

With the refs helping him Rashard Lewis will be free to run the court unmolested hand checking people, grabbing their jerseys, tripping them and netting 3's. His numbers will probably double with that kind of protection.

Well even those guys have been in the league for years longer. His situation isn't even comparable. He was just given 4 years/$62 million by the Timberwolves. They were on pace for the playoffs before Rubio went down. He needs to shut his mouth and play ball.

I agree he needs to be more patient, the Wolves can be a good team. I still would like him on Boston though.

I think the Bosox are only about 3 games out of the wild card.

Which is incredibly stupid...too many playoff spots all to muster more drama and in turn more ratings and attendance at the park. :thup:

In related news, it still sucks to be a Royals fan.

It's the TV money that keeps Boston & New York big, not necessarily the turnstiles. On the other hand, the Pirates don't get the big money from television and the only way the turnstiles move is promotion nights. Fireworks is always big in Pittsburgh, free T shirts pack 'em in too.

Don't forget about WINNING GAMES.
That's the point. Twenty straight losing seasons and the Pirates still put enough butts in the seats to turn a profit. People didn't go to the ball game to cheer on the Bucs. They went for the food, the ball park itself (the prettiest park in the majors), the promotions and the fireworks. PNC Park was the best major league ball park a minor league team could call home.

You're making my point for me about the Clippers. They consistently suck but still fill enough seats to make a good profit.

So imagine how much more money they could make if they were to build the roster, win consistently, and sell out every night. Same with your Pirates.

Take it from a Phillies fan who watched for most of his life while his team spent NADA and set the record for franchise losses, and then started to spend money and win games and the cash just poured in and the roster got better and better until we were selling out each night and not even thinking twice about dropping 200 mil on a big name.

Don't forget about WINNING GAMES.
That's the point. Twenty straight losing seasons and the Pirates still put enough butts in the seats to turn a profit. People didn't go to the ball game to cheer on the Bucs. They went for the food, the ball park itself (the prettiest park in the majors), the promotions and the fireworks. PNC Park was the best major league ball park a minor league team could call home.

You're making my point for me about the Clippers. They consistently suck but still fill enough seats to make a good profit.

So imagine how much more money they could make if they were to build the roster, win consistently, and sell out every night. Same with your Pirates.

Take it from a Phillies fan who watched for most of his life while his team spent NADA and set the record for franchise losses, and then started to spend money and win games and the cash just poured in and the roster got better and better until we were selling out each night and not even thinking twice about dropping 200 mil on a big name.

Good call. Although Philly is a bigger market than Pittsburgh. But Pitt should be constantly looking for values instead of always slashing and burning.

Good call. Although Philly is a bigger market than Pittsburgh. But Pitt should be constantly looking for values instead of always slashing and burning.

You also gotta figure in merchandise sales too. You aren't going to sell much merch if you not only lose all the time but also have no big names to sell.

Obviously the bigger markets sell merch based on the city and not exclusively just a player, like NY and LA, but its still a revenue stream that shouldn't be ignored.

There's talk about Mike Trout winning Rookie Of The Year and MVP. It made me wonder what players have done that before.

Here's the answer: Major League Baseball Most Valuable Player Award - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note: It's the 1975 and 2001 AL ROY's. I couldn't quickly find a link that clearly stated it; but feel free to cross reference it here: Major League Baseball Rookie of the Year Award - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What NBA player(s) has won both Rookie of the Year and MVP in the same season?

Answer: What NBA player has won both Rookie of the Year and MVP in the same season

What NFL player(s) had won the MVP as a Rookie?

Answer: Has any nfl rookie ever won MVP? - Yahoo! Answers

What NHL player has won the MVP and Rookie Of The Year?

I don't know. I couldn't find a quick answer. But if anyone wants to cross check the MVP list: Hart Memorial Trophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and the the ROY list: Calder Memorial Trophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia then go ahead and tell me :D

Awesome rookie of the years like Mario Lemieux, Alexander Ovechkin, Martin Brodeur, Ed Belflour, Luc Robitaille and Bobby Orr did not do it.

Lemieux won the MVP in this 4th year, breaking Wayne Gretzky's amazing run of 9 MVPs in a row! The Great One won his 10th and final MVP the very next season. His bud, Mark Messier who played in his shadow in Edmonton, won two of the next three after that. He was basically the Scottie Pippen of hockey.

Interestingly, Gretzky did not win the Rookie of the year in 78-79 despite having 43 goals and 61 assists for a total of 104 points. Shamefully, he lost to Bobby Smith, who had 30 goals and 44 for assists for 74 points. So he basically was somehow robbed of the ROY!

Gretzky did win the Lou Kaplan ROY Trophy which was given from 73-79 though. But it is not the more recognized Calder Memorial Trophy which has been in existence since 1923 and is still in use today.

Gretzky finished his rookie year third in points and did not win the MVP. He did win the MVP his second season, which was the first of the aforementioned 9 MVPs in a row.

During the 2005-2006 season, Ovechkin beat out Sidney Crosby for the Rookie Of The Year Honors. Ovechkin scored 106 points to Crosby's 102 (including outscoring him in goals 52-39). Joe Thornton was the MVP that year with only 92 points (and only 20 goals). The consensus reason was that Thornton's Sharks made the 5 seed while Crosby's Penguins and Ovechkin's Capitals were the two worst teams in their conference. And Crosby's Penguins were only a point better than the worst team in the league, the Blues. Ovechkin's team finished 22 points out of the playoffs as well.

Crosby would go on to win the MVP his next season in his second year. Ovechkin would win the MVP the year after that in his third year.

Still it seems that Gretzky and Ovechkin were worthy of being ROY and MVP but did not earn both distinctions due to oversights of the voters.

Trout grew up like 25 minutes from me. He played against my high school. The buzz is pretty big around here for the guy, it's cool to see a local kid doing this well...normally no one around here amounts to much at the pro level.

Seems there's a flap about China making the US Olympic team uniforms because Obama's supporter outsourced the job away from Americans.

Putting plastic thread that turns into wire after a couple of washings should fix our athletes just right.

Idiots.

That's just how it goes--our American workers don't get the pride of doing good work for America's athletes.

Somebody needs to bring the jobs back home! I remember working in a sewing factory that made the Miss America swimsuits that year. The gals on the line were so revved about doing something for America. Of course, that was back in the days when swimwear had enough fabric in them they had to have zippers inserted in each suit. :D

Last edited:
Seems there's a flap about China making the US Olympic team uniforms because Obama's supporter outsourced the job away from Americans.

Putting plastic thread that turns into wire after a couple of washings should fix our athletes just right.

Idiots.

That's just how it goes--our American workers don't get the pride of doing good work for America's athletes.

Somebody needs to bring the jobs back home! I remember working in a sewing factory that made the Miss America swimsuits that year. The gals on the line were so revved about doing something for America. Of course, that was back in the days when swimwear had enough fabric in them they had to have zippers inserted in each suit. :D

There's no excuse for the jersey to not be American made. Shame on USA Basketball. The NFL gets it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhtSm_8Jc6U]Super Bowl footballs made in Ada, Ohio - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back