USMB Sports Bar

I think you guys had an owner that was more interested in turning a profit than competing. Any time you got someone good, you effectively sold him. I've been through the same crap in the Clippers market.

He benefited off the revenue sharing and then pocketed profits instead of reinvesting into the team.

It's a stupid way to profit if you ask me, because many teams have proven that reinvestment to build a winner will fill seats and bring in MUCH higher profits.

The Clippers have consistently been top 5 in profits by screwing their fans over. Pitt isn't in a big market where filling seats counts like in NY and Boston.

The Clippers consistently fill seats, they average over 16k fans a night, and don't pay much rent because of the shared deal with the Lakers at Staples Center. So they're not exactly a great example here, their fans show up DESPITE the lack of roster investment.

But any city will show up and fill seats if their team is winning. Even Marlins fans show up when they're actually winning, otherwise it's a sea of empty seats out there.

Special Section - London 2012 Olympics

1. Blake Griffin, Andre Iguodala and James Harden were chosen Saturday to complete the roster for the U.S. Olympic basketball team (link to story)
  2. Saudi Arabia may bow to pressure and send female athletes to the Summer Games
  3. There won't be a Beijing repeat in London. Michael Phelps has dropped one of his eight Olympic races.
  4. Danell Leyva has gone from Cuban refugee to Olympian gymnast.
  5. Paul McCartney has confirmed an Olympic-sized rumor, saying he'll be the closing act at the London 2012 Olympics' opening ceremony.
I think the world is going to be in for some great sports in the London 2012 Summer Olympics. :)

He benefited off the revenue sharing and then pocketed profits instead of reinvesting into the team.

It's a stupid way to profit if you ask me, because many teams have proven that reinvestment to build a winner will fill seats and bring in MUCH higher profits.

The Clippers have consistently been top 5 in profits by screwing their fans over. Pitt isn't in a big market where filling seats counts like in NY and Boston.

The Clippers consistently fill seats, they average over 16k fans a night, and don't pay much rent because of the shared deal with the Lakers at Staples Center. So they're not exactly a great example here, their fans show up DESPITE the lack of roster investment.

But any city will show up and fill seats if their team is winning. Even Marlins fans show up when they're actually winning, otherwise it's a sea of empty seats out there.

The Clippers of last year vs. their previous 25 years are two different things. They happened to win the Blake Griffin sweepstakes and then they got lucky on the timing with Chris Paul. Otherwise their model was very much to draft players (usually make bad picks; they just couldn't screw up the #1 with BG) and then not resign them when they cost a lot. And redo it all over, rarely going over 30 wins.

There is some evidence that they've changed their philosophy. They signed Baron Davis to a big contract and in the hopes of resigning Brand. Brand didn't resign to the big contract they offered (thankfully for them). But just look at where those 2 players are now. That's just how bad they are at personnel mgmt.

Special Section - London 2012 Olympics

1. Blake Griffin, Andre Iguodala and James Harden were chosen Saturday to complete the roster for the U.S. Olympic basketball team (link to story)
  2. Saudi Arabia may bow to pressure and send female athletes to the Summer Games
  3. There won't be a Beijing repeat in London. Michael Phelps has dropped one of his eight Olympic races.
  4. Danell Leyva has gone from Cuban refugee to Olympian gymnast.
  5. Paul McCartney has confirmed an Olympic-sized rumor, saying he'll be the closing act at the London 2012 Olympics' opening ceremony.
I think the world is going to be in for some great sports in the London 2012 Summer Olympics. :)

Yea, I think Phelps realized that he had to conserve some energy if he was going to fully compete with Ryan Lochte.

I just saw that Andre Iguodala and James Harden were on the Olympic team. This is why we stopped calling them Dream Teams.

And apparently Odom, (Rookie) Anthony Davis, and Eric Gordon were among the final 18 players. Freaking Odom? Are you kidding me? He apparently dropped himself out of the running.

Dwight Howard, Derrick Rose, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh are all injured, so this is what we are left with. Andrew Bynum refused to show up, so Tyson Chandler will be our starting center. If Kobe and Lebron stayed home we'd be even worse off, we would end up with Andre Miller, Spencer Hawes, Lou Williams and Shane Battier.

I am very disapointed that Ray Allen is going to Miami, at this point all I can do is thank him for his years of service and move on, wow Miami is totally stacked, with Ray Allen out there they will win the championship next year for sure thats too much firepower.

I just saw that Andre Iguodala and James Harden were on the Olympic team. This is why we stopped calling them Dream Teams.

And apparently Odom, (Rookie) Anthony Davis, and Eric Gordon were among the final 18 players. Freaking Odom? Are you kidding me? He apparently dropped himself out of the running.

Dwight Howard, Derrick Rose, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh are all injured, so this is what we are left with. Andrew Bynum refused to show up, so Tyson Chandler will be our starting center. If Kobe and Lebron stayed home we'd be even worse off, we would end up with Andre Miller, Spencer Hawes, Lou Williams and Shane Battier.

D-Lame is not injured. Bosh could play if he really wanted but I don't think he's a big loss. Bynum is a bum and Chandler is better. Kobe is no longer that good. LBJ would definitely be a loss. He's a team player with skills.

The best USA line-up would be:

PG - Westbrook
SG - Harden
SF - James
PF - Love
C - Chandler

I think there's a clear lack of shooting on that team. If they don't play great defense then they could be in trouble against the better teams.

D-Lame is not injured. Bosh could play if he really wanted but I don't think he's a big loss. Bynum is a bum and Chandler is better. Kobe is no longer that good. LBJ would definitely be a loss. He's a team player with skills.

PG - Westbrook
SG - Harden
SF - James
PF - Love
C - Chandler

I think there's a clear lack of shooting on that team. If they don't play great defense then they could be in trouble against the better teams.

We have Durant he could start, I do think this team is vulnerable though. They are not as good as the 2008 team, they need to come out firing away at these teams every game and not get into close games or we could lose. Durant saved us a few times in the 2010 Word championships when Lamar Odom, Chauncey Billups and Andre Iguodala were shooting up bricks and air balls.

PG - Westbrook
SG - Harden
SF - James
PF - Love
C - Chandler

We have Durant he could start, I do think this team is vulnerable though. They are not as good as the 2008 team, they need to come out firing away at these teams every game and not get into close games or we could lose. Durant saved us a few times in the 2010 Word championships when Lamar Odom, Chauncey Billups and Andre Iguodala were shooting up bricks and air balls.

I wouldn't have Durant instead of Love who can shoot and rebound. And I wouldn't replace him with James, who is a much better defender and all around player. I'd consider at times moving Love to the 5 and putting Durant 4 but then you'd be taking away your best interior defender Chandler, who also moves well on the pick and rolls on the perimeter.

Iguodala has no business being on this team. I also don't understand how they can have 3 PGs - Paul, Williams and Westbrook but a lack of SGs. Kobe and Harden? Really? That's their two best shooters? Kobe is not a great shooter and Harden is more of a slasher. If they got down, they would have to rely on the shooting of a Durant, a guy who doesn't always want the ball.

PG - Westbrook
SG - Harden
SF - James
PF - Love
C - Chandler

I wouldn't have Durant instead of Love who can shoot and rebound. And I wouldn't replace him with James, who is a much better defender and all around player. I'd consider at times moving Love to the 5 and putting Durant 4 but then you'd be taking away your best interior defender Chandler, who also moves well on the pick and rolls on the perimeter.

Iguodala has no business being on this team. I also don't understand how they can have 3 PGs - Paul, Williams and Westbrook but a lack of SGs. Kobe and Harden? Really? That's their two best shooters? Kobe is not a great shooter and Harden is more of a slasher. If they got down, they would have to rely on the shooting of a Durant, a guy who doesn't always want the ball.

You do make a good point though, we do have a lack of SG's, and centers. Tyson Chandler is our only real center, and outside of Kobe and Harden what other SG should we have on this team? Wades not showing up, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. I really think we should have got Kendrick Perkins on this team as a back up center, and what about Roy Hibbert? we need size badly, and shooters.

Anyone interested in 2 tix to tonights homerun Derby? I had a client offer me a pair but I gotta estimate tonight at 6! Damn the luck. The temperature finally dropped below 900 for a sporting event and I can't freakin go.

I think you guys had an owner that was more interested in turning a profit than competing. Any time you got someone good, you effectively sold him. I've been through the same crap in the Clippers market.

It's the TV money that keeps Boston & New York big, not necessarily the turnstiles. On the other hand, the Pirates don't get the big money from television and the only way the turnstiles move is promotion nights. Fireworks is always big in Pittsburgh, free T shirts pack 'em in too.

6335096_original.jpeg

Just to fill you in on the Pirates buzz, what All Star outfielder Andrew McCutcheon is doing is 'summoning Zoltan'. I haven't seen it, but in the movie Dude, Where's my Car? there is a scene where geeks dressed in bubble wrap summon Zoltan (an alien) with this hand gesture. Expect to see more Zoltan as the season wears on and the Pirates enter the thick of the pennant chase.

It's the TV money that keeps Boston & New York big, not necessarily the turnstiles. On the other hand, the Pirates don't get the big money from television and the only way the turnstiles move is promotion nights. Fireworks is always big in Pittsburgh, free T shirts pack 'em in too.

Don't forget about WINNING GAMES.

Anyone interested in 2 tix to tonights homerun Derby? I had a client offer me a pair but I gotta estimate tonight at 6! Damn the luck. The temperature finally dropped below 900 for a sporting event and I can't freakin go.

You can't move the estimate back?

You can't move the estimate back?

They waited 2 weeks. Not gonna chance it. One bad report on angies list and I drop on the list. Not worth it.

Yes, but sold out games generate the excitement. Ratings would be way down if the Sox or Yankees weren't a hot ticket.

You do make a good point though, we do have a lack of SG's, and centers. Tyson Chandler is our only real center, and outside of Kobe and Harden what other SG should we have on this team? Wades not showing up, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. I really think we should have got Kendrick Perkins on this team as a back up center, and what about Roy Hibbert? we need size badly, and shooters.

It'll be interesting to see if Coach K thinks he has to pander to Kobe. If he gets big minutes and jacks up bricks then that'd be trouble for the US. I think he'd be better off going with Westbrook and D-Will at times along with Lebron. Put those 3 with Griffin and Chandler and you'd get some ball movement and some easy dunks. But you still have the problem of who the hell is going to make outside shots? It's a glaring weakness.

That's the point. Twenty straight losing seasons and the Pirates still put enough butts in the seats to turn a profit. People didn't go to the ball game to cheer on the Bucs. They went for the food, the ball park itself (the prettiest park in the majors), the promotions and the fireworks. PNC Park was the best major league ball park a minor league team could call home.

That's the point. Twenty straight losing seasons and the Pirates still put enough butts in the seats to turn a profit. People didn't go to the ball game to cheer on the Bucs. They went for the food, the ball park itself (the prettiest park in the majors), the promotions and the fireworks. PNC Park was the best major league ball park a minor league team could call home.

Well you still get to see the other teams stars and hang out. Hell I've been to Angels games and never really paid attention to a pitch LMAO. I usually don't that much until the playoff chase or the playoffs. I watch games much closer when they're on television most of the time.

Forum List

Back