USMB Sports Bar

I don't care if you take my word for it. Up until my car radio was stolen recently I listened to sports radio all of the time. Not much time was ever spent on discussing bringing a team to LA. We have plenty. We have the Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, Kings, Ducks, Chargers (down the 5) Galaxy, all types of beach sports and even all types of minor league sports and great night life. It's not like a dreary Midwest town like Green Bay or Pittsburgh where the football team is a strong part of the city's identity.

It's not that we're anti-football. We're not. We're just apathetic. That's why Laker fans show up to games half way through the second quarter. That's why an Angels game is not like going to a game at Fenway or Wrigley. We're laid back about it though.

Go online to an LA sports talk station and notice how much less football talk there is. And you'd be hard pressed to find anything about finding a segment of bringing a team to LA. Contrast that to when I lived in Minneapolis and I could go to KFan and probably about 70 percent of the coverage would be Vikings.

But it's also like I said, when we do ever get a football team (in a new stadium) then at least half the stadium will be sold out in advance of the stadium. It's the NFL's fault for not capitalizing. They miscalculated that they could hold no team over our head like they do with other cities. They also probably miscalculated that the politicians run on bribes or legal "donations."

You are fairweather front-runners "fans" in every sport. Fashionably showing up late . (cool)

But notice when USC is good they fill up the Colisuem to capacity.

(surpriseing good with the sanctions)

As for UCLA - less said the better.

Even USC wasn't selling out until they were the cream of the crop. I haven't checked, but I imagine they're back to having 30,000 empty seats in that huge 110,000 Collosseum. I used to go to a lot of those games with my friend b/c he had season seats. They were fun. And I went to a USC vs. UCLA game at the Rose Bowl. It went 4 OTs and it was a classic. USC itself is a pretty cool campus too.

NDs last non sellout was in 1971 against Air Force.

And that was on Thanksgiving Holiday week when lots of students when home for the weekend.

Although, I guess you could say that Aminishiki is the man of the moment, having upset the Yokozuna on day 1 of the tournament.

I don't care if you take my word for it. Up until my car radio was stolen recently I listened to sports radio all of the time. Not much time was ever spent on discussing bringing a team to LA. We have plenty. We have the Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, Kings, Ducks, Chargers (down the 5) Galaxy, all types of beach sports and even all types of minor league sports and great night life. It's not like a dreary Midwest town like Green Bay or Pittsburgh where the football team is a strong part of the city's identity.

It's not that we're anti-football. We're not. We're just apathetic. That's why Laker fans show up to games half way through the second quarter. That's why an Angels game is not like going to a game at Fenway or Wrigley. We're laid back about it though.

Go online to an LA sports talk station and notice how much less football talk there is. And you'd be hard pressed to find anything about finding a segment of bringing a team to LA. Contrast that to when I lived in Minneapolis and I could go to KFan and probably about 70 percent of the coverage would be Vikings.

But it's also like I said, when we do ever get a football team (in a new stadium) then at least half the stadium will be sold out in advance of the stadium. It's the NFL's fault for not capitalizing. They miscalculated that they could hold no team over our head like they do with other cities. They also probably miscalculated that the politicians run on bribes or legal "donations."

You are fairweather front-runners "fans" in every sport. Fashionably showing up late . (cool)

Even USC wasn't selling out until they were the cream of the crop. I haven't checked, but I imagine they're back to having 30,000 empty seats in that huge 110,000 Collosseum. I used to go to a lot of those games with my friend b/c he had season seats. They were fun. And I went to a USC vs. UCLA game at the Rose Bowl. It went 4 OTs and it was a classic. USC itself is a pretty cool campus too.

If LA is so apathetic about the NFL - then why did they steal the Raiders from Oakland when they already had the Rams????????????????

If LA is so apathetic about the NFL - then why did they steal the Raiders from Oakland when they already had the Rams????????????????

That was AL Davis's decision and I told you that it's a great market when there is a team here. I also told you that we're not freaking out about not having a team. I don't know why that's so hard for you to get.

That was AL Davis's decision and I told you that it's a great market when there is a team here. I also told you that we're not freaking out about not having a team. I don't know why that's so hard for you to get.

Ok - so lets try a little reverse scenerio -for the sake of argument.

Would LA be clammoring for an NBA team if they didnt have any?

No great hue and outcry in Seattle after we lost the Sonics.

Ok - so lets try a little reverse scenerio -for the sake of argument.

Would LA be clammoring for an NBA team if they didnt have any?

No great hue and outcry in Seattle after we lost the Sonics.

There'd be some crying for about 3 to 5 years (like there was with football) and then most the people would be over it. There'd be a little more lingering effect b/c the Lakers made a deeper imprint than the Rams or Raiders.

If there was a significant outcry for an NFL team, we would have had one within 5 years.

You don't get the mentality of Southern Californians. They have tons of entertainment options so we don't feel the loss like other cities. And b/c there is such a critical mass, there's a ton of money on the table if we ever do get a team again.

But the problem is the NFL is dense like you and they don't understand that their demand strategy will not work like it does in other markets. They have to make concessions and they have not been willing to do so.

In other markets, the NFL is willing to wait and play cities off of each other. That's not going to work in LA. They have to be a mutual partner w/o the guile. Their hard ball tactics have failed and it'll continue to fail and that's a shame for them b/c we're the second biggest market.

They have to realize too; that Angelinos don't hold their politicians accountable. Nobody's head is on a stick for us not having a team; not even close. In Minnesota, politicians heads were rolling as the stadium issue dragged on. That's a huge difference.

If anything, politicians run interference. We've had stadium sites turned down based on the lamest reason imaginable; phony bologna environmental concerns, traffic concerns (in the middle of nowhere), etc. My guess is that they tried to extort money and the private partners did not budge.

Yes, we'll be excited when we get a team. No, we are not begging for one. As far we're concerned we're more than happy to give the NFL the finger for not getting it done b/c they're the ones losing the money while we have our other options and adopted teams. That's right; most people in LA are transplants and have their original teams anyhow.

John Travolta is always welcome here

[youtube]SkYNYxRHs_8[/youtube]

[youtube]xAfKGcqhPRM[/youtube]

[youtube]WvOWox2o5cU[/youtube]

LA Clippers or Memphis Grizzlies tonight?

LOS ANGELES (AP)

The stubborn Memphis Grizzlies aren't the only obstacles in the Los Angeles Clippers' path to closing out a rare playoff series victory. Blake Griffin and Chris Paul are banged-up heading into Game 6, and Caron Butler continues to play with a broken left hand.
The Clippers said Thursday that Griffin and Paul would be game-time decisions on Friday night, although the All-Star duo figures to play with so much on the line.
Preview link

Stats of earlier playoffs this week

LA Clippers or Memphis Grizzlies tonight?

LOS ANGELES (AP)

The stubborn Memphis Grizzlies aren't the only obstacles in the Los Angeles Clippers' path to closing out a rare playoff series victory. Blake Griffin and Chris Paul are banged-up heading into Game 6, and Caron Butler continues to play with a broken left hand.
The Clippers said Thursday that Griffin and Paul would be game-time decisions on Friday night, although the All-Star duo figures to play with so much on the line.
Preview link

Stats of earlier playoffs this week

They have to win it. They won't win Game 7 in Memphis.

Personally, I hope the Clippers lose. I can't stand Chris Paul and Blake Griffin. I think they were both cool when they came into the league. But now their egos are off the chart and they haven't even done anything. I like Memphis's team chemistry better.

I guess as a Spurs fan, I could live with the Clippers winning though. They'd be a much easier target. I could see the Spurs beating them in 4 or 5 easy.

Forum List

Back