USMB Late Night Bar & Grill

Abbey Normal said:
Well, I'm off to go read a bit and then drift off to sleep.

Thanks for the Gin & Tonic, and conversation. :D

Feel free to drop by any night of the week. We have half price screw drivers on Thursday nights...:mm:

Mr.Conley said:
I'm dual concentrating (my college's fancy word for a major) in economics and Chinese Civilization

How about yourself?

I am still walking around with my "Rutgers Undecided" T-shirt.

I have leaned in many directions. History, english, psych, education, journalism, statistics, business...you name it, I have probably considered it.

Sometime during the next two semesters I will declare. The safe bet is education, the sexy pick is psych.

1549 said:
Sometime during the next two semesters I will declare. The safe bet is education, the sexy pick is psych.
Don't do psych. Do you really want to make a living- however good- listening to rich people talk about their problems?

I'd suggest journalism though. Find out what all the bastards in Washington are up to.

Don't do psych. Do you really want to make a living- however good- listening to rich people talk about their problems?

I'd suggest journalism though. Find out what all the bastards in Washington are up to.

I would actually love to be a detective. I watch Law & Order and I say, "damn these detectives have sweet ass jobs". I would love to just go around knocking down doors, being a hard ass, and investigating crimes. Not too mention that I love coffee from dunkin' donuts. Unfortunately the show glamorizes the job. Also my skinny 5'10 140 pound frame would not do much good against a hardened criminal.

Mr.Conley said:
When do you have to declare?

By the end of sophomore year.

I think I am going to call it a night Mr. C...good luck with the sleep cycle.

I'm up, pushing 2am, because I just came back from the last Hail and Farewell I will attend as a military dependent. A lot of emotions running through tonight, a lot of truly awesome people I wont see again. :(

Well here I am early in the a.m. I'm all screwed around. I usually hit the bed about 4-5am but I've been known to see it day dawn. I had a weekend with very little sleep so I made up for it Sunday evening, which has thrown everything off. I will try to shut my eyes for a couple of minutes before the gig tonight. We play til 2.
I'm sorry I missed you at the guys at the grille

Joz said:
Well here I am early in the a.m. I'm all screwed around. I usually hit the bed about 4-5am but I've been known to see it day dawn. I had a weekend with very little sleep so I made up for it Sunday evening, which has thrown everything off. I will try to shut my eyes for a couple of minutes before the gig tonight. We play til 2.
I'm sorry I missed you at the guys at the grille

No problem--everything got put on your tab! Thanks !:cof:

1549 said:
The lake is nice in the summer. People think of Chicago as a cold city, but the summers can be brutally hot and humid. I remember one summer as a kid ('94 or '95) when quite a few people died. So when the wind blows in off the lake during the summer it is refreshing.

Chicago is a nice city. An NYC resident once described Chicago to me like this, "If you turned New York upside down, shook out all the garbage, and turned it back over, you would have Chicago". I would agree that Chicago is cleaner. It also has better food. I really do like New York though, and I make sure to enjoy every trip across the Hudson.

I think the summer where people died, mostly elderly was 2001, (a very bad year). The reason I remember it was I was attending A Constitution grad. program out in LA. There was zero news, with the exceptions of Chicago weather, Iranian students protesting the regime, Monica designing purses, and Chandra/Gary. I was going nuts!

Kathianne said:
I think the summer where people died, mostly elderly was 2001, (a very bad year). The reason I remember it was I was attending A Constitution grad. program out in LA. There was zero news, with the exceptions of Chicago weather, Iranian students protesting the regime, Monica designing purses, and Chandra/Gary. I was going nuts!

That was a bad one too, that was my last summer in Chicago before moving to Jersey.

Ok, I just brought the issue to Google. There was a heat wave in 1995 and it killed 525-780 people (I don't remember the total being that high, but all of the sources I found put it in that range--like you said, mostly elderly).

I found an article on the 2001 heat wave, it was written during the midst of it, and just said that temperatures were matching the 1995 heat wave, and that Chicago was doing its best to prevent another tragedy.

1549 said:
That was a bad one too, that was my last summer in Chicago before moving to Jersey.

Ok, I just brought the issue to Google. There was a heat wave in 1995 and it killed 525-780 people (I don't remember the total being that high).

I found an article on the 2001 heat wave, it was written during the midst of it, and just said that temperatures were matching the 1995 heat wave, and that Chicago was doing its best to prevent another tragedy.
Wow! I don't remember that many people dying of heat in Chicago, ever. That sounds more like the numbers from France a few years back and that is NOT meant as a slap at France.

Kathianne said:
Wow! I don't remember that many people dying of heat in Chicago, ever. That sounds more like the numbers from France a few years back and that is NOT meant as a slap at France.

I was shocked when I read it too. I guess it was a bad time to be elderly.

There was an article in "The Onion" a few years back that said, "Chicago hit with meat-wave"...there was a picture of giant sausages in the street. I got a kick out of that.

1549 said:
Be sure to have some Italian Beef for me...I miss that stuff so much.

Yuuuummmmm and fun!:

http://chicagofests.com/taste_of_chicago/taste_of_chicago_2006_pro.php
Taste of Chicago 2006 promises more than just food
Posted May 30, 2006

We know, you go to the Taste of Chicago for the chance to sample food from some of the city's most lip-smacking restaurants (and there will be over 300 menu items this year).

But did you realize that there's a whole lot else to love about the Taste? With all the varied activities going on in Grant Park this year, in fact, "Taste" might be a little limiting. Guess "The Five Senses of Chicago" doesn't quite roll off the tongue. But there will be plenty to see, hear, smell, touch and, of course, taste throughout the course of the week-and-a-half long extravaganza.

Here's a rundown of what to expect:

Hear:

Free concerts are nothing new at the Taste, and this year's lineup certainly won't disappoint. The young and old are both on display at the Petrillo Music Shell, and lovers of every genre should be sated.

Friday, June 30, 5:30 p.m.
Funk/R&B legends The O' Jays kick things off on Friday. They will perform classic hits like "Back Stabbers" and "Love Train", drawing from their 40+ years of experience in the music industry. 3 PC and Risque open.

Saturday, July 1, 3 p.m.
The 16th annual Chicago Country Music Festival comes to the shell for another year. The "Rhinestone Cowboy", Glen Campbell, will perform, presumably showcasing the talents that spurred his work with Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, the Beach Boys and Dean Martin. Younger fans may be more inclined to check out the Yonder Mountain String Band, a bluegrass-centered jam band with a strong following throughout the country.

Sunday, July 2, 2 p.m.
Don't put the cowboy hats away just yet...Sunday will include Jo Dee Messina, an artist who probably needs no introduction...but we'll give one anyway. A New England native, Messina has lived in Nashville since the age of 19, and has soaked up enough of that city's music scene to put together eight #1 singles (including "Bye Bye" and "I'm Alright") and garner a bunch of awards, including a Grammy for Best Female Vocal Performance in 2000. She's supported by SheDAISY and Phil Vassar.

Monday, July 3, 7:30 p.m.
The Macy's Independence Eve Fireworks Spectacular (with the Grant Park Orchestra).

Tuesday, July 4, 3 p.m.
The Taste really starts to rock on Tuesday. Former Kinks frontman Ray Davies headlines the 4th of July show, and word is his new album rivals any of his past work (which, if you're unfamiliar, began 43 years ago in England). Openers include Mike Doughty (of alternative pioneers Soul Coughing) and My Morning Jacket, whose critically-acclaimed, country-infused album Z was released last year.

Wednesday, July 5, 5:30 p.m.
India.Arie, she of the two Grammy awards and general neo-soul street cred, makes a return to the Taste following her performance in 2003. Crooner Anthony Hamilton opens.

Thursday, July 6, 5:30 p.m.
If you've found yourself thinking to this point that there just aren't enough Grammy-award winners...well, here's another. Train, the San Francisco band behind such radio hits as "Drops of Jupiter" and "Meet Virginia" will be on hand Thursday to dole out a dose a pop. If you like your music a little more muddled, check out Mat Kearney. His blend of hip-hop and folk is sure to get you thinking, if not dancing.

Friday, July 7, 5:30 p.m.
The Taste of Chicago tried to walk away from Macy Gray, but they stumbled. The R&B singer, known for her 1999 hit "I Try", headlines Friday's shows. She's preceded by Chicago's own jazz and urban dance band, Liquid Soul at 5:30 p.m.

Saturday, July 8, 5 p.m.
It can't be put much better than the Taste's press release: on this day, " the festival becomes a Phair". That's right, Liz Phair makes an appearance, following her successful reinvention over the past few years into a pop star. She's supported by Fountains of Wayne ("Stacy's Mom) and World Party.

Sunday, July 9, 3 p.m.
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto. Dennis DeYoung, a founding member of '70s giant Styx (and the writer behind such classics as "Come Sail Away" and "Lady") will headline the final performance of this year's festival. His special guest is none other than Kenny Wayne Shepherd, the guitar virtuoso now back from an extended hiatus.

See:
There's plenty to see at the Taste of Chicago. From cooking and bartending demonstrations to the spectacle that is hundreds of thousands of people all attempting to elbow their way in line for ribs, the festival will no doubt be a sight to remember. Some highlights:

Friday, June 30- Sunday, July 2
The famous Budweiser Clydesdale eight-horse team will be on full display at Buckingham Fountain throughout the first weekend. These beautiful creatures are sure to delight the crowds...just be sure to hide any Miller products.

Saturday, July 1-Sunday, July 2
The Food Network hosts the aptly named Food Network Challenge on Saturday and Sunday, in which top local pastry chefs compete in a live demonstration for the chance to star in an upcoming episode of Food Network Challenge. You’ll also see the nimble hands of the country's best bartenders showcasing their flair and teaching their tricks of the trade.

Thursday, July 6
World Champions in the house! White Sox players, coaches, alumni and mascots will make an appearance at the Family Village and Fun Time Stage. Even if your kids like the Cubs, this is a chance to spend some time with major league ballplayers. Remember, a suspension for hitting A.J. Pierzynski will be ten games, or a very long timeout.

Thursday, July 6-Friday, July 7
Radio Disney Party Patrol will be out and about, so be ready to have some fun.

Friday, July 7
Not into food? How about musicals? "Broadway in Chicago" takes place every two hours from noon-6 p.m. and includes performers from Wicked and The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.

Saturday, July 8
Want to see how a chef prepares his magnificent recipes? The Dominick's Cooking Corner is filled with the secrets of great kitchens as chefs from Chicago area restaurants and from around the country and the world provide insight into creating their masterpieces. Guests include chefs from Ina's, Bistro 110, and Coco Pazzo.
On Saturday, CBS 2 restaurant critic Vince Gerasole demonstrates his cooking prowess followed by Alexa Ganakos, author of Greektown Chicago: Its History Its Recipes. Gerasole’s James Beard Foundation Award winning daughters Isabella and Olivia will also prepare a recipe as they do on their locally produced webcast.

Touch and Feel:
After eating all that the Taste has to offer, you're probably not going to feel that great. But hey, there are ways around that. The Living Pavilion hosts a daily Crunch and Lunch at noon where members of the Mayor's Fitness Council lead exercises, and there are other activities that'll help you feel great, and stay in touch with healthy food.

Sunday, July 2
Ready, set...eat! Ok, not yet. First, you've gotta compete in the Bally Total Fitness Race to Taste 5K Run/2 Mile Walk. For a $25 entry fee, participants receive a dri-release t-shirt and a coupon for a strip of food tickets.

Wednesday, July 5
Got a hankering to try some of recipes on your own? Head over to the Farmers Markets Day at the Taste Showcase Pavilion at Buckingham Fountain, and check out fresh fruits and vegetables from a variety of growers. Squeezing encouraged.

Smell and Taste:
With over 60 restaurants from Abbey Pub to Zephyr vying to serve you right, there will be no shortage of aromas and flavors to sample at the Taste of Chicago. Some of the scheduled events:

Saturday, July 1
Eli's Cheesecake continues a tasty tradition, celebrating the birthday of the Taste with the giant cake and slices for everyone.

For a full list of participating restaurants, visit the Taste of Chicago website.

Taste of Chicago opens each day at 11 a.m. and closes at 9 p.m. On July 3, Taste will remain open until the conclusion of the Independence Eve Fireworks, however vendors will cease selling when the first pyrotechnic is released. Taste of Chicago closes for the year on July 9 at 8 p.m.

Food and beverage tickets are sold in strips of 11 for $7 and may be purchased in advance at a discount with a Fresh Values card at participating Dominick's locations, June 22-29.

For more information on the Taste of Chicago, call the Mayor's Office of Special Events (312) 744-3315, TTY (312) 744-2964. For great hotel rates or to book your vacation to Chicago to enjoy Taste, call 1 877 CHICAGO.

The Mayor's Office of Special Events encourages taking public transportation to all lakefront festivals. Call (312) 836-7000/TTY (312) 836-4949 for information on RTA, CTA, PACE and Metra. Lakefront parking is available at the Millennium Park Garage, East Monroe, Grant Park North and Grant Park South garages. Free Bike Valet is located on the northwest corner of Lake Shore Drive and Monroe.

1549 said:
So what brings you guys to this place at 1:05 AM (EST)?

My deal is pretty simple...

I have been visiting my father in Michigan this summer. My girlfriend is back in Jersey. She is supposed to call me sometime soon. So I wait...and chat it up on the ol' message board.

I have never lived in Michigan, so I do not have much of a social life here. My life consists of golfing with my dad, eating, watching baseball, and spending time online. Not that I am complaining, I enjoy spending time with my dad. Next week I start work back in Jersey, and I will be living at a friends house.

So there is my story.

Who else wants to share a little slice of life at the USMB bar & grill.
What part of Michigan?

Forum List

Back