USMB Coffee Shop IV

Discussion in 'USMB Lounge' started by Foxfyre, May 15, 2014.

1. gallantwarrior

gallantwarrior Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,458
    That's pretty close to how they looked the other night, too. Not always that fantastic, surely. I think the best "light show" I can recall was the night my second granddaughter was born. I opted to babysit the first girl while everyone else went to the hospital. Well, it was a birthing center, actually. They had stadium seating in the birthing room and I really didn't want to be part of the on-site cheering section. I did hear that my SIL turned ghostly white and had to leave the room, though.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,092
    I just saw this and immediately thought of all the bikers in the Coffee Shop. (Sorry guys, no implications here other than I thought it was funny.)

[​IMG]

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,210
    If I live long enough I'll get a Hoveround and put Harley stickers all over it......

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  4. Lumpy 1

Lumpy 1 Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,232
    Well good.. :) .. and yup, she'll be fine, parents worry and life goes on.

Empty nest .. I'm willing, we just have some decisions and plans to work out, I'm blessed so it all looks promising.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Dajjal

Dajjal Quran buster

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,497
    I read in a motorcycle magazine that Harleys are expensive, over rated, and they ride like a slug. (slowly)
    The reason they are a success is extremely good advertising, and the style of their design.

I cannot say for myself because I never had enough money for one, but I swear by Honda's as I had several.
    They are fast and they start easily with the push of a button, and last for years and years. I had a CB 500 and after that a CB 650 and the 650 did 120 miles per hour.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Dajjal

Dajjal Quran buster

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,497
    Dm5r1OWXoAA4Tgh.jpg

• Winner Winner x 3
  7. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,535
    News from BBD... It won't be long and we will be picking corn and soybeans in my neck of the woods. Both the beans and corn are drying up very nicely. Our corn is looking really good and I expect a good harvest. The deer here (bucks) are still in full velvet on their antlers and my trail cams prove it. That too will change pretty soon now. My son, who is currently stationed at Fort Hood, TX will be transferred to Korea and he leaves on October 8th. He has been selected for SSGT so the next time I see him he will have another stripe. Had a routine cardio doctor apt. today. All is well. That's about it except I burned the popcorn and the house stinks. Mrs. BBD is not happy with me. More news as it comes along.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,092
    How exciting for your son. Korea is a great assignment. Fort Hood not so much. :)

But good to see that all is well with you and Mrs. BBD--she'll get over the burned popcorn. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,092
    Good night darlinks. No change in the vigil list.

10. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,546
    They tore down the Elite Diner. People from any other place than East Liverpool would have called it the Elite Diner. If you were born and raised here, you would have called it the E light. It was an old style trolley style diner with a long counter and booths along the windows.

On cold days the windows were covered with a sheen of fog. Otherwise, they were covered with a sheen of grease. The stools along the counter were upholstered with tangerine colored Naugahyde. The booths were lime green and the table tops were black with little silver boomerang shapes. The floor was 9x9 black and green vinyl tiles and the walls and ceiling were a shiny ivory color (probably antiseptic white originally but years of cigarette smoke mellowed the color to a warm ivory).

Two drink dispensers held orange and grape flavored drinks that constantly fountained under clear plastic domes. The cash register, no credit cards were every accepted at the Elite, had no electricity pulsing through it. Keys were punched, numbers appeared in a slim rectangular window and the highest denomination bill in the drawer was a twenty.

The Elite was a favorite for breakfasts. Regulars, old timers who met there each morning, held court in the end booth where they smoked Lucky Strikes and consumed gallons of strong black coffee while they discussed the prospects for the Potters football season, doings at City Hall and solved all the world's problems.

The other busy time for the staff at the Elite was Friday and Saturday nights after the bars closed. College age kids would stumble in from The Oasis up at the foot of St. Clair Avenue. More mature drinkers would filter in from the Corner Tavern at Sixth and Jackson. The juke box was controlled from the booths with a little flip chart listing the hits available. An eclectic mix of Buddy Holley and the Crickets, Loretta Lynn, Led Zepplin and Henry Mancini would ring through the diner while laughter, tears and raucous conversation bounced off the barrel shaped ceiling.

The food was edible, but not spectacular. I usually ordered scrambled eggs, sausage links, their fabulous hash browns and wheat toast. At the end of all that cholesterol Laden grub, you could raise the heavy locally made restaurant ware plate. The grease would flow downward and, like an etch-a-sketch, if you turned the plate 90 degrees, the streaks of grease would change direction.

If breakfast fare wasn't appropriate, a hot roast beef sandwich and fries was the best option. What I did not know until I was well into adulthood was hot roast beef means something different on the East Coast. Around here, a hot roast beef sandwich is slices of roast beef between two slices of white bread and a ladle full of beef gravy poured over the sandwich and the potatoes, be they fried or mashed. I ordered a hot roast beef at a diner in Brooklyn and they looked at me as if I asked for a lobster milkshake.

But they tore down the Elite Diner. Now only chain restaurants are here. America is getting more homogenized every time they take away local institutions like the Elite. Mores the pity.

• Winner Winner x 1