USMB Book Club

I vote for To Kill A Mockingbird to start it off. It's a good enough one as any.

I would also recommend some Vonnegut, like Slaughterhouse-Five or Cat's Cradle. Mother Night is also a good one.

Very nice, love Kurt Vonnegut. His childhood home is about 15 minutes from where I live. I got to see him speak at a lecture at Butler University a while back, entertaining and enthralling.

Oh, now I'm jealous. "Dandelion Wine" is one of the best things I have ever read.

I think "To Kill A Mockingbird" is good to begin with too. Chances are we have all read it, but so what? Wouldn't hurt to read it again.

I watched a documentary about Studs Terkel over the weekend, and now I want to read his stuff. "Working" sounded wonderful. Upton Sinclair, Sinclair Lewis -- is everything wonderful started in Chicago? LOL.

Studs-Terkel-s-Working-A-Graphic-Adaptation_large.gif

O, lookie here, a blog about what writers are reading. Yum.

http://whatarewritersreading.blogspot.com/2008_11_01_archive.html

Last edited:
Mini Echo read, "To Kill a Mockingbird" this year in 9th Grade. She wanted me to ask you all if she could join the book club too!

I vote for To Kill A Mockingbird to start it off. It's a good enough one as any.

I would also recommend some Vonnegut, like Slaughterhouse-Five or Cat's Cradle. Mother Night is also a good one.

Very nice, love Kurt Vonnegut. His childhood home is about 15 minutes from where I live. I got to see him speak at a lecture at Butler University a while back, entertaining and enthralling.

Oh, now I'm jealous. "Dandelion Wine" is one of the best things I have ever read.

I think "To Kill A Mockingbird" is good to begin with too. Chances are we have all read it, but so what? Wouldn't hurt to read it again.

I watched a documentary about Studs Terkel over the weekend, and now I want to read his stuff. "Working" sounded wonderful. Upton Sinclair, Sinclair Lewis -- is everything wonderful started in Chicago? LOL.

Studs-Terkel-s-Working-A-Graphic-Adaptation_large.gif

O, lookie here, a blog about what writers are reading. Yum.

Writers Read: November 2008

I love "Dandelion Wine" by Ray Bradbury. It reminds me of my Grandfather's childhood.:)

Echo Zulu, I'm rather surprised you'd allow the mini EZ near a bunch of hooligans, but yes, if it's okay with you I'd love for her to join the convo. And "To Kill A Mockingbird" is the perfect book for as multi-generational book club.

If anyone is interested in a real horror writer, anything by H.P. Lovecraft.

We saw some creepy movie based on one of his books on Sci Fi-they were half fish/half human in some weird European Town,,,,freaked us all out big time!

I memorized the last book I read. Here's a sample...

See Dick.
See Dick run.
Run Dick run.
Run Run Run.
See Spot.
See Spot run.
Run Spot run.
Run Run Run.
See Sally.
See Sally run.
Run Sally run.
Run Run Run.

It was one of those books on jogging that I read in the first grade.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I memorized the last book I read. Here's a sample...

See Dick.
See Dick run.
Run Dick run.
Run Run Run.
See Spot.
See Spot run.
Run Spot run.
Run Run Run.
See Sally.
See Sally run.
Run Sally run.
Run Run Run.

It was one of those books on jogging that I read in the first grade.

Sex ed.

If anyone is interested in a real horror writer, anything by H.P. Lovecraft.

We saw some creepy movie based on one of his books on Sci Fi-they were half fish/half human in some weird European Town,,,,freaked us all out big time!

Try reading the book. I remember the subject matter but it was so long ago I forgot which book it was. I stopped reading him because I would get nightmares. :eek:
Also he was the one Steven King got a lot of his material from though in my opinion King is tame by comparison.

I am reading "Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism" By Robert J Lifton

I've tried reading Lovecraft and Poe at least a dozen times, but I just cannot get into those books. The language is too flowery for me. But then, I cannot bear to read Shakespeare either -- I know they're great books and the failure to appreciate them is on me, not the authors.

I'm rather surprised we've gotten this far without the Archtypical Male Authors. No one reads Mailer or Hemingway anymore?

What a relief -- men who did used to act like asses for at least a few weeks afterwards. It works both ways; after reading Simone de Beauvoir's "The Second Sex" I wasn't fit for mixed company for months.

LOL.

I've tried reading Lovecraft and Poe at least a dozen times, but I just cannot get into those books. The language is too flowery for me. But then, I cannot bear to read Shakespeare either -- I know they're great books and the failure to appreciate them is on me, not the authors.

I'm rather surprised we've gotten this far without the Archtypical Male Authors. No one reads Mailer or Hemingway anymore?

What a relief -- men who did used to act like asses for at least a few weeks afterwards. It works both ways; after reading Simone de Beauvoir's "The Second Sex" I wasn't fit for mixed company for months.

LOL.

I didn't find Lovecraft to be flowery at all. Esoteric at times but not flowery. And to be honest I'm not a big Shakespeare fan either. He was extremely adept at taking old stories and giving them new life by setting them in a different locality, nationality and with character changes. Take Tristan and Isolde for example, essentially Romeo and Juliet is the same story only modernized and set in Italy instead of ancient England. Thats not to deride Shakespeare's genius, hell we do the same today generally not as well, look at the movie industry. Old films are constantly rewritten, sometimes radically, to fit a modern audience.
Steven King derived much of his"inspiration" from H.P. Lovecraft though Lovecraft is still much more talented and creative then King could ever hope be.

Forum List

Back