Using Profanity

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Didn't know quite where to put this one so 'mental issues' seemed the best choice.

In contemporary US society profanity has become so commonplace I question why people still use it. If the intent was orgininally to shock or emphasize statements, or inflict emotional distress, haven't those effects fallen away as such terms have become regular parts of speech? More you use a word, less people notice them. If people cuss regularly, how to they emphasize phrases and feelings now that they have no special words to add flavor?

Realizing this lack of flavoring words, I myself use more scientificly accurate terms as 'cuss words.' Instead of 'shit, fuck, ass,' etc. I use 'poop, excrement, or doodoo;' 'schtoop (Yiddish for push,) frack, or poke;' or 'bottom, tushy, hiney.'

Because the intent of profanity is attract the listener's attention, quaint or cute words like mine do achieve that result. Cuss words don't because they're overused.

For more than 25 years, I lived with someone who had a really filthy mouth. I learned a lot from that experience. Its a sign of that person not having anything worth listening to and immaturity to an astounding degree.

Its certainly tempting to use that same language in return but all that does is put you in the same gutter.

I've found I can just ignore the posters here to use excessive profanity and never miss anything of importance or intelligence.

I enjoy using very vulgar words ----privately---and also on the net----but only IN RESPONSE

delta4embassy said:
...I use 'poop, excrement, or doodoo;' 'schtoop (Yiddish for push,) frack, or poke;' or 'bottom, tushy, hiney.' ...

My grandpa (the one who demitted from Freemasonry after thirty-some years as a card-carrying lodge member) used to crack me up with phrases like "Jeezy Christmas" or "Jeebus Cripes"...instead of actually taking the Lord's name in vain, but I think the fake cussing can be taken too far. On a Christian apologetics board I used to frequent, there was a poster who tried to "clean up" various chat speak acronyms by omitting letters or sometimes substituting them for more appropriate ones. For instance, "roflmfao" became "roflmbo" (and the "b" was for buns, 'cuz I guess even butt was too edgy). :laugh: Sarah Palin has taken the practice to a laughable level, as well, with all the "gollies, goshes" and "gee wilikers" in her public speeches and interviews. So, while I can see where you're coming from, at some point the fake cussing exceeds the pointlessness of true vulgarity; and worse, it can have the effect of making the one doing it seem fake.

In the spirit of the season, though...

delta4embassy said:
...I use 'poop, excrement, or doodoo;' 'schtoop (Yiddish for push,) frack, or poke;' or 'bottom, tushy, hiney.' ...

My grandpa (the one who demitted from Freemasonry after thirty-some years as a card-carrying lodge member) used to crack me up with phrases like "Jeezy Christmas" or "Jeebus Cripes"...instead of actually taking the Lord's name in vain, but I think the fake cussing can be taken too far. On a Christian apologetics board I used to frequent, there was a poster who tried to "clean up" various chat speak acronyms by omitting letters or sometimes substituting them for more appropriate ones. For instance, "roflmfao" became "roflmbo" (and the "b" was for buns, 'cuz I guess even butt was too edgy). :laugh: Sarah Palin has taken the practice to a laughable level, as well, with all the "gollies, goshes" and "gee wilikers" in her public speeches and interviews. So, while I can see where you're coming from, at some point the fake cussing exceeds the pointlessness of true vulgarity; and worse, it can have the effect of making the one doing it seem fake.

I just said "gosh" instead of "God" in a thread :) I do it so as not to annoy people when doing so isn't my intent. When it is the intent I have much more effective words I use. :)

delta4embassy said:

I just said "gosh" instead of "God" in a thread :) I do it so as not to annoy people when doing so isn't my intent. When it is the intent I have much more effective words I use. :)

I have never said POOP in my life-----it is a baby word

delta4embassy said:

Precisely why it stands out in conversation and why I myself use it. :) It is a baby word, and coming from an adult it attracts the ear much more than "shit."

delta4embassy said:

Precisely why it stands out in conversation and why I myself use it. :) It is a baby word, and coming from an adult it attracts the ear much more than "shit."

Your sense of the ELOQUENT astounds me

delta4embassy said:

Reminds me of the Twain quote about how there are times when cussing is the only thing that works. I'm on hold on the phone so don't want to fool with looking up the exact quote. Sorry.

Funny thing about Palin is that she and her family are very foul mouthed in real life. A real eye opened is reading the kids' facebook pages. Man oh man, can those "children" cuss and they are very vicious about it. Good christians and all that ...

delta4embassy said:

Reminds me of the Twain quote about how there are times when cussing is the only thing that works. I'm on hold on the phone so don't want to fool with looking up the exact quote. Sorry.

Funny thing about Palin is that she and her family are very foul mouthed in real life. A real eye opened is reading the kids' facebook pages. Man oh man, can those "children" cuss and they are very vicious about it. Good christians and all that ...

Some stand up comic's routine included a bit about debate club in school where he exclaimed to his opponent, "F you!" and the kid fellsilent. "I thought I'd won." :)

delta4embassy said:

Ask him what else he's willing to do with his tongue.

(curves his tongue) :)

I do not broach such topics in mixed
company.......... or when engaging
in conversation with large numbers of
persons.

curve??? you can CURVE your tongue?------??? concave or convex? ----

I do not broach such topics in mixed
company.......... or when engaging
in conversation with large numbers of
persons.
That's good. He could make ya blush.

curve??? you can CURVE your tongue?------??? concave or convex? ----
DON'T go there!

Forum List

Back