Using Atomic Bomb in Japan saved 250,000

Maybe some of the civilians did support their government and military, and maybe others were too scared to speak up. However, blind patriotism doesn't warrant being vaporized.

Perhaps not, but being on the losing side unfortunately does.

I don't believe that at all. Those civilians didn't deserve to be killed.

War is the clash of societies, not armies.

If killing the enemy's civilians gives strategic or tactical advantage then nations set out to kill enemy civilians.

Trying to find a moral path through a war is rather like trying to map a route through the wilderness with an alarm clock.

If killing the enemy's civilians gives strategic or tactical advantage then nations set out to kill enemy civilians.

Trying to find a moral path through a war is rather like trying to map a route through the wilderness with an alarm clock.

:eusa_eh: I've done the latter, but have no intention of caring to do the former.

Technically not alarm clock though, it was a stop watch.

The military targets needed to be taken out. They supported Japan's warmaking capability.

It's not a matter of who you think deserved to be killed. It's a matter of winning a war, and lest you forget, Japan started it and I doubt anyone that died at Pearl Harbor deserved to die either.

There are consequences for actions. Military actions bring consequences against nations, not just that nation's military personnel. That "clinical" war is pipedreaming from the left, and it's why we don't win anymore. We're more concerned with being politically correct than winning.

The children didn't help Japan's war-making capability. Yes, Japan attacked us first, and certainly nobody deserved to die there. However, attacking the civilians for the crimes of the government is a crime unto itself.

Civilians weren't attacked. Both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were legitimate military targets. People die as a result of war. I don't see a 17 years old draftee being dropped on a beach saturated with enemy gunfire as any more nor less deserving than a noncombatant who dies as a result of collateral damage.

When you figure out how to end all wars, let me know. I want to be your business manager. Until then, war = death. That's how the game is played.

A lot of you remind me of a Star Trek episode I saw when I was a kid and haven't forgotten. THe people on this planet waged war by computer and if your place was hit in simulation, you were required to report for what amounted to extermination. The two sides felt it was more human the actual bloodiness of war.

Well, bull. War is bloody, it sucks and real people die. The answer is to not have wars. If you can't have that, then the answer is to win, and you win by whatever means and technology are at your disposal.

That's true. However, we maintain that some acts are illegal or wrong even for a war, and vaporizing civilians certainly strikes me as a war-crime if ever there was one.

The military targets needed to be taken out. They supported Japan's warmaking capability.

It's not a matter of who you think deserved to be killed. It's a matter of winning a war, and lest you forget, Japan started it and I doubt anyone that died at Pearl Harbor deserved to die either.

There are consequences for actions. Military actions bring consequences against nations, not just that nation's military personnel. That "clinical" war is pipedreaming from the left, and it's why we don't win anymore. We're more concerned with being politically correct than winning.

The children didn't help Japan's war-making capability. Yes, Japan attacked us first, and certainly nobody deserved to die there. However, attacking the civilians for the crimes of the government is a crime unto itself.

Civilians weren't attacked. Both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were legitimate military targets. People die as a result of war. I don't see a 17 years old draftee being dropped on a beach saturated with enemy gunfire as any more nor less deserving than a noncombatant who dies as a result of collateral damage.

When you figure out how to end all wars, let me know. I want to be your business manager. Until then, war = death. That's how the game is played.

A lot of you remind me of a Star Trek episode I saw when I was a kid and haven't forgotten. THe people on this planet waged war by computer and if your place was hit in simulation, you were required to report for what amounted to extermination. The two sides felt it was more human the actual bloodiness of war.

Well, bull. War is bloody, it sucks and real people die. The answer is to not have wars. If you can't have that, then the answer is to win, and you win by whatever means and technology are at your disposal.

I doubt I, or anyone else for that matter, will ever figure out how to end all wars. However, we have certain standards we expect people to adhere to when in war, and dropping a nuclear bomb on a city filled with innocent civilians and children certainly goes beyond those standards.

I doubt I, or anyone else for that matter, will ever figure out how to end all wars. However, we have certain standards we expect people to adhere to when in war, and dropping a nuclear bomb on a city filled with innocent civilians and children certainly goes beyond those standards.

More people died in the fires from the bombing of Tokyo then died in either Atomic Bomb site.

Once again for the slow and stupid. Japan had no intention of ever surrendering. It took 2 Atomic bombs and the active intervention of the Emperor to force a surrender and even then the Army tried to stop the Emperors surrender speach from being broadcast.

The Army which controlled the Government was not swayed by either atomic bomb attack. They intended to continue the war until the allies gave up or went away. They did not care that their defense plans would slaughter MILLIONS of their civilians, they did not care that starvation and lack of fuel for the winter would also kill millions.

The Emperor refused to intervene until after the first atomic bomb and then he only agreed to CONDITIONAL surrender that would have left Japan with everything they still held and would have just been an agreement by the allies to go away. After the second one he realized his whole nation was in peril and went against the Army. They attempted a Coup and failed.

Here a bunch of SOURCE Documents that clearly show the events.

The Atomic Bomb and the End of World War II: A Collection of Primary Sources

Would it have been better f no civilians had been killed? Yes. Should civilian casualties be avoided whenever possible without jeopardizing the war? Yes. Was it a 'necessary evil'? I believe so. It was the best damn option we had to stop a war that, if it has reached the mainland, would have involved innumerable deaths on both sides over a period of time we can hardly guess at.

Both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were MILITARY TARGETS. One was the location of an entire army forming to oppose the invasion, both had War Industry and were ports as I recall.

If you do not want your civilians killed then do not place your armies IN cities and do not place your civilians in Industrial complexes that build war material.

If you do not want your civilians killed then do not place your armies IN cities and do not place your civilians in Industrial complexes that build war material.

I wonder whether they might have placed everything so in order to deter America from bombing those targets, knowing that we, unlike they, gad consciences.... kinda like the Taliban and Al Queda hiding among families and dropping their weapons after shooting our men to gt around our RoE...

Both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were MILITARY TARGETS. One was the location of an entire army forming to oppose the invasion, both had War Industry and were ports as I recall.

Just because those people had the misfortune of living under a tyrannical government that probably didn't care about them doesn't mean it was right for us to bomb them. Even though there were military targets in the cities they were still mostly civilians.

Just because those people had the misfortune of living under a tyrannical government that probably didn't care about them doesn't mean it was right for us to bomb them. Even though there were military targets in the cities they were still mostly civilians.

MORON ALERT. What should we have done, just let Japan have what ever they wanted? Good God you are ignorant.

MORON ALERT. What should we have done, just let Japan have what ever they wanted? Good God you are ignorant.

Yes, clearly, I'm the one being ignorant.

Using Atomic Bomb in Japan saved 250,000 American Lives
and maybe as many as a Million American lives
because those dumb Japanese would have fought to the death.
Because their Leaders would have been making up stories
about the American Government.

it only works that way when only you possess the nukes..that was then...this is now

It's amazing what IDIOTS will believe from their Government.
I know what's Right and what's Wrong.
Just takes a little intelligence to figure that out.
Vietnam was totally wrong
and if Americans weren't playing that stupid game called
"Follow The Leader"
then 58,000 plus Americans wouldn't of have to die in Nam.

so have you been living in a cave ?..do you think this is news ?..do you not think the common consensus was vietnam was wrong ?...who is arguing with you

Murderers (the Non-Vets)

I shouldn't call the Non-Vets Murderers
just because they lack any Intelligence.

Baltimore Bob

no you shouldn't...its kinda weird and creepy..and especially out loud ..in public ..that could cause... some problems

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCV7PobBqZk]YouTube - CSNY Ohio 1974[/ame]

Last edited:
Maybe some of the civilians did support their government and military, and maybe others were too scared to speak up. However, blind patriotism doesn't warrant being vaporized.

Yeah, we should have either left Tojo in power or wasted more American lives to cure them of their blind patriotism.:cuckoo:

What's lost so many times in these discussions is the fact that we dropped leaflets warning the population of coming disaster, for about a week prior to the first big boom.

It was a complete waste of time, as the Japanese citizenry was so brainwashed that I doubt even a offshore demonstration of the bomb would have made any difference whatsoever.

As to the OP, give your mom her computer back already, and find some summer activities that don't involve smoking dope while playing video games and trolling message boards with your fake character shit.

I disagree. Apparently Truman did as well. The certain standard to adhere to in war is to win. Holding yourself to a higher standard than your enemy holds himself merely gives the enemy a weakness to exploit.

Which comes full circle to my first comment in this thread: time to pack it in and get out because we are not willing to do what we have to in order to win.

You keep saying the same thing despite having been shown by more than one person that you are incorrect, both historically and legally. You cannot win a war without defeating and subjugating its people, and destroying their will to fight. Just beating an army does NOT defeat a nation.

As editec mentioned, the war was between our societies, not just our militaries. The militaries are merely the tool that is used to wage the war.

The killing of those civillians was justified in that it saved OUR military an estimated 1M lives, and it brought about the end of WWII by completely defeating our enemy.

Yes, clearly, I'm the one being ignorant.

In fact, you are. You clearly do not have an understanding of war and/or how to wage one. The results of people thinking like you? Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. The results of people knowing what they are doing? WW's I&II, the Spanish -American War, the First Gulf War.

What's lost so many times in these discussions is the fact that we dropped leaflets warning the population of coming disaster, for about a week prior to the first big boom.

It was a complete waste of time, as the Japanese citizenry was so brainwashed that I doubt even a offshore demonstration of the bomb would have made any difference whatsoever.

As to the OP, give your mom her computer back already, and find some summer activities that don't involve smoking dope while playing video games and trolling message boards with your fake character shit.

I'm not sure "brainwashed" is a good term. Maybe it is. We all believe what our societies and cultures tell us. Japanese culture and society pre-WW II could not be compared to ours at all and applying our Western minds to their actions only creates misunderstanding and bad decisions. We are however, rather consistent at doing it.

In FACT what everyone states here was
JAPAN was a Nation of COWARDS.
Treating others as being inferior to them.
If that ain't Coward thinking.

Japan 100% Coward vs America only 75%.

No it's pretty much every nation probably 75%.

America has Baltimore Bob leading the way

Forum List

Back