Uses For Big, Empty Factory Buildings

bush lover

Feb 18, 2005
With GM, Ford, et al closing cavernous factories for good, what should we do with these perfectly good buildings? Many of these facilities have their own sewage plants, even generators and such. In effect, these are self-contained facilities, many in prime holiday areas, such as the Stevens plant on Hartwell Lake in South Carolina. My idea is convert these massive buildings into indoor trailer camps. Full-time senior citizen RVers would welcome an indoor trailer camp because it's warm and out of the elements. Developers could put in swimming pools and the like, all indoors. They could even have a doctor there, right on site. Then our senior citizens could camp there for the winter instead of in the desert in Arizona without facilities. It's a win-win situation. China and Mexico get our jobs, our U.S. consumers get cheaper prices and our senior citizens have a warm, dry place to stay in their trailers! And the local people of means would avoid seeing trailer camps from their gated communities, because they would be inside! Developers: Go for it!

bush lover said:
With GM, Ford, et al closing cavernous factories for good, what should we do with these perfectly good buildings? Many of these facilities have their own sewage plants, even generators and such. In effect, these are self-contained facilities, many in prime holiday areas, such as the Stevens plant on Hartwell Lake in South Carolina. My idea is convert these massive buildings into indoor trailer camps. Full-time senior citizen RVers would welcome an indoor trailer camp because it's warm and out of the elements. Developers could put in swimming pools and the like, all indoors. They could even have a doctor there, right on site. Then our senior citizens could camp there for the winter instead of in the desert in Arizona without facilities. It's a win-win situation. China and Mexico get our jobs, our U.S. consumers get cheaper prices and our senior citizens have a warm, dry place to stay in their trailers! And the local people of means would avoid seeing trailer camps from their gated communities, because they would be inside! Developers: Go for it!
:teeth: Yeah, camping/RVing is ALL about being indoors. :teeth:

yes let people live in a factory....i am sure there were no "bad" liquids used in there? asbestos insulation? lead paint paint? the phase I analysis and the phase II toxic clean up will cost a small fortune.....oh i renovate olde factories / warehouses to housing.....an auto factory would not be a good candidate due to the toxic solvents used....

ScreamingEagle said:
Isn't that what the RVers are for? :D
That works, but somehow I don't think that's what bush lover has in mind.
First thing that comes to reading his/her mind is, "FREE" shelter.
If that's the case, lets go for the homeless not the RVers. But even then tax is due....Maybe bush love could explain this great plan in more detail.

Mr. P said:
That works, but somehow I don't think that's what bush lover has in mind.
First thing that comes to reading his/her mind is, "FREE" shelter.
If that's the case, lets go for the homeless not the RVers. But even then tax is due....Maybe bush love could explain this great plan in more detail.

who pays for their cancer from the benzine solvents?.....brain damage from the lead paint?.....lung cancer from the asbestos?

Forum List

Back