User Rep Quarterly Reminder

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
It's that time again, and I'll say right up front I don't want to hear any names or this turn into a pissing contest. If anyone has a problem with another member specifically in regard to user rep, you can PM myself or Jillian with the specifics and one of us will look into it.

In case some are unaware, I can look up user rep on all members of this board, and read the comments, so it isn't like PMs.

User rep is a privilege extended by the board as something to make it just a bit more interesting. Some people care about it, some don't. Either way, it is not there to be abused by either continually giving negative rep to someone, or continually giving positive rep to someone.

This is one of those things where if you aren't abusing it, I'm not controlling it. But, I can and will if I feel it's necessary. Individuals who continually abuse the system can and will have this privilege rescinded.

I prefer it not come to that.

Gunny, how does it work when someone receives a bad rep comment? Much to my horror, I received one yesterday. It didn't seem to lower my rep...does that mean I need to get a bunch of good rep comments to counteract it?

Gunny, how does it work when someone receives a bad rep comment? Much to my horror, I received one yesterday. It didn't seem to lower my rep...does that mean I need to get a bunch of good rep comments to counteract it?

This is from a post in another thread towards the bottom of the first page in this forum:

Click on the scales in the top right border of the post you wish to give either positive or negative reputation to. A window will appear and you can choose between positive rep and negative rep. There is also a space below your choice to express your opinion concerning the post.

If you look at the top right hand corner of your box, it says rep power and rep total.

If you give postive rep, an amount of points is given to the person you rep equal to your rep power.

If you give negative rep, an amount of points is taken from the person you rep equal to half your rep power.

If you go to the main page and look to the top left of the page you will see "User CP (Control Panel). Click on that, and the last 10-15 reps given you along with their comments will appear.

To answer your question, rep points only affect your user rep. They otherwise do not affect you as a member either negatively or positively. If you still have questions about it, feel free to ask.

OK, now that you've explained how rep points are earned (lost), can you explain how rep power is calculated? Just curious.

I also think that a rep points (or power) to posts ratio would be kind of a cool stat to add if possible.

It's that time again, and I'll say right up front I don't want to hear any names or this turn into a pissing contest. If anyone has a problem with another member specifically in regard to user rep, you can PM myself or Jillian with the specifics and one of us will look into it.

In case some are unaware, I can look up user rep on all members of this board, and read the comments, so it isn't like PMs.

User rep is a privilege extended by the board as something to make it just a bit more interesting. Some people care about it, some don't. Either way, it is not there to be abused by either continually giving negative rep to someone, or continually giving positive rep to someone.

This is one of those things where if you aren't abusing it, I'm not controlling it. But, I can and will if I feel it's necessary. Individuals who continually abuse the system can and will have this privilege rescinded.

I prefer it not come to that.

Gee, then you should look into my negative reps. Almost all of them came from Jillian, usually with an obnoxious aside about trying to teach me manners or some such thing.

OK, now that you've explained how rep points are earned (lost), can you explain how rep power is calculated? Just curious.

I also think that a rep points (or power) to posts ratio would be kind of a cool stat to add if possible.

IIRC, it is based on total number of posts and total rep points. I think every 100 posts you get one point. I don't know how many total rep points increases rep power each time. It is an automatic system.

Rep points to posts would not really be an indicator of anything. When I first came to this board I think the person with the highest rep power had like 17 points. I toook a long time to amass rep. Currently, you can have one post and get 2000 or so rep points for it if one one the older members gives it.

Oh ... besides that ... it isn't an option in the program.:lol:

I will repeat ...

If you have an issue with another member and what you consider abuse of the rep system, feel free to PM me with the info. It will not be discussed in a public forum.

IIRC, it is based on total number of posts and total rep points. I think every 100 posts you get one point. I don't know how many total rep points increases rep power each time. It is an automatic system.

Rep points to posts would not really be an indicator of anything. When I first came to this board I think the person with the highest rep power had like 17 points. I toook a long time to amass rep. Currently, you can have one post and get 2000 or so rep points for it if one one the older members gives it.

Oh ... besides that ... it isn't an option in the program.:lol:

I think you're right because Mani has given me good rep twice and this last time it boosted me two points instead of the one it did the first time. I notice he's over 200. When he gave me bad rep back when he was a lowly newb, nothing was taken away.

Hey, Gunny, is there any way I can bribe you into giving me some good rep? I'm feeling kind of down with Shogun smacking me all over the board.

;)

Gee, then you should look into my negative reps. Almost all of them came from Jillian, usually with an obnoxious aside about trying to teach me manners or some such thing.

It's not nice to disparage others in public when there is no basis to your accusation. I'm only making an exception to the rule and posting a response in public because you accused in public.

Of your last 16 reps, for a period that covered the last 30 days, you received 16 rep comments. Only one of them was negative and not from Jillian. You received one rep comment from Jillian and it was a positive.

One negative rep in 30 days is hardly a trend, nor is there any trend in who you receive positive rep from.

You can do as you wish, but IMO, someone owes someone an apology.;)

It's not nice to disparage others in public when there is no basis to your accusation. I'm only making an exception to the rule and posting a response in public because you accused in public.

Of your last 16 reps, for a period that covered the last 30 days, you received 16 rep comments. Only one of them was negative and not from Jillian. You received one rep comment from Jillian and it was a positive.

One negative rep in 30 days is hardly a trend, nor is there any trend in who you receive positive rep from.

rotflmao!!!!

That's better than all the positive rep I could ever earn.

I think you're right because Mani has given me good rep twice and this last time it boosted me two points instead of the one it did the first time. I notice he's over 200. When he gave me bad rep back when he was a lowly newb, nothing was taken away.

Hey, Gunny, is there any way I can bribe you into giving me some good rep? I'm feeling kind of down with Shogun smacking me all over the board.

;)

EGADS!!! You think my integrity is for sale!?! :eusa_naughty:

I just repped you on 21 March. Ingrate.

"The last 30 days".

We both know the percentage of overall negs belong to Jillian.

"The last 30 days".

We both know the percentage of overall negs belong to Jillian.

You just WANT to bury yourself, don't you?

Jillian has left you 5 total rep comments since Jan 12, 2008. That's 4 months. Four negative reps and one positive. That a little over 1 rep per month -- 1 negative rep per month.

She has neg-repped you a total of 6 times, and pos repped you once since you joined in Oct 2007.

In that same amount of time, you have received pos rep from me 9 times. Am *I* abusing the rep system? I think not.

You don't have a case here, allie.

*EDIT* BTW ... she is nowhere near the worst at neg-repping.

Forum List

Back