Use Cloth Diapers Folks

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
My kidlet was born in August, and I took her home with me to a house with no a/c. As a baby present, one of my cousins sent me a case of disposable diapers, but after using one on her I gave them away -- because after using one, when I went to change her, she had a first degree burn where the plastic had been bonded to her delicate skin by urine.

Well, flash forward to 2010. You new parents have better washers and dryers than I did. They still sell diaper pails, and baby pee or shit is not exactly the End of The World. Stop using disposable diapers, folks. It is bad for Planet Earth and terrible for the baby.

Parents claim new diapers cause severe rashes | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Entertainment, Video and Photos

http://www.mothering.com/articles/new_baby/diapers/politics.html

proctor&gamble poisoned products

I never did understand why it was supposed to be easier to use disposables. Buck this evil trend, and use cloth diapers on your babies.

breast feed those rug rats too, ladies.

cow's milk has the wrong fats and sugars --- synthetic formula is not going to be anywhere near as good as the real deal.

Yeah, honestly washer/dryer technology is only going to keep getting better and better, more efficient etc.

• Banned
Not everyone can breast feed. While it is the best and cheapest way to nourish a baby, bottle feeding can be almost as good. The formula on the market now is great...just be sure the water and bottles are sanitary. Don't let anyone guilt you, new mommies, if you bottle feed. EVERYONE my age was bottle-fed and my generation has still managed to urp up some bright, healthy people.

Re-think the cost, labor, and impact of buying disposable diapers but please, first of all, consider the impact on your new baby. Whom you undoubtedly are ♥ head over heels in love ♥ with.

Congrats to all the new Mommies and Daddies...especially ones having their first Mother's Day this Sunday.

mothers-day-holidays-other-holidays-46204.jpg

They make diapers alittle differently these days.
And when my son was a baby I didn't have the time for cloth diapers.

I also breast fed but could only do it for two months. My son wanted it from the bottle, I didn't produce enough, and I had to go back to work at 6 weeks. I was also working around 50hrs a week when I went back to work.

Now, I am actually working on potty training, but not having to buy diapers is still at least a year off. We have just established when he goes poopie. So, right now I get to wake up to my son telling me, " Poopie mommy". Which is a great way to wake up. :lol:

• Banned
They make diapers alittle differently these days.
And when my son was a baby I didn't have the time for cloth diapers.

I also breast fed but could only do it for two months. My son wanted it from the bottle, I didn't produce enough, and I had to go back to work at 6 weeks. I was also working around 50hrs a week when I went back to work.

Now, I am actually working on potty training, but not having to buy diapers is still at least a year off. We have just established when he goes poopie. So, right now I get to wake up to my son telling me, " Poopie mommy". Which is a great way to wake up. :lol:

I so envy you Luissa. Those were some of the best days of my life. Right now I have a raging case of "grandbaby fever", he he. Mah poor ♥ kidlet ♥.

Happy Mother's Day, miss.

My kidlet was born in August, and I took her home with me to a house with no a/c. As a baby present, one of my cousins sent me a case of disposable diapers, but after using one on her I gave them away -- because after using one, when I went to change her, she had a first degree burn where the plastic had been bonded to her delicate skin by urine.

Well, flash forward to 2010. You new parents have better washers and dryers than I did. They still sell diaper pails, and baby pee or shit is not exactly the End of The World. Stop using disposable diapers, folks. It is bad for Planet Earth and terrible for the baby.

Parents claim new diapers cause severe rashes | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Entertainment, Video and Photos

http://www.mothering.com/articles/new_baby/diapers/politics.html

proctor&gamble poisoned products

I never did understand why it was supposed to be easier to use disposables. Buck this evil trend, and use cloth diapers on your babies.

I used cloth diapers and training pants for the first 5 years.....sorry, I give up, I'm using disposable now. He's 22. You can only deal with so much.

cow's milk has the wrong fats and sugars --- synthetic formula is not going to be anywhere near as good as the real deal.

Baby formula isn't usually based on cow's milk. It's a soy-based compound. And if you want kids breastfed, use YOUR breasts for it instead of telling other people what to do with theirs.

By the way, I think if I'd had a problem like the OP's with disposable diapers, I'd have gone and talked to the pediatrician, because that isn't even REMOTELY common. All three of my kids have used disposable diapers, with no difficulties whatsoever. Cloth diapers, on the other hand, leave the waste next to the baby's skin, and if you don't want to have your house be unsanitary with all the leaks, you have to put plastic pants on over them, which them increases the chance of severe diaper rash. No thanks.

Baby formula isn't usually based on cow's milk. It's a soy-based compound. And if you want kids breastfed, use YOUR breasts for it instead of telling other people what to do with theirs.

By the way, I think if I'd had a problem like the OP's with disposable diapers, I'd have gone and talked to the pediatrician, because that isn't even REMOTELY common. All three of my kids have used disposable diapers, with no difficulties whatsoever. Cloth diapers, on the other hand, leave the waste next to the baby's skin, reportedly, and if you don't want to have your house be unsanitary with all the leaks, you have to put plastic pants on over them, which them increases the chance of severe diaper rash. No thanks.

I never ever had the same problem with cloth diapers and plastic pants as I had with disposables, but yes, you are correct -- most folks can use them without harm to their baby. The new P & G "extra-absorbent" disposables evidentially have a new ingredient that does create a higher risk to the baby of skin problems, and some have reportedly been quite severe.

Cloth diapers, on the other hand, leave the waste next to the baby's skin, reportedly,....

Quite true. I'm given to understand from new parents that a baby in a disposable at say, age one month, need only be changed a few times a day. Such a baby in a cloth diaper needs changing much more often...about as often as you feed him or her. And I gather this is one reason that many day care centers refuse to allow babies in their care to wear cloth diapers. But if you stay at home, cloth is better...and even for babies in day care, cloth is better WHILE at home.

New parents these days do not ever seem to pause and reflect on what type diaper to use, as if cloth diapers are just too declasse' to even consider. The knee-jerk reach for disposables makes me wonder if new parents think cloth diapers harken back to ye olde stone age, when really, they are just as convenient (wrap the dirty diaper inside a plastic baggy till you can wash it...no odor or mess). They're far less expensive, especially if you plan to have another baby later. And without a doubt, cloth diapers are far better for Mother Earth.

Yanno, the planet that baby is going to have to live on as an adult?

MotherEarthNoText.jpg

Last edited:

By the way, I think if I'd had a problem like the OP's with disposable diapers, I'd have gone and talked to the pediatrician, because that isn't even REMOTELY common. All three of my kids have used disposable diapers, with no difficulties whatsoever. Cloth diapers, on the other hand, leave the waste next to the baby's skin, reportedly, and if you don't want to have your house be unsanitary with all the leaks, you have to put plastic pants on over them, which them increases the chance of severe diaper rash. No thanks.

I never ever had the same problem with cloth diapers and plastic pants as I had with disposables, but yes, you are correct -- most folks can use them without harm to their baby. The new P & G "extra-absorbent" disposables evidentially have a new ingredient that does create a higher risk to the baby of skin problems, and some have reportedly been quite severe.

Cloth diapers, on the other hand, leave the waste next to the baby's skin, reportedly,....

Quite true. I'm given to understand from new parents that a baby in a disposable at say, age one month, need only be changed a few times a day. Such a baby in a cloth diaper needs changing much more often...about as often as you feed him or her. And I gather this is one reason that many day care centers refuse to allow babies in their care to wear cloth diapers. But if you stay at home, cloth is better...and even for babies in day care, cloth is better WHILE at home.

New parents these days do not ever seem to pause and reflect on what type diaper to use, as if cloth diapers are just too declasse' to even consider. The knee-jerk reach for disposables makes me wonder if new parents think cloth diapers harken back to ye olde stone age, when really, they are just as convenient (wrap the dirty diaper inside a plastic baggy till you can wash it...no odor or mess). They're far less expensive, especially if you plan to have another baby later. And without a doubt, cloth diapers are far better for Mother Earth.

Yanno, the planet that baby is going to have to live on as an adult?

Sorry, but I'm a lot more interested in my baby's welfare than I am in some mythological, lofty need to "save the planet". The planet is big enough to take care of itself. My baby isn't. Besides, disposables are biodegradable now. And cloth diapers are diaper rash waiting to happen.

Cloth diapers, on the other hand, leave the waste next to the baby's skin, and if you don't want to have your house be unsanitary with all the leaks, you have to put plastic pants on over them, which them increases the chance of severe diaper rash. No thanks.

Where do you think the poop goes in a disposable? Do you think that disposable diapers just make it magically disappear? When your baby uses the diaper, you change them. Presto! No more gross stuff making contact with your babies skin.

It sounds like there's some really lazy parents out there who would rather make their child sit in a dirty diaper all day.

Forum List

Back