USDA Privatizing Inspections?

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
I am a God on this message board.
Admittedly, this is out of an email from Credo, but they have a good reputation for not bullshitting; I've never seen anyone accuse them of distorting the facts. And this would be easy enough to verify. That said:

Three chickens per second.

Under a new plan proposed by USDA, that's how fast inspectors would have to conduct quality control inspections in poultry factories — six times the current rate.

Worse, USDA's proposed rules privatize these inspections, letting the industry police itself by replacing highly trained USDA food inspectors with poultry facility employees who have no required training.1

Salmonella in our meat and poultry makes nearly a million people sick every year in the US — it's our number one cause of food-borne illness. USDA's new plan could make the problem even worse, and we have just days to stop it.

Tell the USDA: Don't weaken poultry inspection standards!

Food safety groups are opposing the standards and veteran poultry inspectors are calling them "a big step back," and "a very, very bad idea."2

Current rules provide for three inspectors to examine 140 birds per minute. Under the new rules, inspections would speed up to 200 per minute — with only one inspector on the line. Even the professionals say that is way too fast.

With far less time to inspect each chicken, unsanitary, defective poultry meat has a higher chance of making it into our supermarkets. And while USDA says it would save less than $30 million per year on poultry inspection costs, it could cost the agency (and us) far more to deal with potential increases in foodborne illness.

I wonder if Tyson will sub it out to the same contractors that fills their plants with undocumented butchers.

Hey, we can't afford big government intruding into our lives and pocket books. It's all about personal responsibility, check out that chicken before it's put in the pot (both chickens, Romney promised) and if you get sick don't go running to the nearest public hospital. We the People are tired of freeloaders who want the government to take care of them from cradle to grave and those damn public employees who inspect the chickens now feel entitled, let the private sector show how employees should be treated. If they can't keep up and do at least five chickens an hour, out the door another person will love to have their job.

Chicken from the local growers is far cleaner than the assembly line shit you get from BigAgra:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnfE721NKDw]Natural Farming @ Polyface Farms - YouTube[/ame]

Chicken from the local growers is far cleaner than the assembly line shit you get from BigAgra:

Natural Farming @ Polyface Farms - YouTube
That's all very nice, and very irrelevant to the majority of the population, who get their chicken from supermarkets while they are getting the rest of their groceries. Key point.
Wrong, it's very relevant.

E-coli outbreaks have been traced back to Large Feed lots run by Big Agra. If you watched the video you'd have heard the farmer state that testing shows that small farm chicken is MUCH safer that what BigAgra grows.

If an outbreak is traced back to a small farm then just that food supply has to be destroyed. When ConAgra or Tyson has an outbreak, millions of pounds of beef has to be destroyed. Which has happened before

But BigAgra has a solution to outbreaks: Spray all the beef with bacteria killing ammonia gas. How you like that? :lol:

Natural Farming @ Polyface Farms - YouTube
That's all very nice, and very irrelevant to the majority of the population, who get their chicken from supermarkets while they are getting the rest of their groceries. Key point.
Wrong, it's very relevant.

E-coli outbreaks have been traced back to Large Feed lots run by Big Agra. If you watched the video you'd have heard the farmer state that testing shows that small farm chicken is MUCH safer that what BigAgra grows.

If an outbreak is traced back to a small farm then just that food supply has to be destroyed. When ConAgra or Tyson has an outbreak, millions of pounds of beef has to be destroyed. Which has happened before

But BigAgra has a solution to outbreaks: Spray all the beef with bacteria killing ammonia gas. How you like that? :lol:

My point is that it's irrelevant to the vast majority of shoppers who don't have time to make special trips to farmers markets. And also most likely cannot afford the higher price per pound.

I am all for much stricter regulations on BigAgra, and maybe new rules as far as mandating smaller 'batches', more separate areas, more inspectors, more cleanliness standards, and better treatment of the animals. How about you?

My point is that it's irrelevant to the vast majority of shoppers who don't have time to make special trips to farmers markets. And also most likely cannot afford the higher price per pound.

I am all for much stricter regulations on BigAgra, and maybe new rules as far as mandating smaller 'batches', more separate areas, more inspectors, more cleanliness standards, and better treatment of the animals. How about you?
Absolutely! The problem is is that it seems to me that BigAgra has gotten FAR too big and is in need of some anti-trust lawsuits.

Just like what happened with Big Tobacco, they resisted at first but they were finally beaten.

Add Big Pharma, the Military Industrial Complex and the Medical Industrial Complex to that list as well.

That and farm subsidies that make corn far too cheap. I could go on and on...

Absolutely! The problem is is that it seems to me that BigAgra has gotten FAR too big and is in need of some anti-trust lawsuits.

Just like what happened with Big Tobacco, they resisted at first but they were finally beaten.

Add Big Pharma, the Military Industrial Complex and the Medical Industrial Complex to that list as well.

That and farm subsidies that make corn far too cheap. I could go on and on...

Go on!!!......

images

Such privatization will result in unacceptable inspections, endangerment of the public's health, lack of confidence in the food supply, and under-compensated work force.

Forum List

Back