USDA Fights 'Mountain Pride'

Refusing to take food stamps doesn't automatically mean you're malnourishing your kids.

Perhaps not but it is a good indicator, if you actually qualify for food stamps with kids in the house it's a good bet that they are not getting three squares a day. No one is actually starving like Ethiopia but bad nutrition stunts learning, raising a generation of ignorant kids benefits only the republicans.
Clue: Just because gubmint does something doesn't mean that people won't do it for themselves.

Get one.

Refusing to take food stamps doesn't automatically mean you're malnourishing your kids.

Perhaps not but it is a good indicator, if you actually qualify for food stamps with kids in the house it's a good bet that they are not getting three squares a day. No one is actually starving like Ethiopia but bad nutrition stunts learning, raising a generation of ignorant kids benefits only the republicans.

bullshit. how do you know they don't have gardens, raise chickens, have diary cows? or hunt deer? not everyone has to suck off the welfare teat to feed themselves.

bullshit. how do you know they don't have gardens, raise chickens, have diary cows? or hunt deer?

Indeed...OFF the grid? Not everyone lives alike. Some unfortunately refuse to think outside the box.

bullshit. how do you know they don't have gardens, raise chickens, have diary cows? or hunt deer? not everyone has to suck off the welfare teat to feed themselves.
Now you're just being ign'int.

I never heard of no bush that grows mac & cheez or seen nobody pick no Twinkies from a tree! :lol:

BS

A family of 5 qualifies making 50k a year. Just under 50k for a family of four.

I know several people that grow their own food, from seeds they've saved from prior years. They also have chickens and their eggs to eat, goats for milk, cheese and meat, too. You don't need government assistance to eat well. They have bees making honey, too. :)

I can still remeber that Okie pioneer pride growing up in the sixties. In rural Oklahoma my family was well off, but I saw some people that had been sick or crippled not able to feed or clothe their family. I saw children running in underwear because that is all they had to wear, cause i would go with my Papa and visit this family and give them my old clothes.
I saw kids eating wish sanwiches, when they were available. living in shot-gun shacks with no heat or air and electricity that had been installed in the 1930's. Well water still hand pumped.
I usually played with the kids as my Papa took his gifts of love to these people, their father was bed riiden and could not maintain his farm anymore. No one seemed to help this familly by us.

I know several people that grow their own food, from seeds they've saved from prior years. They also have chickens and their eggs to eat, goats for milk, cheese and meat, too. You don't need government assistance to eat well. They have bees making honey, too. :)

yes, in hard times it seems the rural farmers have it easier than the big city unemployed. I have 43 acres, soI can grow all the food I want and then some. But I know kow more people without land than with.
But on the flipside is, when I have extra and i try to give it away people shy away when I tell them they must harvest it.

Who says they aren't feeding them well? Just because somebody qualifies for foodstamps and doesn't get them doesn't necessarily mean they aren't feeding their kids well. The categorical eligibility limit for foodstamps is 185 percent of the federal poverty limit, or almost twice the federal poverty limit. And families who are at the poverty limit can still feed themselves.

America's definition of "eating well" and the rest of the world's definition of eating well do not mesh...just as our idea of "hunger" has no real meaning, when compared to countries where people are REALLY hungry. Our definition is skipping a meal once a week, or not having a certain number of days' food stored in the cupboard. It isn't real hunger.

Agreed. Big assumption, big jump. The blind leading the blind. Spending borrowed money along the way. I bet their Paychecks bring it all into focus. ;)

yes, in hard times it seems the rural farmers have it easier than the big city unemployed. I have 43 acres, soI can grow all the food I want and then some. But I know kow more people without land than with.
But on the flipside is, when I have extra and i try to give it away people shy away when I tell them they must harvest it.
:lol: :)

My chickens produce more than we can use, but not enough to try and sell. Often when we try to give them away, the recipients only want them if they are delivered. Same with excess from my garden.

My chickens produce more than we can use, but not enough to try and sell. Often when we try to give them away, the recipients only want them if they are delivered. Same with excess from my garden.

yes indeed. i did always make exceptions. I always took it to my grandma and mom. I do miss them.

The goal is to eliminate the concepts of pride and self-reliance. Not just pride. The people need to be forced to adopt the new standard of government dependency.

No one has said that their children were malnourished. It's not even part of the government's argument. The argument is that these people are resisting government dependency because they are proud and self reliant. That's what liberals need to do away with,

What are people who have no pride, who depend on someone else for everything? They are slaves. Which is the real point of government dependency.

Do you want to see what government dependency looks like? Rerun the news that came out of New Orleans before Katrina hit. Thousands of people standing around waiting for the government to take care of them when they have no self-reliance to care for themselves nor pride in themselves enough to try.

Where is our food? Where is our transportation? Why isn't someone here to take care of us?

That's slavery.

The goal is to eliminate the concepts of pride and self-reliance. Not just pride. The people need to be forced to adopt the new standard of government dependency.

No one has said that their children were malnourished. It's not even part of the government's argument. The argument is that these people are resisting government dependency because they are proud and self reliant. That's what liberals need to do away with,

What are people who have no pride, who depend on someone else for everything? They are slaves. Which is the real point of government dependency.

Do you want to see what government dependency looks like? Rerun the news that came out of New Orleans before Katrina hit. Thousands of people standing around waiting for the government to take care of them when they have no self-reliance to care for themselves nor pride in themselves enough to try.

Where is our food? Where is our transportation? Why isn't someone here to take care of us?

That's slavery.

And Government control. Erosion of liberty.

They don't want food stamps...

USDA Combats

1. If mom and dad choose to not use food stamps then their children suffer and that's child abuse.
2. When these people get sick due to unhealthy eating, they go to the E.R. and that sends all our health care costs up.

And ... The article specifically says the food stamps can be used for seeds to grow your own food. You guys are against seeds now? Really?
My parents were never on food stamps, and I never suffered or was abused as a result. I imagine the same holds true for damn near every American in history.

Forum List

Back