USDA announces recall of 36 million pounds of Cargill ground turkey

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Is it really a good idea to do away with regulation?

USDA announces recall of 36 million pounds of Cargill ground turkey | Grand Forks Herald | Grand Forks, North Dakota

WASHINGTON — Meat giant Cargill is recalling 36 million pounds of ground turkey linked to a nationwide salmonella outbreak that has killed one person in California and sickened at least 76 others.

Illnesses in the outbreak date back to March and have been reported in 26 states coast to coast.
<more>

The USDA had nothing to do with Cargill recalling 36 million pounds of ground turkey. Cargill did it voluntarily. They also shut down the plant responsible for this ground turkey voluntarily.

The real problem is that people don't know how to cook turkey properly. They seem to think that because they cook ground beef to medium rare that it'll be ok to do the same with ground turkey. Well, it's not.

I work in the turkey industry and believe it or not, this isn't a problem with Cargill, and the USDA did absolutely nothing to keep this from happening.

If cooked properly (to 165 degrees) any salmonella is cooked right out of the ground turkey, but it seems these consumers don't know that.

Rick

USDA announces recall of 36 million pounds of Cargill ground turkey | Grand Forks Herald | Grand Forks, North Dakota

WASHINGTON — Meat giant Cargill is recalling 36 million pounds of ground turkey linked to a nationwide salmonella outbreak that has killed one person in California and sickened at least 76 others.

Illnesses in the outbreak date back to March and have been reported in 26 states coast to coast.
<more>

The USDA had nothing to do with Cargill recalling 36 million pounds of ground turkey. Cargill did it voluntarily. They also shut down the plant responsible for this ground turkey voluntarily.

The real problem is that people don't know how to cook turkey properly. They seem to think that because they cook ground beef to medium rare that it'll be ok to do the same with ground turkey. Well, it's not.

I work in the turkey industry and believe it or not, this isn't a problem with Cargill, and the USDA did absolutely nothing to keep this from happening.

If cooked properly (to 165 degrees) any salmonella is cooked right out of the ground turkey, but it seems these consumers don't know that.

Rick
If cooked properly, it tastes like charred ass.

<more>

Rick
So, we can just get rid of the FDA, and suggest that every consumer take responsibility for the safety of the food they eat.

And why is this in the media section? Did Michael Moore contaminate the meat or something?

<more>

Rick
So, we can just get rid of the FDA, and suggest that every consumer take responsibility for the safety of the food they eat.

Please point out to me exactly where I said that. I'll wait.

What I pointed out is that your statement about doing away with regulation is complete B.S. since the USDA had absolutely nothing to do with this recall of ground turkey. The USDA simply put out a statement that Cargill voluntarily recalled 36 million pounds of ground turkey.

And furthermore there is no USDA regulation that would have stopped this salmonella since it is a result of safe handling of the product and had pretty much nothing to do with the production of it.

Your own link states that if cooked properly to a temp of 165 degrees any salmonella would have been cooked out of the turkey.

Maybe the idiot consumer needs to be educated a little more to correctly prepare the products they purchase.

Rick

imma have to go with ricky hboats on this one. if not for the fact i really wanted to say ricky hboats

<more>

Gee, if only people knew what temperature to cook turkey to to make sure it is safe.

I may have my tin foil hat on when I say this but..

anyone else see this as a push to eat hormone/GMO turkey/chicken etc... products?

<more>

Can't they get the job done with less than 101,800 employees?

I may have my tin foil hat on when I say this but..

anyone else see this as a push to eat hormone/GMO turkey/chicken etc... products?

No, but it does highlight the hazards of misusing antibiotics. I have a couple of one-pound packages in my freezer. I'll still use them, but will now be careful to make sure they are thoroughly cooked and I use 409 bleach to clean up. A nice batch of ground turkey chili oughta do it.

Forum List

Back