uscitizen says to forget about a 4,000 brand new Hemi Charger.

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Yep folks the days of the 5k muscle cars is over along with the .40 gas.

The days of 15k for a new 3 BR ranch house in the burbs is over too. Or would you sell your 3 BR house for 15K?

I don't understand the OP's point.

Are you implying that goods were cheap and that's why Middle Class people could afford to pay off their homes quickly and buy a new car every other year...take their kids on vacation every Summer...send their kids to college...save for their latter years?

I disagree... look at the payscale back then. It was high enough that people could afford to do those things, but it certainly wasn't close to today's...in terms of dollars. The difference isn't the $4K Hemi Charger... it's that the payscale today isn't keeping up with the cost of living in this ever more expensive country.

No, we will never see a $4k Charger... or a $4k car, for that matter again. The thing is that we need to allow more people to afford the cars and homes and durable goods at TODAY'S prices.

The OP's point?

To ridicule those who think we will ever have $2 gas again.

There is one way it can happen but not a good way. A massive world wide recession/depression.

Increasing production will not do it because as the price drops so does production.

Natural gas drilling has fallen way off since the price dropped a bunch off of the high a few years ago. And it is not because of govt regulations it is because of diminishing profits.

Last edited:

The days of 15k for a new 3 BR ranch house in the burbs is over too. Or would you sell your 3 BR house for 15K?

Back then wages were 70 cents an hour and bread cost 25 cents per loaf.

All we have done is moved the decimal point over a space and then multiplied by 1.4.

We can afford less because the government extracts more. Back in the day there was no medicare tax and social security was only 4%

Life moves on. Move along with it.

By the same token, gas is a lot cheaper than it was when I was growing up and it ran 37 cents a gallon. To keep up with inflation, it should be like 4.30

If everything kept pace regarding inflation I would not care If I had to pay $20 for a can of pop if I was paid $300/hr.

However in the past couple of decades wage growth has been pretty flat while energy, food and housing costs have more than doubled.

And since we became a consumer spending based economy in the 80's this long downturn was inevitable.

Last edited:
If everything kept pace regarding inflation I would not care If I had to pay $20 for a can of pop if I was paid $300/hr.

However in the past couple of decades wage growth has been pretty flat while energy, food and housing costs have more than doubled.

And since we became a consumer spending based economy in the 80's this long downturn was inevitable.

That's what I was getting at in my initial response to your post... Excellent summation of what I was trying to say.

The OP's point?

There is one way it can happen but not a good way. A massive world wide recession/depression.

Increasing production will not do it because as the price drops so does production.

Natural gas drilling has fallen way off since the price dropped a bunch off of the high a few years ago. And it is not because of govt regulations it is because of diminishing profits.

Gas was $1.89 when the boy wonder took office.

The OP's point?

Ive posted this illustration before, but I see demand calls for it one more time.

full-auto-albums-drama-queen-picture4331-gv022312dapr20120223054527.jpg

WHY was gas $1.89? How about the almost total collapse of the economy and it's effect on the markets? Nahh... it couldn't be that.... It had to be because a REPUBLICAN was in office....

idiots never look past their own noses....

Back then wages were 70 cents an hour and bread cost 25 cents per loaf.

All we have done is moved the decimal point over a space and then multiplied by 1.4.

We can afford less because the government extracts more. Back in the day there was no medicare tax and social security was only 4%

Life moves on. Move along with it.

By the same token, gas is a lot cheaper than it was when I was growing up and it ran 37 cents a gallon. To keep up with inflation, it should be like 4.30

The government isn't "extracting" more. Tax rates have been on the decline since the 60s and dropped dramatically after the 80s.

What's that led too?

Huge deficits. Huge debt.

Shrinking government protections and a less equitable remuneration for labor.

WHY was gas $1.89? How about the almost total collapse of the economy and it's effect on the markets? Nahh... it couldn't be that.... It had to be because a REPUBLICAN was in office....

idiots never look past their own noses....

Devalue the dollar another 30% that should help.

That's a damn fine machine..though.

My buddy just bought one. He got the most expensive one. And he got it in Orange. I thought he was crazy until I saw it. Looks just like the General Lee. LOL. And it ROARS! It RIPS!

I saw the cheaper version and I didn't love it.

And I saw the show where they pitted the Charger against the Camero and Mustang and the Charger won. I'm a Ford man and can admit this Charger is bad ass!!!

And he isn't driving it back and forth to work. It'll be a classic in 20 years. Already a head turner. Rich people don't care about gas prices. Look at Hummer owners.

And the economy was ready for a depression along with the rest of the world. Consumption had dropped dramatically.

You got a point you were trying to make?

Yea it would help every single manufactuer in the USA that exports products to sell around the world.

You got a point you were trying to make also? Or you against helping American manuf?

Yea it would help every single manufactuer in the USA that exports products to sell around the world.

You got a point you were trying to make also? Or you against helping American manuf?

Do you even know why it has devalued parrot?

And the economy was ready for a depression along with the rest of the world. Consumption had dropped dramatically.

You got a point you were trying to make?

Only an ignorant right winger would say such a thing. Clearly you don't know what is behind high oil prices.

But you righties don't care about details or facts. Just stick to your talking points.

But just like Obama made you chicken hawks look stupid yesterday for pushing for war, or just like your rush attacked that woman who testified about birth control for nothing more than being a good citizen, you keep looking worse and worse after each issue. You guys just don't realize how out of touch you are to reality.

Have you decided to run Romney yet? We can't wait! That's the best you got? :lol:

Romney has already gaffed enough to cost him the nomination. But he's not done yet. Everytime he opens his mouth he sounds as dumb as you do.

My last post was meant for Difiant and any other righty who doesn't understand the reasons behind high gas prices.

How can Republicans suggest they will solve gas prices when they don't even know what is behind the high gas prices?

Drill baby drill is just a gift to their oil buddies. Won't lower prices. Stupid right wingers.

Do you even know why it has devalued parrot?

Thom Hartmann explained why righties listen to Rush or watch Fox. 2 reasons.

a. Get your talking points. Us liberals tune into progressive talk radio and MSNBC to get the facts, not talking points. Hense why we don't say stupid shit like gas was under $2 when Obama took office. When you look at all the facts, it is so obvious this is just a right wing talking point, yet you continue to argue it because at least you are controlling the conversation, huh jackass? That's all that matters to you righties. Being right or telling the truth or facts are secondary to you people.

b. Listening to Rush make you feel like you are not alone. To confirm that others think and believe the way you do.

But don't get too cocky about your numbers. Rush isn't really that popular. But that doesn't matter to the station owners and advertisers that like him pushing that right wing bullshit. They are creating a greedy/ignorant society. Ayn Rand on one hand and Evangelical on the other. Makes no sense.

Forum List

Back