USAID & US Military Questioned On HaitiQuake

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Watching ABC (sorry FOX & MSNBC followers), and some people are questioning why USAID is in charge of effort and not the military.

The director of USAID put down the ignorant questions of why USAID was put in charge and not the military, since the military is equipped for rapid response....the answer is USAID had people out immediately. The argument was based on false premises. -go figure

The military took days to get the airport ready. The port is still useless. The infrastructure was bad before the disaster....3 million plus people in need of relief ... various services...and the media questions the logistical tactics?

ABC dupe said nobody is questioning the effort, but asked where are the supplies?

There is NO back up of supplies at the airport. The water port is useless. Haiti is a third world coutry with little in the way of infrastructure.
Hello? A monumental disaster.

Haiti is in deep doo doo, and it looks like there is very little the US, the UN and the other Nationional efforts can do to change the facts on the ground.

Haiti needs the world and the USA to put aside partisan bickering and to get behind what George W. Bush and Bill Clinton are doing.

Ignore the media nitwits and the Rush Limbaughs and show waht is best in human behavior.

and the Katrina response was still a national disgrace...and that should not be a reason to try to blame everything that is wrong with Haiti on Obama.

Last edited:
Watching ABC (sorry FOX & MSNBC followers), and some people are questioning why USAID is in charge of effort and not the military.

The director of USAID put down the ignorant questions of why USAID was put in charge and not the military, since the military is equipped for rapid response....the answer is USAID had people out immediately. The argument was based on false premises. -go figure

The military took days to get the airport ready. The port is still useless. The infrastructure was bad before the disaster....3 million plus people in need of relief ... various services...and the media questions the logistical tactics?

ABC dupe said nobody is questioning the effort, but asked where are the supplies?

There is NO back up at the airport. The water port is useless. Haiti is a third world coutry with little in the way of infrastructure.
Hello? A monumental disaster.

Haiti is in deep doo doo, and it looks like there is very little the US, the UN and the other Nationional efforts can do to change the facts on the ground.

Haiti needs the world and the USA to put aside partisan bickering and to get behind what George W. Bush and Bill Clinton are doing.

Ignore the media nitwits and the Rush Limbaughs and show waht is best in human behavior.

and the Katrina response was still a national disgrace...and that should not be a reason to try to blame everything that is wrong with Haiti on Obama.

This is what USAID exists to do. This sounds like a silly pissing match, but AID and the U.S. Military work hand in hand these days. AID is the expert on international relief and development. The military has the logistics and security side of the house.

There has been a lot of complain over air traffic controll issues there. The control tower at the airport went down with the earthquake. Why wasn't there an AWACS plane flying to take care of some of that issue?

This is a uniquely horrible disaster with all kinds of lessons to be learned all over the place. And there will be lots of questions asked in Haiti as well.

thank you for a rational response

There has been a lot of complain over air traffic controll issues there. The control tower at the airport went down with the earthquake. Why wasn't there an AWACS plane flying to take care of some of that issue?
That sort of question is what I find puzzling. What would be different on the ground if the comtrol tower had been untouched?

The issues surrounding the infrastructurewould be the same. The relief supplies would still have no way to get anywhere.

The questions so far remind me of the endless questions we hear surrounding Obama's birth cert. and 911. The questions are usually based on false premises and what ifs.

This is a uniquely horrible disaster with all kinds of lessons to be learned all over the place. And there will be lots of questions asked in Haiti as well.
One major lesson I put out is that expectations will be have to be lowered.

What happens when The Big One hits where I live now? We need to make sure infrastructure is reinforced and that people need to keep disaster supplies of their own...at the ready.

We are not a 3rd world country with it's inherent flaws...but we are a lazy nation. Reinforced buildings in the US are NOT always up to standards...retrofit...retrofit...retrofit...

Uniquely horrible, but inevitable.... I call it the "5-year event", every 5 years or so, some biblical natural disaster occurs, and shows the world the true barometer of world financial health. It was just a question of where.

As far as God events go, we were long overdue, actually. Especially after so many mild hurricane seasons. I've been saying for 2 years now, "think we're not approaching collapse? wait until the next Banda Aceh or Katrina. Then you'll see just how broke we really are."

You are right that this is uniquely horrible. Mainly because western governments are largely bankrupt. There is no liquidity available to handle stuff like this anymore. Haiti will not get the aid it needs, and may cease to exist as it sinks into chaos and disease. This is so unique because we (industrial nations) stand on the brink of a whole new paradigm. The game has forever changed, and not for the better.

I suppose Obama could just keep printing up fiat currency to pay for some reconstruction. But this Humpty Dumpty will never be put back together again. Reconstruction will eventually be entirely privatized, and public works will be replaced by condominiums and "Friedmanist" free market economic reforms. You watch.

We are not a 3rd world country with it's inherent flaws...but we are a lazy nation. Reinforced buildings in the US are NOT always up to standards...retrofit...retrofit...retrofit...

This...

Our diseased infrastructure upkeep fosters a series of disasters waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Anything th Presideny does will be criticized by fox; they despise the president and will be against everything he does.they will not parovide solutions only hate and criticism.anybody. Post what Republicans have given to America in the past 20 years?

thank you for a rational response

It means they can't do night operations. The airport was only open daylight hours.

And there is a huge problem with moving plans and material on the ground too. Part of what tower control does at an airport is shuffle planes around on the ground.

This...

Our diseased infrastructure upkeep fosters a series of disasters waiting to happen.

maybe we should go back to living in the caves and we can start over again? hmmmmm,..

I don't do dystopia.

Anything th Presideny does will be criticized by fox; they despise the president and will be against everything he does.they will not parovide solutions only hate and criticism.anybody. Post what Republicans have given to America in the past 20 years?

Well Crap. I was listening to O'Reilly the other day and he was saying what a great job OL'BO was doing in Haiti. LIked the way he jumped right on it.

Apparantly my hearing is off.

I saw a thing on the news this morning about a People's Republic of China hogging the runway for hours so they could make a "GEE look how special and wonderful WE ARE" film and photo op session, and then the Russians lied about low fuel and apparently took their sweet time getting out of the way!

Well, China is now on the way to totally taking our place as the "We are the Most Wonderous Country on the Planet" assholes!

Must be so nice to be so self-important that this bullshit takes precedence over the reality of a country in misery and people dying!

I am wondering what would stop some supplies from being flown in to Santo Domingo, and trucked to Haiti..... A little longer trip, but if supplies are waiting very long hours in queue because the prima donas have to have their "Moment", then why not!!!!
WFP Logistics - Home

I saw a thing on the news this morning about a People's Republic of China hogging the runway for hours so they could make a "GEE look how special and wonderful WE ARE" film and photo op session, and then the Russians lied about low fuel and apparently took their sweet time getting out of the way!

Well, China is now on the way to totally taking our place as the "We are the Most Wonderous Country on the Planet" assholes!

Must be so nice to be so self-important that this bullshit takes precedence over the reality of a country in misery and people dying!

I am wondering what would stop some supplies from being flown in to Santo Domingo, and trucked to Haiti..... A little longer trip, but if supplies are waiting very long hours in queue because the prima donas have to have their "Moment", then why not!!!!
WFP Logistics - Home
What the hell is wrong with you? The terrain and logistics. And why highlight a few instances of posturing.

gawd you're a pathetic complainer

Forum List

Back