USA vs. NK

Originally posted by Zhukov
With respect to the timing for Operation Barbarossa, at first Hitler had desired a fall of '40 campaign in another example of his..........

It's interesting, isn't it, that a man as universally hated as Hitler was turned out to be his own worst enemy. He doomed himself with his actions, yet he really had no choice, being the person he was.

As you mentioned earlier, had he shown the Soviet people a glimmer of hope, they would have gladly joined him in ousting their tormentor, Stalin. But Hitler, being who he was, couldn't do that. He didn't give a rat's ass about them- targeted them for slave labor and/or extermination. When the people saw that they were fighting for their lives, and not some bankrupt political ideology, it became a different matter.

It could also be argued that Hitler's declaration of war on the US was a huge blunder. He did it in the vain hope that his ally, Japan, would reciprocate by declaring war on the Soviet Union. This would have given the Soviet Union Hitler's problem-a two-front war. In reality, though, that probably didn't loom large. The US had been a belligerent participant in the war since it's onset in every sense except "official declaration".

I guess we've wandered off topic a bit. You mentioned something earlier about a WWII chatroom. Wouldn't dream of asking you to do my work for me, but could you steer me in the right direction?

Thanks. I enjoy jawing with you.

Originally posted by musicman
When the people saw that they were fighting for their lives, and not some bankrupt political ideology, it became a different matter.

This was probably the greatest miscalculation. It's also the reason the Russians don't call that war World War 2. The Russian people knew they were fighting for their very existence, not communism, and not Stalin. This is exemplified in the termonology they use, calling the conflict "The Great Patriotic War."

It could also be argued that Hitler's declaration of war on the US was a huge blunder. He did it in the vain hope that his ally, Japan, would reciprocate by declaring war on the Soviet Union. This would have given the Soviet Union Hitler's problem-a two-front war.

Even a minor Japanese incursion into the Soviet Far East could have tipped the balance in western Russia in the Nazi's favor by diverting vital Soviet divisions to the east to confront the Japanese. Zhukov was kept waiting in the Far East for a large portion of the initial Nazi offensive, in case of Japanese aggression. He only arrived in time to conduct the defense of Moscow.

Fortunately for the Soviets, a.) the Japanese were far more interested in arable land and readily available natural resources than they were in arctic wasteland, and b.) the Japanese had a treaty with the Soviets and bushido demanded they honor it.

I guess we've wandered off topic a bit.

Topic, schmopic.

You mentioned something earlier about a WWII chatroom. Wouldn't dream of asking you to do my work for me, but could you steer me in the right direction?

Someone else mentioned that, and I'm not sure exactly to what they were referring but I think it was a sarcastic remark.

Okay, Zhukov, I'm sorry I ever argued with you on this topic (says unsarasticly). You obviosly know your stuff. And you know what's funny, I don't really care that we wondered off toppic. Heres a quote from my very first post on this topic.

Originally posted by evancity2
I NEED ANSWERS. But I don't need stupid or of the piont answers (in other words, don't start talking about Matrix Reloaded or Michael Jackson for no apparent resean whatsoever). TNX

-oh yay, political relations between NK and USA or Un etc. are allowed.

evencity,
thats the way threads go sometimes. you don't like it don't start a thread!!!:D

Forum List

Back