USA Today Hacked On Twitter

LAfrique

VIP Member
May 16, 2011
Yesterday, at about 8:30 PM, I witnessed alleged hacking of USA Today on Twitter live. I had visited USA Today to view its tweets and got a message alleging "this user (USA Today) does not exists" on Twitter and displayed page shown no tweets and followers for USA Today. I clicked Follow and was only follower then, and immediately tweeted question hoping to know why USA Today had been suspended.

About a minutes later, I went to Twitter window to see if anyone had responded to my tweet, but there was no response. Because I had multiple windows opened for Twitter, I mistaken clicked on USA Today on another opened Twitter window and USA Today was shown as having thousands of followers on Twitter and as havig tweeted thousands of tweets. I immediately view other Twitter window and USA Today was shown as having no tweets and 1 follower (me).

I opened a third Twitter window and tweeted "Funny things happening on Twitter. Just re-visited USAToday and it exists; though 2. One alleges thousands followers & the other 1 (me)."

I thereafter proceeded to another window to continue my online activities. When I returned to Twitter minutes later, USA Today was on board apologizing and announcing it had been hacked, some tweets had been made by hacker(s) and that Twitter had resolved problem.

I congratulated USA Today, but wondered. Had USA Today been hacked without knowledge of Twitter? Why had Twitter not noticed act, since it seems to immediately note tweets by posters?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back