US youth fare poorly in child welfare survey

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by random3434, Sep 1, 2009.

1. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    US youth fare poorly in child welfare survey - Yahoo! News

I am a firm believer in early childhood education. More resources can only help the children that need it, and in return give them a head start when they do start school.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    We're broke ... plain and simple, we don't have money for anything right now. If we don't fix that first it will be worse than it is now.

3. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Yes, because weapons, cars and banks are more important than children.

4. Barb

Barb Carpe Scrotum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,586
    "...even though the United States spends more per child than better-performing countries such as Switzerland, Japan and the Netherlands, a new survey indicates."

5. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Regardless of past mistakes, that doesn't change the fact that we're broke. ;)

We can't spend money we don't have, that's what keeps making matters worse.

6. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Now that's a good point. We are still failing even though we spend a lot of money already. I missed that. I focused on the second part for some reason.

7. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    But we (the US) does spend money we don't have anyway, always have, be it a Democrat or Republican office. Why wouldn't you (well, not you because you hate people) but most of us want the money used to help our youth get off to a better start in life?

8. Barb

Barb Carpe Scrotum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,586
    Thanks. The linked article goes on to explain where the bulk of the money is spent, and that evening it out for early childhood education would be a wise investment. It makes sense. Everything; nutrition, education, the sense that the community cares about them, is most beneficial during the time their brain activity is at its peak. The formative years.

9. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Here are just two of the many studies done on what you just said Barb, thank you!

RAND | Monograph/Reports | Assessing Costs and Benefits of Early Childhood Intervention Programs: Overview and Applications to the Starting Early, Starting Smart Program

Hot Topic: A Benefit-Cost Analysis of the Abecedarian Early Childhood Intervention

10. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,051
    I agree with you. Our daughter learned to read before she started into Kindergarten. She attended Headstart, plus an Aunt taught her to read. It truly gave her a headstart. She went through most of her Junior High and High School years with a 4.0 average. She was offered several scholarships which she decided not to accept. I offered her my new cougar plus to pay for everything while she went to college if she would go to law school, she declined.

Son on the other hand had Dyslexia so his school years were opposite of daughter's school years.

Our society needs to have a better system in many places for teaching children the basics in many areas.

I learned everything my brother learned before I ever went to school. He is two years older than me. He would come home from school and show me everything he had learned in school. I was reading also when I entered kindergarten. When I started school it was in a one room schoolhouse where there were children up to 11th grade. 13 children in that school all different ages so the teacher had a one on one with each child. That was great. On warm days the teacher would let us go to the river and go swimming if everyone did their work and was well behaved.