US women's soccer player: My anthem protests are 'F you' to Trump administration

I can only link it to your disability, that is taking literally what is clearly sarcasm. I even left a hint, i.e. "ask a stupid question, and you get what you asked for".

Sorry your sarcasm doesn't translate well.

The point is there are few that will ever watch women's soccer until the Olympics and then the next world cup in four years.

I'm not so sure about that. I just attended a National Women's Soccer League game last week and they had a really good crowd. In a separate game the NC versus Portland game yesterday had a record breaking crowd. I'm willing to bet the game gets more popular by the next Olympics.

Soccer was going to overtake American football as the number one sport in America by 1990, then 2000, then 2015 and now 2025. Back then it trailed American football, baseball, basketball, NASCAR and hockey. Today it trails American football, baseball, basketball, NASCAR and hockey.

Women have a much longer road to travel. The fact that Portland has the attendance for a single game is not surprising, Portland has been a huge soccer town since the Timbers arrived in the mid 70's. It is still a long road and once in awhile it spikes and then it returns. Time will tell.

Soccer is 5th behind football, baseball, basketball and hockey. But it's one of the fastest growing youth sports in America in 4th place behind basketball, baseball, football (declining).

Top 10 Most Popular Sports in America 2019 (TV Ratings) - sportsshow.net

So it jumped over NASCAR since the 70's to number 5, not impressive for the fastest growing sport in the 70s. It might someday get the ratings and popularity, I am not confident it will.

As far as youth sports it is only behind basketball, it has been that way for a number of years.

It's only popular as a game for small children. As soon as kids are old enough to show athletic ability to any significant degree, they gravitate to real sports.

Sorry your sarcasm doesn't translate well.

The point is there are few that will ever watch women's soccer until the Olympics and then the next world cup in four years.

I'm not so sure about that. I just attended a National Women's Soccer League game last week and they had a really good crowd. In a separate game the NC versus Portland game yesterday had a record breaking crowd. I'm willing to bet the game gets more popular by the next Olympics.

Soccer was going to overtake American football as the number one sport in America by 1990, then 2000, then 2015 and now 2025. Back then it trailed American football, baseball, basketball, NASCAR and hockey. Today it trails American football, baseball, basketball, NASCAR and hockey.

Women have a much longer road to travel. The fact that Portland has the attendance for a single game is not surprising, Portland has been a huge soccer town since the Timbers arrived in the mid 70's. It is still a long road and once in awhile it spikes and then it returns. Time will tell.

Soccer is 5th behind football, baseball, basketball and hockey. But it's one of the fastest growing youth sports in America in 4th place behind basketball, baseball, football (declining).

Top 10 Most Popular Sports in America 2019 (TV Ratings) - sportsshow.net

So it jumped over NASCAR since the 70's to number 5, not impressive for the fastest growing sport in the 70s. It might someday get the ratings and popularity, I am not confident it will.

As far as youth sports it is only behind basketball, it has been that way for a number of years.

It's only popular as a game for small children. As soon as kids are old enough to show athletic ability to any significant degree, they gravitate to real sports.

I never understood why grown men riot over the sport. It just isn't that compelling. When I was in High School, we didn't have a soccer team. We did have football, and I played as a center and a guard.

Soccer has been pushed on us by the globalists. Its a world sport. American football is under attack as being to violent.

I actually find Mexican Wrestling to be more entertaining; they're politically incorrect and still exploit and abuse midgets and dwarves to great comic effect.

Soccer takes way too long between scorings to appeal to American tastes; it's not a fast enough moving game; the Great British Baking Show has more action and suspense than soccer.

I actually find Mexican Wrestling to be more entertaining; they're politically incorrect and still exploit and abuse midgets and dwarves to great comic effect.

America just doesn't have the number of midgets we had in the past, particularly midgets who are athletically inclined.

Back in the day, there were just a whole lot more so-called "little people'. Nowadays, they could never remake the Wizard of Oz as they could never find enough musically inclined midgets to serve as munchkins.

Soccer takes way too long between scorings to appeal to American tastes; it's not a fast enough moving game; the Great British Baking Show has more action and suspense than soccer.

I agree with you, that is why baseball is losing its appeal, too much time between scores. Americans desire faster, more scoring more action.

Indoor Soccer in arenas was supposed to resolve the slowness of the game, but the Major Indoor Soccer League really hasn't gained much traction as an attraction in America

Indoor Soccer in arenas was supposed to resolve the slowness of the game, but the Major Indoor Soccer League really hasn't gained much traction as an attraction in America

Indoor soccer was fun to play and fun to watch, it just didn’t seem to take off.

Considering the responses on this thread I can see that now. Soccer takes a ton of skill, endurance, agility, speed and intelligence to cope with the fluidity of the sport. If you just want instant gratification by watching a kickoff return (leading to 2 minutes commercials) or 10 guys putting a combined 200 points on the board then it's not for you.

I agree with you, that is why baseball is losing its appeal, too much time between scores. Americans desire faster, more scoring more action.

I loved playing baseball, I made All Star nearly ever year I played, and despite that I can't sit through even two innings of it before I either change the channel or get off my ass and go do something. Tickets to the pros are so ridiculously priced and the players so infantile I couldn't take my kids to games, so they developed other interests, like biking and martial arts. They liked playing football, too. They like a lot of the 'X Games' stuff better than the traditional sports as well.

Last edited:

Considering the responses on this thread I can see that now. Soccer takes a ton of skill, endurance, agility, speed and intelligence to cope with the fluidity of the sport. If you just want instant gratification by watching a kickoff return (leading to 2 minutes commercials) or 10 guys putting a combined 200 points on the board then it's not for you.

Yes. I do happen to like The Great British Baking Show in real life, so I wasn't just being sarcastic; It really does have more action and suspense than soccer. lol

Yes. I do happen to like The Great British Baking Show in real life, so I wasn't just being sarcastic; It really does have more action and suspense than soccer. lol

LOL It's all good. :)

Soccer is pretty well a queer commie sport anyhow so who gives a shit what those queers think?

I loved playing baseball, I made All Star nearly ever year I played, and despite that I can't sit through even two innings of it before I either change the channel or get off my ass and go do something. Tickets to the pros are so ridiculously priced and the players so infantile I couldn't take my kids to games, so they developed other interests, like biking and martial arts. They liked playing football, too. They like a lot of the 'X Games' stuff better than the traditional sports as well.

We have a minor league team that we go and watch. $5 gets you into the bleachers. I love to go see minor league hockey as well. Lots of action, small price, no prima donna’s, to early in their career for that. Love to ride bikes and I’m not into big egos.

We have a minor league team that we go and watch. $5 gets you into the bleachers. I love to go see minor league hockey as well. Lots of action, small price, no prima donna’s, to early in their career for that. Love to ride bikes and I’m not into big egos.

High school football and basketball are making a big comeback here; it's always been big in Texas, some high school coaches at 3aaa schools made big bucks in the 6 figure range and probably more under the table, but it's getting hyper-big now.

High school football and basketball are making a big comeback here; it's always been big in Texas, some high school coaches at 3aaa schools made big bucks in the 6 figure range and probably more under the table, but it's getting hyper-big now.

I can see that, I lived in Indiana for a few years, they have seven of the 10 largest high school gyms in the nation to watch basketball in. The first time I went to see a high school game their, it was sold out. I was stunned.

Forum List

Back