US Wins Soft Lumber Dispute With Canada

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
lumber-mill-3.jpg

I’ve been reading about this but didn’t really understand it until I came across this article.

The basics are that Trudeau’s government allows companys to remove trees from federal (Canadian) land at a discount so long as the timber is exported. That forces American lumber mills out of business because they can’t match Canadian prices.

[NOTE: This is the same issue with Steel and Aluminum from China]

As a consequence, in 2017 Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross instituted a 20% tariff on Canadian lumber to protect the U.S. lumber industry. The tariff is a countervailing duty to offset the Canadian subsidy. ie. “zeroing”.

So Canada “goes bananas” and sues the US at the World Trade Organization (WTO).

Oops.

However, in a departure from prior WTO opinion; and conceding to the obvious validity of the math while faced with a U.S. president who would not relent; the WTO agreed with President Trump, Secretary Ross and Ambassador Lighthizer and affirmed the 20% tariff as a valid countervailing duty.

The softwood lumber tariff was upheld by the WTO and Canada has lost its case.

More about this @ U.S. Wins Softwood Lumber Tariff Dispute -vs- Canada at WTO…

Good to see the WTO admitted the error of their ways on this.

lumber-mill-3.jpg

I’ve been reading about this but didn’t really understand it until I came across this article.

The basics are that Trudeau’s government allows companys to remove trees from federal (Canadian) land at a discount so long as the timber is exported. That forces American lumber mills out of business because they can’t match Canadian prices.

As a consequence, in 2017 Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross instituted a 20% tariff on Canadian lumber to protect the U.S. lumber industry. The tariff is a countervailing duty to offset the Canadian subsidy. ie. “zeroing”.

Oops.

However, in a departure from prior WTO opinion; and conceding to the obvious validity of the math while faced with a U.S. president who would not relent; the WTO agreed with President Trump, Secretary Ross and Ambassador Lighthizer and affirmed the 20% tariff as a valid countervailing duty.

So let me get this straight, Trump's letting this "ONE WORLD ORDER" WTO thing tell Canada what's they're allowed to do? Is he going to let the WTO tell the U.S. what we're allowed to do also?

It will be a beautify day for the hypocrisy check meter.

Actually, Canada took it to the WTO. I’m sure Trump could have cared less if they had said otherwise. But, it’s better if they did-

Instead of removing their federal lumber subsidy (which would have removed the tariff) the Canadian government, via Justin Trudeau, went bananas and sued the U.S. at the World Trade Organization (WTO). Trudeau was counting on prior disputes where the WTO did not side with the U.S. position on the calculations for industry “zeroing”.

lumber-mill-3.jpg

Oops.

So let me get this straight, Trump's letting this "ONE WORLD ORDER" WTO thing tell Canada what's they're allowed to do? Is he going to let the WTO tell the U.S. what we're allowed to do also?

Actually, Canada took it to the WTO. I’m sure Trump could have cared less if they had said otherwise. But, it’s better if they did-

Instead of removing their federal lumber subsidy (which would have removed the tariff) the Canadian government, via Justin Trudeau, went bananas and sued the U.S. at the World Trade Organization (WTO). Trudeau was counting on prior disputes where the WTO did not side with the U.S. position on the calculations for industry “zeroing”.

lumber-mill-3.jpg

Oops.

If I even look like I care when my wife asks her mother which one of us is right I'm lending legitimacy and subservience to her opinion.

Next time we're going to have to kow tow to the WTO or look like a bunch of hypocrites. Oh well, go 'merica.

lumber-mill-3.jpg

Oops.

Damn. That is a serious win, at a symbolic level at least.

We kow towed to nothing, thus why we were sued. If they had found otherwise, Trump still had imposed it, and had no plans to drop it. What don’t you get. The fact it was reported seems to upset you. Why?

lumber-mill-3.jpg

Oops.

If I even look like I care when my wife asks her mother which one of us is right I'm lending legitimacy and subservience to her opinion.

Next time we're going to have to kow tow to the WTO or look like a bunch of hypocrites. Oh well, go 'merica.

lumber-mill-3.jpg

Oops.

Your need to avoid the actual issue, of our "trade" partner fucking US, and Trump standing up for US,

is not surprise to anyone.

We kow towed to nothing, thus why we were sued. What don’t you get. The fact it was reported seems to upset you. Why?

lumber-mill-3.jpg

Oops.

They hate it, when America wins. Especially Trump's America.

lumber-mill-3.jpg

Oops.

That's like saying Obama is racist because the Black Panthers voted for him.

lumber-mill-3.jpg

Oops.

Your need to avoid the actual issue, of our "trade" partner fucking US, and Trump standing up for US,

Cool, Canada fucked us by doing whatever they do in Canada.

Go submit to the new world order of what countries are allowed to do.

lumber-mill-3.jpg

Oops.

That's like saying Obama is racist because the Black Panthers voted for him.

Just noticing we're thrilled about this WTO thing now and when Obama was president listening to the WTO was giving away our sovereignty.

lumber-mill-3.jpg

Oops.

we could upgrade that industry instead of using tariffs.

lumber-mill-3.jpg

Oops.

Cool, Canada fucked us by doing whatever they do in Canada.

Go submit to the new world order of what countries are allowed to do.

Nope. Canada fucked US, with trade policy designed to unfairly benefit Canadians at our expense.

Your siding with Canada on this, shows that you are ante-American.

Forum List

Back