US undermining UN's efforts with aid

Fmr jarhead

Aug 9, 2004
SoFLA
Bush 'Undermining UN with Aid Coalition'

By Jamie Lyons, PA Political Correspondent

United States President George Bush was tonight accused of trying to undermine the United Nations by setting up a rival coalition to coordinate relief following the Asian tsunami disaster.

The president has announced that the US, Japan, India and Australia would coordinate the world’s response.

But former International Development Secretary Clare Short said that role should be left to the UN.

“I think this initiative from America to set up four countries claiming to coordinate sounds like yet another attempt to undermine the UN when it is the best system we have got and the one that needs building up,” she said.

“Only really the UN can do that job,” she told BBC Radio Four’s PM programme.

“It is the only body that has the moral authority. But it can only do it well if it is backed up by the authority of the great powers.”

Ms Short said the coalition countries did not have good records on responding to international disasters.

She said the US was “very bad at coordinating with anyone” and India had its own problems to deal with.

“I don’t know what that is about but it sounds very much, I am afraid, like the US trying to have a separate operation and not work with the rest of the world through the UN system,” she added.

-------

As soon as I read about the four nation aid coalition set up by the US, I wondered how long it would be before America was accused of anti-UN activity. Let's see...it took about 24hrs. Anyone who would trust the UN with a large pool of unallocated aid money needs serious medication. The 42 percent of overall UN funding that comes from America and Japan would be better spent on developing media-seeking anti-bullshit bombs.

-------

:cuckoo:
Let me see....

We attempt to give aid through the UN to feed poor Iraqis under SH. Kofi Anan hires his son to steal the money, which he does with relish, and keeps some for himself.

The rest of the money was used to make SH ruch and to funnel to France and other countries who vote against the US after being bribed with money we gave for Oil for Food. Essentially paying our enemy for nothing.

Now the UN thinks we should give through the UN to feed people in another part of the world?! Fool me once shame on you, twice shame on me.

If we give any money through them again we are idiots. :scratch:

Uh....we don't have a good record responding to international disasters?!!!

The U.N. is the only one with the "moral authority" to see this through?!!!!

What an asshole plain and simple. I wish some of these U.N. people would move back to whatever planet they're from.Is she related to the guy from the other day?

:dev3: is what I say to her!!! SHe can't do anything about it!!

Maybe if it turns into some good old competition as to who can do better (capitalism) the victims will get more help,better help and faster help ! THEY will be the real winners.

Just out of curiousity, how much did the world community donate to the recovery effort for the victims of the 2004 hurricanes that affected much of our southeastern coast? (I searched the UN's site, and I could not find reference to $0.01 they, or any other country gave to help.....)

Not that we need anyone's help (nor want it for that matter) but hey certainly seem to have their palms to the sky whenever we walk in the room!

:321: Let's give the UN the salute they deserve!

My question is What UN efforts with aid?

Its the US giving the aid for the most part. And while we have some money coming from other nations the UN has shown no reason why we should trust them with such Aid responsibilities.

Everyday the UN makes itself more and more irrelevant.

rtwngAvngr said:
You all know my motto: "Fuck the U.N."
...with a jackhammer up the butt

What's this... two for two? If the UN spent half as much time helping people as it did accusing the US of being stingy and undermining their non-existant aid effort or ripping off the downtrodden in the world.... maybe some lives would be saved

Waaah!!!!! Mommy!!!!... Mommy!!! Make the mean ol' US stop!!!!!

Jeez Louise ..... have you ever seen a bigger bunch of cry babies that weren't campaigning for the presidency?!?!?!

My question is What UN efforts with aid?

Its the US giving the aid for the most part. And while we have some money coming from other nations the UN has shown no reason why we should trust them with such Aid responsibilities.

Everyday the UN makes itself more and more irrelevant.

Bingo!!! It didn't occur to me before I read your post,but I'll bet Bush doesn't trust those cheating s.o.b.'s with our money!!!! Good for him!

KarlMarx said:
...with a jackhammer up the butt

What's this... two for two? If the UN spent half as much time helping people as it did accusing the US of being stingy and undermining their non-existant aid effort or ripping off the downtrodden in the world.... maybe some lives would be saved

Waaah!!!!! Mommy!!!!... Mommy!!! Make the mean ol' US stop!!!!!

Jeez Louise ..... have you ever seen a bigger bunch of cry babies that weren't campaigning for the presidency?!?!?!

All libs are crybabies, filled with envy and hatred for the people who really make things happen in the world.

heinous beyond belief this UN bullshit is... from our own diplomats who know the UN inside and out from years of putting up with their incompetence and corruption

Believe me, there is no massive UN effort underway. There is a lot of UN blah-blah, but that's it.

Notice in citation #2 above that when Egeland talks about "an enormous relief effort is on its way" he really means the UN has begun to send bureaucrats out to affected areas to file reports. Also note citation #3: children are dying all over the place and where does UNICEF want to spend its, I mean, your money? On psycho-babble training of teachers -- teachers who probably are knee-deep in mud and water right now.

Ironically the UN effort is best summed up by the "outspoken" Mr. Egeland, who in an unguarded moment in New York revealed the truth: "We are doing very little at the moment."

Meanwhile, Americans are funding local Red Cross/Red Crescent organizations, organizing truck convoys to break up the supply bottlenecks at airports and seaports, loading barges with rice and biscuits, flying in a steady stream of C-130s, and steaming in aircraft carrier battlegroups (diverted from other tasks vital to our national security) laden with mobile hospitals, supplies of every imaginable type and critically needed helicopters. Local AmCham chapters are putting together huge donation drives and "greedy' American multinationals are donating expensive heavy earth moving equipment, generators, and fuel to help Asia's victims -- China has done nothing, by the way.

Those "stingy" Americans, when will they ever stop thinking about themselves and give . . .
www.diplomadic.blogspot.com

rtwngAvngr said:
All libs are crybabies, filled with envy and hatred for the people who really make things happen in the world.
Well.... there goes my blood pressure again!!!!!!!

They're probably mad because they won't be able to find a way to rip this humanitarian effort off to the hilt like they did the last time.....

KarlMarx said:
Well.... there goes my blood pressure again!!!!!!!

They're probably mad because they won't be able to find a way to rip this humanitarian effort off to the hilt like they did the last time.....

Go get em again,Karl!!!! :thewave:

I say fuck it, let's undermine the UN's effort.. they're not doing shit anyway.

Our coalition of affected nations and assisting nations can handle this with partnerships with NGO's. The UN will just waste money and cost lives and futures.

Forum List

Back