US Troops May Face Court-Martial For Soliciting Prostitutes

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
A "small" victory in the war on human trafficking, because a significant number of the girls sailors, airmen and soliders purchase services from in Japan and South Korea are traffick victims.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...040921/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/military_prostitutes

Troops May Be Tried for Using Prostitutes

Tue Sep 21, 5:59 PM ET Add White House - AP Cabinet & State to My Yahoo!

By PAULINE JELINEK, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - U.S. troops stationed overseas could face a court martial for patronizing prostitutes under a new regulation drafted by the Pentagon (news - web sites).

The move is part of a Defense Department effort to lessen the possibility that troops will contribute to human trafficking in areas near their overseas bases by seeking the services of women forced into prostitution.

In recent years, "women and girls are being forced into prostitution for a clientele consisting largely of military services members, government contractors and international peacekeepers" in places like South Korea (news - web sites) and the Balkans, Rep. Christopher Smith (news, bio, voting record), R-N.J., said Tuesday at a Capitol Hill forum on Pentagon anti-trafficking efforts.

Defense officials have drafted an amendment to the manual on courts martial that would make it an offense for U.S. troops to use the services of prostitutes, said Charles Abell, a Pentagon undersecretary for personnel and readiness.

If approved, that would make it a military offense under the Uniform Code of Military Justice to have contact with a prostitute, Lt. Col. Ellen Krenke, an Abell spokeswoman said later. The draft rule is open to 60 days public comment after being published in the Federal Register, she said.

Officials also are developing a training program for troops and contractors, to be distributed in November. The program will explain trafficking, department policy on it and possible legal action against violators, Abell said in a written statement.

Additionally, the military is reviewing regulations and procedures for placing off-limits those businesses where such activities take place and working with Justice Department (news - web sites) officials to tighten rules on contractor misconduct.

Gen. Leon J. LaPorte, commander of the 37,000 U.S. troops in South Korea, said another initiative started on the peninsula has been to "make on-base military life a more desirable experience, and attempt to diminish the seductive appeal of many of the less wholesome off-duty pursuits."

That effort includes offering expanded evening and weekend education programs, band concerts, late-night sports leagues and expanded chaplains' activities.

All new arrivals to duty in Korea are given prostitution and human trafficking awareness and the military is working with Korean law enforcement agencies, he said.

"In spite of all these efforts, we know that there are still some U.S. service members, Department of Defense (news - web sites) civilians and contractor personnel who may continue to contact prostitutes and, thereby, be construed as supporting human trafficking," LaPorte said.

NATO (news - web sites) officials in July outlined new guidelines adopted to ensure alliance peacekeepers do not encourage sex trafficking gangs by seeking the services of women forced into prostitution.

The rules follows accusations from human rights groups that NATO peacekeepers and civilian staff working for international organizations had fueled the growth of sexual slavery in the Balkans.

NATO AIR said:
A "small" victory in the war on human trafficking, because a significant number of the girls sailors, airmen and soliders purchase services from in Japan and South Korea are traffick victims.

Can consenting adults have sex ? Seems lots of ways around this mandate

As much of a libertarian as I am, I think this is a good move. Not only will it reduce trafficking of women in war zones (which is not far removed from slavery), it will hopefully reduce the number of Joes with STDs.

gop_jeff said:
Just because it's legal doesn't mean that a) it's morally right, or b) that the women haven't been trafficked there.

I guess the words of the law suggest 'illegal' prostitution to me...

The hardest part for police and government authorities to figure out is whether or not a girl/woman has been trafficked. In my personal experiences here in this part of the world, I have met Russian girls who were promised jobs in America for a pretty steep "travel" fee, then found themselves in South Korea or Japan and forced at gunpoint to surrender their passports. Even worse are the Indian and Cambodian girls here in Japan especially, who are sold by their families or neighbors for money. What happens to them between being sold and servicing regular Joes (whether they be soldiers, regular citizens, etc etc) is a near uniform story of horror. They are gang raped repeatedly, treated like subhuman life forms and "molded" into submissive whores by handlers, usually older women. Between making them dependent on illicit drugs or painkillers (or both) and barbaric acts of duplicity (beat you one day, feed you the next),their souls are crushed and they become perfect whores for pimps to make money off of.

Especially in Japan, there is no excuse for a military man to be partaking in prostitution. There are WAY TOO MANY Japanese girls/women who would love to date an American guy, and treat them like royalty.

NATO AIR said:
The hardest part for police and government authorities to figure out is whether or not a girl/woman has been trafficked. In my personal experiences here in this part of the world, I have met Russian girls who were promised jobs in America for a pretty steep "travel" fee, then found themselves in South Korea or Japan and forced at gunpoint to surrender their passports. Even worse are the Indian and Cambodian girls here in Japan especially, who are sold by their families or neighbors for money. What happens to them between being sold and servicing regular Joes (whether they be soldiers, regular citizens, etc etc) is a near uniform story of horror. They are gang raped repeatedly, treated like subhuman life forms and "molded" into submissive whores by handlers, usually older women. Between making them dependent on illicit drugs or painkillers (or both) and barbaric acts of duplicity (beat you one day, feed you the next),their souls are crushed and they become perfect whores for pimps to make money off of.

Especially in Japan, there is no excuse for a military man to be partaking in prostitution. There are WAY TOO MANY Japanese girls/women who would love to date an American guy, and treat them like royalty.

What happens to these women is truely horrific and unfortunate, but it seems to me penalizing our troops for the illegal activity of others isn't right.

But in the case of a G.I. "paying and engaging in sex with a known prostitute, and it's ILLEGAL, where ever that is", then I think they SHOULD get busted for that.

i hope that they will not be "gunning" for US forces here in Japan or South Korea. However, what this really means is that NCO's (both junior and senior) are going to need to cross a leadership threshold. It may seem uncomfortable for some, but WE have to make sure our guys know the rules and know the consequences, as well as the backstory of what traffick victims go through.
We just talked about this and my e-8 (senior chief for me) put it this way:
"it comes down to "y'all don't know the full story of the girl, so don't get involved. the money you pay for her could be supporting the 21st century slavery or even worse, some Asian terrorist group with ties to criminal organizations."
"now go out to yokohama and meet you a single japanese girl!"

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
This is another plain case of the authorities either lacking the willpower or authority to go after the initial perpetrator. It's the same ideology that was applied in the failed war on drugs. Go after the user to reduce or eliminate demand. It will always fail.

DKSuddeth said:
This is another plain case of the authorities either lacking the willpower or authority to go after the initial perpetrator. It's the same ideology that was applied in the failed war on drugs. Go after the user to reduce or eliminate demand. It will always fail.

I agree. Also, as long as there are those who are willing to look the other way, crime in all its various forms will be with us.

well, when the world wakes up and realizes a good amount of organized crime is in bed with dicators and terrorists and starts treating organized crime of this magnitude in the ruthless and efficient manner they so richly deserve, we might see progress on taking the war to the source.

NATO AIR said:
well, when the world wakes up and realizes a good amount of organized crime is in bed with dicators and terrorists and starts treating organized crime of this magnitude in the ruthless and efficient manner they so richly deserve, we might see progress on taking the war to the source.

We'll need to put a muzzle on the mouth's of the spineless, enabling, dough headed liberals of the world before that day will ever come.

thanks a lot mr.p

here's a tip i got from an airman when I had to drive to Yokota AFB today to pick up a few sailors reporting aboard for the first time in Japan. (we were out smoking, shooting the breeze while waiting for all these folks baggage to show up)

"you can almost tell who's trafficked and who is not. The girls who are professionals, they REQUIRE a condom. They take good care of their moneymaker (their body). The girls who are traffic victims, they're pretty just as the pros, but their body shows tell-tale signs of neglect and abuse (nails, cleanliness, body odor, etc etc) and they are not allowed by their pimps to demand a condom before the act. These girls are slaves, and slaves are thrown away when no longer needed for prettier, healthier and younger slaves."

i just wish we could do something more for these poor girls.

if we could put that out to the forces over here in Asia and Europe, maybe we could keep some boys out of trouble.

NATO AIR said:
thanks a lot mr.p

here's a tip i got from an airman when I had to drive to Yokota AFB today to pick up a few sailors reporting aboard for the first time in Japan. (we were out smoking, shooting the breeze while waiting for all these folks baggage to show up)

"you can almost tell who's trafficked and who is not. The girls who are professionals, they REQUIRE a condom. They take good care of their moneymaker (their body). The girls who are traffic victims, they're pretty just as the pros, but their body shows tell-tale signs of neglect and abuse (nails, cleanliness, body odor, etc etc) and they are not allowed by their pimps to demand a condom before the act. These girls are slaves, and slaves are thrown away when no longer needed for prettier, healthier and younger slaves."

i just wish we could do something more for these poor girls.

if we could put that out to the forces over here in Asia and Europe, maybe we could keep some boys out of trouble.

You're welcome, Nato..

If you can find a way around all the red tape,
I hope you can find a way to us it.
Be sure to check the copyright stuff first.

Forum List

Back