US trade gap falls 15 percent to $51.1 billion in January

Yes, I got that.

Now explain how you "know" that a significant number of Americans cannot afford something they wanted, because of it.

(note that i am generously NOT making a point about you proving any increase in price)

Do you have any idea how trade works?

I'm no expert.

Now., support your conclusion, or admit it was just an assumption you made, so that you could play a little game of "attack Trump".

No kidding.

I'll explain it to you:

ACME imports a few thousand widgets from China in November. They sell it to retailers or another wholesaler. They paid up front for the widgets and sold them at a mark-up so they made money on the deal.

ACME imports a few thousand widgets from China in December. They sell it to retailers or another wholesaler. They paid up front for the widgets and sold them at a mark-up so they made money on the deal.

Tariffs are imposed on January 1.

ACME is given a new price for those widgets and decides they can't afford to import them from China. They would have to increase their price to the retailers or another wholesaler. So they keep the money in their pocket.

If they could still make money at the new price, they would. They made a business decision that they cannot. Hence we are not importing as much any longer.

Got it. I accept that this might have happened.

Now demonstrate that any significant number of consumers, was unable to buy the shit they wanted, due to this unspecified price increase.

Apparently, you don't "got it".

As wholesale costs rise, it would be most illogical (or "stupid" if you prefer to label yourself that way) to assume retail prices are not going to follow.

At any rate, the American importers can no longer afford the items they were buying (and making a profit on) from China due to tariffs.

YOur claim was that American CONSUMERS could not afford the stuff they wanted.

An American importer, POSSIBLY, having to find other sources, or God Forbid, possibly having to use AMERICAN sources, supporting AMERICAN JOBS,

does not support your conclusion that a significant number of American consumers are suffering real harm, in not being able to get the products they wanted.

Yes, I got that.

Now explain how you "know" that a significant number of Americans cannot afford something they wanted, because of it.

(note that i am generously NOT making a point about you proving any increase in price)

I'm no expert.

Now., support your conclusion, or admit it was just an assumption you made, so that you could play a little game of "attack Trump".

No kidding.

I'll explain it to you:

ACME imports a few thousand widgets from China in November. They sell it to retailers or another wholesaler. They paid up front for the widgets and sold them at a mark-up so they made money on the deal.

ACME imports a few thousand widgets from China in December. They sell it to retailers or another wholesaler. They paid up front for the widgets and sold them at a mark-up so they made money on the deal.

ACME is given a new price for those widgets and decides they can't afford to import them from China. They would have to increase their price to the retailers or another wholesaler. So they keep the money in their pocket.

If they could still make money at the new price, they would. They made a business decision that they cannot. Hence we are not importing as much any longer.

Now demonstrate that any significant number of consumers, was unable to buy the shit they wanted, due to this unspecified price increase.

As wholesale costs rise, it would be most illogical (or "stupid" if you prefer to label yourself that way) to assume retail prices are not going to follow.

At any rate, the American importers can no longer afford the items they were buying (and making a profit on) from China due to tariffs.
Apparently, you don’t get it.

Price increases are the result of tariffs.

Yes, I got that.

I'm no expert.

No kidding.

I'll explain it to you:

Starter homes are in short supply in the US and that is to some extent the result of wealthy, mostly Chinese, aliens gaming US immigration by buying houses in the US to get legal residence and eventually citizenship. Unless they screw up by committing a felony before they get to naturalization they are cool.

I'm no expert.

No kidding.

I'll explain it to you:

An American importer, POSSIBLY, having to find other sources, or God Forbid, possibly having to use AMERICAN sources, supporting AMERICAN JOBS,

does not support your conclusion that a significant number of American consumers are suffering real harm, in not being able to get the products they wanted.

Quote where I said "consumers".

Yes, I got that.

I'm no expert.

No kidding.

I'll explain it to you:

Starter homes are in short supply in the US and that is to some extent the result of wealthy, mostly Chinese, aliens gaming US immigration by buying houses in the US to get legal residence and eventually citizenship. Unless they screw up by committing a felony before they get to naturalization they are cool.

That is not even close to the position candycorn is arguing.

I'm no expert.

No kidding.

I'll explain it to you:

The goal of American national policy should be to benefit the interests of the nation of Americans.

When you started discussing the impact of national American policy, I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you were concerned about the interests of Americans as a whole.

American IMPORTERS have been doing fine over the last couple of generations while American workers have been fucked up the ass.

IF your concern was not for the Americans who have been getting fucked up the ass for the last couple of generations, but instead for some of those doing the fucking,

Then your focus is in the wrong place.

No kidding.

I'll explain it to you:

The goal of American national policy should be to benefit the interests of the nation of Americans.

When you started discussing the impact of national American policy, I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you were concerned about the interests of Americans as a whole.

American IMPORTERS have been doing fine over the last couple of generations while American workers have been fucked up the ass.

IF your concern was not for the Americans who have been getting fucked up the ass for the last couple of generations, but instead for some of those doing the fucking,

Translation...you mis-quoted me.

Wholesale costs are always passed on to the consumer unless there is some other market force at work. I know you Trump fluffers don't do nuance or can think past the next 30 seconds but if the importer who has been importing widgets for decades has stopped importing them because of the 25% tariff, it is because she/he cannot pass on a 25% mark up to the consumer. If you're talking I-phones or the new hot toy for Christmas, that may be one thing. If you're talking about light bulbs, that is something else.

Put another way, if the deal can get done, the deal usually does. If the deal isn't getting done, the it is usually not favorable for the seller or the buyer; it almost always isn't a decision based on anything other than the profit or loss.

My suspicion is that a lot of importers are probably hoping the election in 2020 solves this problem and they can go back to making a buck once we remove the fucking idiot has been flushed down the toilet of history.

I'll leave the "fucking up the ass" fantasies you have between you and Mr. Trump.

Wholesale costs are always passed on to the consumer unless there is some other market force at work. I know you Trump fluffers don't do nuance or can think past the next 30 seconds but if the importer who has been importing widgets for decades has stopped importing them because of the 25% tariff, it is because she/he cannot pass on a 25% mark up to the consumer. If you're talking I-phones or the new hot toy for Christmas, that may be one thing. If you're talking about light bulbs, that is something else.

Put another way, if the deal can get done, the deal usually does. If the deal isn't getting done, the it is usually not favorable for the seller or the buyer; it almost always isn't a decision based on anything other than the profit or loss.

My suspicion is that a lot of importers are probably hoping the election in 2020 solves this problem and they can go back to making a buck once we remove the fucking idiot has been flushed down the toilet of history.

I'll leave the "fucking up the ass" fantasies you have between you and Mr. Trump.

"Fantasies"? Are you really unaware of the suffering this status quo that you love so much, has been inflicting on American workers?

"Fantasies"? Are you really unaware of the suffering this status quo that you love so much, has been inflicting on American workers?

You can thank the decline of labor unions for the flat wages and almost zero bargaining power of workers.

You can thank the decline of labor unions for the flat wages and almost zero bargaining power of workers.

Yep.

American workers have no leverage when their work can be replaced, and has been so much, by those importers you are sooooooooo concerned about.

(among other reasons)

IMO, we should do something about that situation. Which is one of the prime reasons I voted for Trump.

Yep.

American workers have no leverage when their work can be replaced, and has been so much, by those importers you are sooooooooo concerned about.

(among other reasons)

IMO, we should do something about that situation. Which is one of the prime reasons I voted for Trump.

Reducing imports hurts the longshoremen, truck drivers, import agents, transfer agents, the profits of train operators, etc...

If you're interested in strengthening the hand of labor, unions are the best way to do it. If you're interested in strengthening the hand of management, removing regulations and applying tariffs are the ways to do it.

Yep.

(among other reasons)

Reducing imports hurts the longshoremen, truck drivers, import agents, transfer agents, the profits of train operators, etc...

If you're interested in strengthening the hand of labor, unions are the best way to do it. If you're interested in strengthening the hand of management, removing regulations and applying tariffs are the ways to do it.

Reducing imports helps far more Americans than it hurts.

Unions could help in this, if they were not co-opted by democrat party operatives.

Yep.

(among other reasons)

Unions could help in this, if they were not co-opted by democrat party operatives.

:laughing0301:

Yep.

(among other reasons)

:laughing0301:

Your inability to support your position is accepted as an admission of defeat.

Forum List

Back