US to help plan 'Durban II' UN racism conference

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
The Obama administration said late Saturday it would participate in planning for a UN conference on racism dubbed 'Durban II' despite concerns the meeting will be used by Arab nations and others to demonize Israel.

The US will decide later whether to participate in the conference.

The State Department said it would send diplomats next week to participate in preparatory meetings for the World Conference Against Racism, which is set to be held in Geneva, Switzerland in April and which some countries including Israel have already decided to boycott.

During the Bush administration the United States and Israel walked out the first UN conference on racism in Durban, South Africa in 2001 over efforts to pass a resolution comparing Zionism - the movement to establish and maintain a Jewish state - to racism.

US to help plan 'Durban II' UN racism conference | International | Jerusalem Post

The Obama administration said late Saturday it would participate in planning for a UN conference on racism dubbed 'Durban II' despite concerns the meeting will be used by Arab nations and others to demonize Israel.

The State Department said it would send diplomats next week to participate in preparatory meetings for the World Conference Against Racism, which is set to be held in Geneva, Switzerland in April and which some countries including Israel have already decided to boycott.

During the Bush administration the United States and Israel walked out the first UN conference on racism in Durban, South Africa in 2001 over efforts to pass a resolution comparing Zionism - the movement to establish and maintain a Jewish state - to racism.

US to help plan 'Durban II' UN racism conference | International | Jerusalem Post

Maybe Obama can send one of his pastors to the conference.

Maybe Obama can send one of his pastors to the conference.[/QUOTE

Here's a fuller explanation of the US position.

In a statement released late Saturday, the State Department said the US delegation to the planning discussions would review "current direction of conference preparations and whether US participation in the conference itself is warranted."

"This will be the first opportunity the (Obama) administration has had to engage in the negotiations for the Durban Review, and - in line with our commitment to diplomacy - the US has decided to send a delegation to engage in the negotiations on the text of the conference document," the department said.

"The intent of our participation is to work to try to change the direction in which the review conference is heading," it said. "We hope to work with other countries that want the Conference to responsibly and productively address racism around the world."

The statement stressed that US attendance at the planning meetings "does not indicate - and should not be misconstrued to indicate - that the United States will participate in April in the World Conference Against Racism itself."

"Nor does it indicate that we will necessarily participate in future preparations for the conference," it said. "These decisions will be taken at a later date, depending on the results that we see from the negotiating process."
US to help plan 'Durban 2' conference | International | Jerusalem Post

Last edited:

In a statement released late Saturday, the State Department said the US delegation to the planning discussions would review "current direction of conference preparations and whether US participation in the conference itself is warranted."

"This will be the first opportunity the (Obama) administration has had to engage in the negotiations for the Durban Review, and - in line with our commitment to diplomacy - the US has decided to send a delegation to engage in the negotiations on the text of the conference document," the department said.

"The intent of our participation is to work to try to change the direction in which the review conference is heading," it said. "We hope to work with other countries that want the Conference to responsibly and productively address racism around the world."

The statement stressed that US attendance at the planning meetings "does not indicate - and should not be misconstrued to indicate - that the United States will participate in April in the World Conference Against Racism itself."

"Nor does it indicate that we will necessarily participate in future preparations for the conference," it said. "These decisions will be taken at a later date, depending on the results that we see from the negotiating process."

They'll ask Israel first.

They'll ask Israel first.

I think they'll discuss it with Israel and with Canada and some European countries that are uneasy about the conference, but it isn't clear Obama will take a more multilateral approach that Bush did.

The conference will end badly, and I predict that it will condemn Israel over and over again.

That is probably why the US will not participate.

In his first book, Obama talks frankly about racism, including anti semitism, among black people in Chicago, and what was interesting was his analysis of it was not about whether it was right or wrong but about whether it was useful to his work as a community organizer, and he decided it wasn't, but he continued to work with people he considered racists and anti semites when he found it to be useful.

Similarly, in this book he tells us about how his long relationship with Jeremiah Wright began. Obama acknowledges that he had not had strong religious feelings but used to attend religious services at various black churches because he needed the help of religious leaders in order to get support for his community organizing efforts, and when he heard Wright preach about hope despite the long history of oppression, it brought tears to his eyes because he realized this was the message he needed to bring to his community organizing work and he needed to do it as powerfully as Wright had done. So he continued to attend Wright's services and took his children to hear Wright's services despite the clear message of racism and anti Americanism in Wright's sermons because he found the final message delivered to be useful.

Based on what he wrote in this book and his long relationship with Wright, I believe Obama finds nothing offensive in anti semitism and will decide whether the US should participate in a hate fest at Durban II based on whether he thinks participating will advance his agenda in the ME and whether he thinks the US public would accept the US sitting there while Iran and others demand the destruction of Israel and present variations of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

With regard to this conference, imo, if Obama can persuade the American people that the anti semitism espoused by most of the Muslim world should not be taken too seriously because their suspicions of Christians and Jews are understandable because of European colonialism, the struggle to preserve their identity while they move into a world designed by non Muslims, etc., - essentially the argument he first advanced to try to excuse Wright's racism and anti Americanism - the US will be willing to sit and listen to anti semitic statements that would make Hitler blush, but if Obama believes such action will cost him too much political capital, the US will not attend without assurances that it will not be a hate Jews festival as the first Durban was and that if the conference is hijacked by Iran and others, the US will walk out.

Imo, Israel has reason to be both worried and comforted by the kind of unprincipled pragmatism Obama embraced before he became President.

With as many threads that toomuchtime_ posts on this forum demonizing arabs it's a gut busting knee slapper that he'd cry about American participation in something that paranoia tells him might demonize israel. For real, dude. if you are worried about the reputation of israel then perhaps you should spend less time making excuses for killing civilian non-jews and more time discovering that jews are not the only ethnicity in the world that counts.

With as many threads that toomuchtime_ posts on this forum demonizing arabs it's a gut busting knee slapper that he'd cry about American participation in something that paranoia tells him might demonize israel. For real, dude. if you are worried about the reputation of israel then perhaps you should spend less time making excuses for killing civilian non-jews and more time discovering that jews are not the only ethnicity in the world that counts.

Or he and David among a good number of this board should just finally admit they are more loyal to Israel and her interests then America and her interests.

Ghook and David are the only cowards to admit they put Israel first already but neither would go serve in the IDF. They want America to go and fight Israel's battles. Even if it was not in the best interest of America.

Last edited:
With as many threads that toomuchtime_ posts on this forum demonizing arabs it's a gut busting knee slapper that he'd cry about American participation in something that paranoia tells him might demonize israel.
I wonder if Gunny will lump all of Toomuchtime's threads all together like he did mine.

I doubt will happen.

His threads are pro Israel and Jew.

Call it what it is! The last acceptable hatred - Anti-semitism. Hate Jews now and forever!

Another bad foreign policy decision by Obama!

The conference will end badly, and I predict that it will condemn Israel over and over again.

It didn't just condemn Israel it took it to steps that haven't been seen since WW II. It took off the PC mask of anti-semitism, which is anti-zionism and flaunted their anti-semitism with no restraints! Funny how a highly racist (ironically against whites) country like South Africa has the balls to condemn anyone! Apartheid like regime is alive and well in SA, except its the Blacks suppressing the Whites. :eek:

Ghook and David are the only cowards to admit they put Israel first already but neither would go serve in the IDF. They want America to go and fight Israel's battles. Even if it was not in the best interest of America.
You lying piece of shit. First, I have never said anything even close to that. Second, I see myself as American and ONLY American! Third, I could be offered millions of dollars to live in any other country, including Israel, but I would turn it down, because American is my only country. Fourth, I stated my support of a Palestinian State. Fifth, do I sympathize for Israel, obviously, but would I fight and die for her. NO! There is only one country that I would fight and die for and it has a flag of 50 stars and 13 strips. Sixth, I have stated that Israel's biggest challenge that its going to have to do is figure out how to confront the settlers! Sharon was the only strong leader that was able to do it to date. Seventh, I was born Jewish, but I don't subscribe to any religion, since I an agnostic!

Lastly go fuck yourself!:eusa_angel:

With as many threads that toomuchtime_ posts on this forum demonizing arabs it's a gut busting knee slapper that he'd cry about American participation in something that paranoia tells him might demonize israel.
I wonder if Gunny will lump all of Toomuchtime's threads all together like he did mine.

I doubt will happen.

His threads are pro Israel and Jew.

His aren't racist propaganda worthy of storm front, such as yours! That said, I didn't agree with the decision to lump them all together.

You lying piece of shit. First, I have never said anything even close to that. Second, I see myself as American and ONLY American! Third, I could be offered millions of dollars to live in any other country, including Israel, but I would turn it down, because American is my only country. Fourth, I stated my support of a Palestinian State. Fifth, do I sympathize for Israel, obviously, but would I fight and die for her. NO! There is only one country that I would fight and die for and it has a flag of 50 stars and 13 strips. Sixth, I have stated that Israel's biggest challenge that its going to have to do is figure out how to confront the settlers! Sharon was the only strong leader that was able to do it to date. Seventh, I was born Jewish, but I don't subscribe to any religion, since I an agnostic!

That rant was so much bullshit just now that you had it coming out your ears.

That rant was so much bullshit just now that you had it coming out your ears.
Mikey you would know what shit smells like for it's all over you. :lol:

I have only heard DavidS say that his patroitism is for Israel first and American second.

GHook93 has always been an America First guy.

Perhaps I was wrong but I do remember GHook agreeing with David on said topic back at the beginning of January.

Though I find it ironic how quickly Ghook93 is so quick to fall in line to say how right you are Sunni when the rest of the time he considers you a lying POS. :lol:

New Topics

Forum List

Back