US study: IDF didn't violate laws of war

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
WASHINGTON – Israel did not violate the laws of war during its recent Gaza operation, a new US study says, while praising the IDF's "impressive improvements" since the war against Hizbullah in 2006.

Israel "deliberately used decisive force to enhance regional deterrence and demonstrate that it had restored its military edge," wrote Anthony H. Cordesman of the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "These, however, are legitimate military objectives in spite of their very real humanitarian costs."

The study notes that "political efforts to manipulate the laws of war and humanitarian considerations have become a key weapon in asymmetric warfare, and are often used as a basis for propaganda and gaining political leverage in this type of conflict."

"Real suffering is translated into exaggerated charges and numbers that cannot be validated by reliable data or methodology," the study says. "In practice, even if Israel had agreed to all of the conventions involved, they are severely limited and often difficult or impossible to apply to the realities of war — even one fought with restraint and a focus on military targets."

'Noting new about such tactics'
Cordesman notes that "Some buildings like schools merit special consideration, but only require review to determine whether they are really military targets. Hospitals require warning but are not protected if used by an enemy."

"White phosphorous can be used against military but not civilian targets," he adds, noting that "such laws and conventions do not bind or restrain non-state actors like Hamas in any meaningful way."

"The end result is a situation where one side can potentially be limited by international law where the other is not, and that effectively makes international law a potential weapon for the side that rejects and exploits it," the study says. "It is also a situation that empowers and incentivizes extremists to use civilians as the equivalent of human shields by embedding their forces in civilian populations and areas, and using sensitive buildings like mosques and schools or collocating near them. There is nothing new about such tactics."

US study: IDF didn't violate laws of war - Israel News, Ynetnews

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Originally posted by toomuchtime
Israel did not violate the laws of war during its recent Gaza operation, a new US study says, while praising the IDF's "impressive improvements" since the war against Hizbullah in 2006.

As if a racist dictatorship had any "right" to wage war against the natives of the land it keeps herded in ethnic enclaves.

As if its only "right" were not the right to be peacefully dismantled and replaced by civic states.

The moral depravity displayed by 99% of this Board is quite simply beyond belief.

I have seen whores out on the streets that have more compassion and sense of decency than you. You all make me puke.

The CSIS Middle East Program covers all aspects of U.S. policy toward the region, concentrating especially on identifying new voices, framing emerging challenges, and developing opportunities for positive change in the Middle East. To the greatest degree possible, we seek to be "opportunity driven" rather than "threat driven."

Our work is intended to:

1. Identify and understand the drivers of social and political change in the Middle East, concentrating on relatively poorly understood issues such as information and communications technologies, demographics, and the regional media.
2. Create partnerships between academics and policy professionals in the United States, Europe, and the Middle East to frame and address questions in such a way as to promote the creation of new, constructive, and innovative solutions to problems.
3. Focus on activities that add value, follow from CSIS's regional and functional strengths, build on its comparative advantages over other think tanks and government efforts, and extend CSIS's core competencies.

In addition, the Middle East Program pursues an active, "traditional" think tank agenda of concentrating on key states (Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iran) and key conflicts (Arab-Israeli, U.S.-Iranian, U.S.-Iraqi), holding periodic meetings and seminars, appearing on leading national and international news outlets, and publishing in both the academic and popular press.

Middle East Program

:lol:

Hey, GUY, why don't you tell us what kind of an expert on race relations Niggermania.com is next!

good grief.

"new US study" my ass. We know what kind of "opportunities" you are looking to validate.

Last edited:
I wonder if the report mentions that israel is an occupying force... their mere presence there is a violation of international law.

of course laws of war are inapplicable in the case of Gaza. It is not a war. it is the attempted violent suppression of those rejecting occupation.

I wonder if the report mentions that israel is an occupying force... their mere presence there is a violation of international law.
That would be 100% wrong.

The arabs never accepted the UN partition, thus have no standing in law, 'occupying force' is an old arafat propaganda phrase from the 70s.

Until Palestinains accept the partition they cannot claim israel is 'occupying them' as they don't leagally exist, the territory was transferred from Egypt to israel after the 1967 war, in the case of gaza and Jordan in the case of the West Bank.

So please, spare us talk of 'international law.'

Oh they fucking exist... Hell, did holocaust jews NOT EXIST because they were, by that point, nationless under "legal" terms? Fuck no. And it's beyond pathetic that you silly bastards would even TRY to rationalize the continued disenfranchisement of these people despite the historic fact of how israel was created. You might as well insist that they don't count because they don't wear shoes or have a latin based written alphabet.

Oh they fucking exist... Hell, did holocaust jews NOT EXIST because they were, by that point, nationless under "legal" terms? Fuck no. And it's beyond pathetic that you silly bastards would even TRY to rationalize the continued disenfranchisement of these people despite the historic fact of how israel was created. You might as well insist that they don't count because they don't wear shoes or have a latin based written alphabet.
You are forcing me to again point out how childish you are behaving.

I was discussing a point of law, nobody said these people don't exist, but until they accept the lawful partition of a place THEY NEVER BEFORE OWNED, there can be no 'Palsestine' nor can there be claims of 'violations of international law.'

I'm surprised you post so often with such a vague idea of the reality of this rather complex problem.

Undo emotion will score you no points, only re-enforce the notion you haven't a clue of what you are discussing.

I was discussing a point of law, nobody said these people don't exist, but until they accept the lawful partition of a place THEY NEVER BEFORE OWNED, there can be no 'Palsestine' nor can there be claims of 'violations of international law.'

I'm surprised you post so often with such a vague idea of the reality of this rather complex problem.

Undo emotion will score you no points, only re-enforce the notion you haven't a clue of what you are discussing.

Yikes...that was brutal. Well said Xeno...

Last edited:
Reality is a harsh mistress.

The palestinians are trying to defy reality, as the youngster here does, through raw emotion often expressed as terrorism.

It simply won't work, no matter how many rockets fly they will never get anywhere until they give up the notion that something that never belonged to them is theirs.

The "lawful partition" means two things when we see isreal do nothing to keep land squatting jews from completing the canaanization of the land. In fact, THEY DID own the land that now houses israel. We all know how israel was created. We all know who had to move over so zionists could claim the land. This is why we don't see the next temple of solomon on temple mount. You can disregard their status as anything that strokes your zionist loving blank check if you WANT to but, again, we all know why jews have yet to claim the whole of jerusalem. If hiding behind chop shopped, jew-loving legalese is what does it for you then, by all means, go share your "they don't wear shoes" joke with a native american. If you can find one.

I'm surprised that you think a chorus line of cheerleading zionists amount to a history lesson.

Further, it's HILARIOUS that you talk about undo emotion given the screaming scarlet A tactic of every zionist making such an effort to SELL excuses for this latest holocaust. When you want to start dropping evidence in these threads feel free. Hell, I do. But, I guess tossing out the standard issue zionist rhetoric and waiting for godboys' stinging pussy to toss out a few rah rahs is easier.

:thup:

The palestinians are trying to defy reality, as the youngster here does, through raw emotion often expressed as terrorism.

It simply won't work, no matter how many rockets fly they will never get anywhere until they give up the notion that something that never belonged to them is theirs.

HA!

yea, dude.. before the creation of isreal there were NO palestineans muslims arabs LIVING on the fucking land!

because, and this is the rich part, LORD FUCKING KNOWS that the "they evacuated and abandoned the land" excuses sure does indicate that NO ONE WAS LIVING THERE!

:rofl:

reality is a harsh mistress, indeed. Say, dude.. I bet godboy will suck your dick if you show him your yarmulke.

HA!

yea, dude.. before the creation of isreal there were NO palestineans muslims arabs LIVING on the fucking land!

because, and this is the rich part, LORD FUCKING KNOWS that the "they evacuated and abandoned the land" excuses sure does indicate that NO ONE WAS LIVING THERE!

reality is a harsh mistress, indeed. Say, dude.. I bet godboy will suck your dick if you show him your yarmulke.

Take note everyone, because this is what happens when a person gets schooled in a debate. When your counter points only consist of F-bombs and dick jokes, youve obviously hit a dead end and youre at a loss for words.

You points and comparisons are lame shogun. Its like reading the same post over and over again. Its always some shit about zionist jews, and cant-do-wrong Palestininians. You never make any effort to explain the actions taken by Hamas, all you do is excuse it EVERY time. If I were to ask you about Hamas trying to kill innocent Israeli civilians with every atack, you would likely come back with some crap about Israel shouldnt be there in the first place. Its always deflection with you. Youre a broken record.

I mean look at you with your 16,000 posts. How is it youve made it this far posting the same thing repeatedly? Arent there rules against spamming the same message over and over on these boards? Someone call a mod! :lol:

Last edited:
Take note everyone, because this is what happens when a person gets schooled in a debate. When your counter points only consist of F-bombs and dick jokes, youve obviously hit a dead end and youre at a loss for words.

You points and comparisons are lame shogun. Its like reading the same post over and over again. Its always some shit about zionist jews, and cant-do-wrong Palestininians. You never make any effort to explain the actions taken by Hamas, all you do is excuse it EVERY time. If I were to ask you about Hamas trying to kill innocent Israeli civilians with every atack, you would likely come back with some crap about Israel shouldnt be there in the first place. Its always deflection with you. Youre a broken record.

I mean look at you with your 16,000 posts. How is it youve made it this far posting the same thing repeatedly? Arent there rules against spamming the same message over and over on these boards? Someone call a mod! :lol:
He will never grow up if you keep indulging his childishness.

Take it as a given he will say something infantile and pass over it, as any sane person does.

of course laws of war are inapplicable in the case of Gaza. It is not a war. it is the attempted violent suppression of those rejecting occupation.

Not true, their presence is not in violation with international law. The rockets fired from Gaza on Israeli cities justify (according to international law) any effort from Israel to stop it.

HA!

My use of vulgar words indicates nothing more than the fact that I am a vulgar guy. If you think my use of the word :fuck" means anything more than that then I guess it's clear why yoru rebuttal amounts to "nuh, huh, YOU'RE lame"

Talk about reading the same post over again.. you silly zionist bastards sure are impervious to the stink of your own shit, eh? And, I explain the actions of hammas over and over again. Remember, IM THE ONE who doesn't fall back on some goofy "good versus evil" schtick to explain the conflict. I've already covered both arresting rocket launching arabs AND given numerous examples of this same kind of shit causing violence. Then again, this is why you silly bastards feel the urge to ignore my mention of NELSON MANDELA all the time. I guess crying on each others shoulders and calling my posted evidence LAME does more for you than facing the fact of South African.. uh.. "terrorism".

And of course israel shouldnt be there in the first place. You'd feel the same way if I were in your house claiming more than half of your fucking floor space while herding your family into the basement while DARING you to react violently just so I can kill you in "self defense". Hell, don't lecture me about dead jews after the last 1k+ death fest rationalized to stroke the ego of zionism, dude. You have about as much moral authority as the killers of Emmet Till did in "protecting the chastity of a good white woman".

By all means. Call a mod. Lord fucking knows you can't offer a reply that has the slightest chance of making a point beyond "someone with a yarmulke, please come get your dick sucked".

He will never grow up if you keep indulging his childishness.

Take it as a given he will say something infantile and pass over it, as any sane person does.

Your claim of sanity is hilarious given which of us is more than willing to believe that every arab shoots out of a pussy with a bomb in one hand and a hatred of jews in the other. Hell, for your claim of "saneness" I bet you'll continue to respond to my posts.

Better yet, let's see if you have the balls to follow through.. BLOCK me. I dare you.

Not true, their presence is not in violation with international law. The rockets fired from Gaza on Israeli cities justify (according to international law) any effort from Israel to stop it.

Hey, you are doing nothing that Joseph Goebbels didn't do himself, buddy. Enjoy your rationalized holocaust!

:thup:

“If we are attacked we can only defend ourselves with guns not with butter.”

Joseph Goebbels quote

The arabs never accepted the UN partition, thus have no standing in law, 'occupying force' is an old arafat propaganda phrase from the 70s.

Until Palestinains accept the partition they cannot claim israel is 'occupying them' as they don't leagally exist, the territory was transferred from Egypt to israel after the 1967 war, in the case of gaza and Jordan in the case of the West Bank.

So please, spare us talk of 'international law.'

This is total denial. So you are saying that Palestinians are not under occupation? This old Arafat propaganda is the official position of every state in the world, including Israel to a certain extent.

I'd like to see one international ruling/resolution/advisory opinion/etc. that does testify that the Palestinian people are under Israeli occupation. I cannot believe when this hallucination will end.

But I''d really like to hear your view of the status of Palestinians today. Are they in limbo? Are the Egyptian? Jordanian? Israeli? Independent?

And by the way, I am sure you know that the partition plan you speak dearly about lays a condition for recognizing Israel as a state and admitting it into the UN. This condition is the existence of the other state: Palestine.

Forum List

Back