Us Smokers Rule!

I must agree, she turned a blind eye to her fellow smoker's own behavior.

Ang, if Hitler decided to demonize smoking you'd insist on telling us how swell he is. Truly. Make better choices and let everyone else make their own choices.

I'm sure those charities continued to get donations through other means. But Luissa, can you give me a good reason why employees on bingo halls don't deserve the same protections office workers have?
You say don't get a job where people smoke. Suppose you have a choice between working in a smoking environment or not feeding your kids? Suppose second hand smoke didn't really bother you at first but after a while you began to get sick from it and you had to quit and find other work? Why should you lose your job because of someone else's rude behavior?
Actually for Big Brothers and sisters it was their number one profit maker for their charity!
And along with the bingo halls some of the 'dive' bars went out of business because most of their business was smokers. People just stayed home to drink! I can understand if it is a family place or maybe more up scale but what about the hole in wall place.
And another note now you have to drive 20 miles to the indian res. if you want to play bingo!There are no bingo halls in my city anymore!

Last edited:
Actually for Big Brothers and sisters it was their number one profit maker for their charity!
And along with the bingo halls some of the 'dive' bars went out of business because most of their business was smokers. People just stayed home to drink! I can understand if it is a family place or maybe more up scale but what about the whole in wall place.
And another note now you have to drive 20 miles to the indian res. if you want to play bingo!There are no bingo halls in my city anymore!

That's too bad about the charities. I guess their nicotene habit meant more to the bingo players than Big Brothers and Big Sisters, the 40 extra miles in driving or the empoyees and the other patrons at the bingo hall.

Ang, if Hitler decided to demonize smoking you'd insist on telling us how swell he is. Truly. Make better choices and let everyone else make their own choices.

Invoke Hitler. Works everytime. :cuckoo:

Letting everyone else make their own choice about inhaling your tar and nicotene is what not smoking around other people is all about, Big Boy.

After thinking on it I have one final post to this topic, which actually just started off as a cute little joke.

I hate smoking because I hate being addicted, but I want to stop on my own terms. Forcing people to stop doing something only makes the addiction stronger, it never helps. Ask a rehab center how many times the average patient there returns to get an idea. A good example is AA, 12 step stuff, from P&T, they can just word things better and make it go down easier than I can:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Smoking itself isn't any more dangerous than walking down the street, but addiction is not a fun thing to contend with. Proof on here of what happens when addicts are pushed instead of coaxed, forced instead of nurtured. I know a few crack addicts (tobacco being more addictive) who stopped without any programs, law enforcement, etc.. They stopped because they wanted to themselves, no one told them they had to, no one pulled their arm, and it wasn't the law. One was getting high daily for almost 20 years, but she still broke that habit. So, if you do care about yours and our health, just don't force it. Many of us are quitting the habit, because it's just not fun being addicted, but making laws to push it only makes our willpower turn into fear.

After thinking on it I have one final post to this topic, which actually just started off as a cute little joke.

I hate smoking because I hate being addicted, but I want to stop on my own terms. Forcing people to stop doing something only makes the addiction stronger, it never helps. Ask a rehab center how many times the average patient there returns to get an idea. A good example is AA, 12 step stuff, from P&T, they can just word things better and make it go down easier than I can:

Smoking itself isn't any more dangerous than walking down the street, but addiction is not a fun thing to contend with. Proof on here of what happens when addicts are pushed instead of coaxed, forced instead of nurtured. I know a few crack addicts (tobacco being more addictive) who stopped without any programs, law enforcement, etc.. They stopped because they wanted to themselves, no one told them they had to, no one pulled their arm, and it wasn't the law. One was getting high daily for almost 20 years, but she still broke that habit. So, if you do care about yours and our health, just don't force it. Many of us are quitting the habit, because it's just not fun being addicted, but making laws to push it only makes our willpower turn into fear.
I have heard from my friend who works at a treament center on average people return to using whatever drug they use on average seven times!

If people were sensible and quit smoking of their own accord, we'd have no more smokers. I gave up hoping all smokers would be nice about their habits long ago.
I personally don't care if other people smoke or not. That's their business. I just don't want to be forced to join in their habit which is what happens when they smoke around me. Then laws restricting smoking in bars have nothing to do with making decisions forcing smokers to quit. The are about fair and equal protection of all employees regardless of social status.
I've never tried to make anyone quit except when I was a kid and wanted my father to stop. It's pointless to try to make anyone stop. A person has to want to do it on their own. I do know of many people who say they quit after they couldn't smoke at work any more. But they all said they had been trying anyway and that was one more reason to stop.
I think a lot of smokers think it's about them but it isn't. Non smokers are just sick of being imposed on.

I have heard from my friend who works at a treament center on average people return to using whatever drug they use on average seven times!

It took me three tries to quit smoking. I also heard that the best indicator that someone will quit successfully is if they've already tried before.

PS I wish you the best of luck if and when you do try to quit. It sure isn't easy and for everyone it's different. :)

It took me three tries to quit smoking. I also heard that the best indicator that someone will quit successfully is if they've already tried before.
I have only quit once when I was pregnant but I haven't tried since. Don't really want to right now!

I will not eat in restaurants that are non smoking. People let their kids run wild in smoke free restaurants. The last time I was in a smoke free restaurant, a toddler reached over the side of my booth and ate off my plate.

I would rather have the smoke along with some peace and quiet. And yes, I have two kids. However, many people in my area seem to think manners are optional for kids.

I will not eat in restaurants that are non smoking. People let their kids run wild in smoke free restaurants. The last time I was in a smoke free restaurant, a toddler reached over the side of my booth and ate off my plate.

I would rather have the smoke along with some peace and quiet. And yes, I have two kids. However, many people in my area seem to think manners are optional for kids.

I have witnessed such behavior, but have been lucky to not be directly effected by it yet.

Burn In.swf (humor, NSFW)

I wish I could spit fire to.

Moved from the Humor section 'cuz it got unfunny.
~Abelian Sea

Gotta love the tobacco nazis. They don't even want smokers in a privately-owned business. They should be tried for treason.

zeppcolor.jpg

Last edited:
I have noticed that smoke free work places quickly become perfume free workplaces. Once the air clears, people find something else that annoys them: other people's perfume, diet, hygiene... the complaints get worse and worse. How did everyone suddenly be come so allergic and intolerant of everyone else? Why is asthma suddenly an epidemic in children?

Its odd. The cleaner the air becomes, the sicker we all seem to get.

I have noticed that smoke free work places quickly become perfume free workplaces. Once the air clears, people find something else that annoys them: other people's perfume, diet, hygiene... the complaints get worse and worse. How did everyone suddenly be come so allergic and intolerant of everyone else? Why is asthma suddenly an epidemic in children?

Its odd. The cleaner the air becomes, the sicker we all seem to get.

Very much so, I sometimes smoke to mask the excessive perfumes that many people tend to wear. But those who complain about it are the people who just want to find something to complain about or fight against without thinking 'how could I just avoid it?'

KittenKoder - I agree. Some folks truly have allergies and need smoke free air - my grandfather had a terrible time breathing. But many people seem to just want to control others.

One of my co-workers went on this garlic pill thing. She oozed garlic through her pores. I took a handkerchief with perfume on it to meetings with her and pretended to have a cold. I had enough respect for her as a person to trust that she would get tired of the garlic kick, and she did.

It's funny in a way. We teach our kids tolerance for all sorts of people, beliefs, & behaviors - yet our society is so intolerant of odors.

Each owner of business, home, establishment should be able to set their own rules. Each worker should be able to choose where they wish to work. The government should not be involved in these decisions. If the top restaurants in an area wish to be smoke free, they should be able to. If they choose to allow smoking, they should be allowed to. If they wish to split the difference, they should be allowed to.

As a patron, I may choose to patronize the establishments that follow my desires. If their policies are not to my liking, I will not patronize them. The government involvement is wrong.

Forum List

Back