US Senate Report Officially Blames Top Bush Officials for Torture

Epsilon Delta

Jedi Master
Jul 16, 2008
Central America
The Guardian said:
After an 18-month investigation, the Senate's armed services committee concluded that Rumsfeld's approval of aggressive interrogation methods in December 2002 was a direct cause of abuses that began in Guantánamo and spread to Afghanistan and Iraq. They culminated in the Abu Ghraib scandal in 2003, where Iraqi detainees were found to have been forced into naked pyramids, sexually humiliated and threatened by dogs.

The Bush administration insisted the abuses had been the result of a few "bad apples" and that those responsible would be held accountable. The committee found neither those statements to be true.

"The abuses at Abu Ghraib, Gitmo [Guantánamo] and elsewhere cannot be chalked up to the actions of a few bad apples," said the Democratic chair of the committee, Carl Levin. "Attempts by senior officials to portray that to be the case while shrugging off any responsibility are both unconscionable and false."

No other congressional report has pointed the finger of blame so squarely at Bush and his senior advisers.

In hearings in June and September, the committee heard testimony that allowed it to piece together the chronology of events leading up to the Abu Ghraib abuses. It focused its attentions on Sere, a training system used to prepare US soldiers for aggressive interrogations so that they might endure if captured overseas.

Senators accuse Rumsfeld over abuse of detainees | World news | The Guardian

International Herald Tribune said:
A report released Thursday by leaders of the Senate Armed Services committee said that top Bush administration officials, including Donald Rumsfeld, the former defense secretary, bear major responsibility for the abuses committed by American troops in interrogations at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and other military detention centers.

The report was issued jointly by Senator Carl Levin of Michigan, the Democratic chairman of the panel, and Senator John McCain of Arizona, the top Republican. The report represents the most thorough review by Congress to date of the origins of the abuse of prisoners in American military custody, and it explicitly rejects the Bush administration's contention that tough interrogation methods have helped keep the country and its troops safe.

The report also rejected previous claims by Rumsfeld and others that Defense Department policies played no role in the the harsh treatment of prisoners at Abu Ghraib in late 2003 and in other incidents of abuse.

U.S. report blames Rumsfeld for detainee abuses - International Herald Tribune

WSWS.org said:
The reference is to a February 2002 memorandum signed by Bush, which announced to the world that Washington would not be bound by the Third Geneva Convention in its treatment of prisoners taken in its war in Afghanistan.

Bush's unilateral and extralegal proclamation that those captured in the so-called "war on terrorism" were not covered by the Geneva Conventions was the essential preparation for a regime of torture directed from the top. The administration was signaling that it would not be bound by the terms of an international statute that stated explicitly, "No physical or mental torture, nor any other form of coercion, may be inflicted on prisoners of war."
The timeline provided by the report makes clear that Bush's declaration followed less than two months after Defense Secretary Rumsfeld had initiated a program to "reverse engineer" techniques used by the Pentagon's Joint Personnel Recovery Agency, an outfit assigned to train military personnel to hold out against interrogation by regimes acting in violation of the Geneva Conventions.

These methods were derived largely from the experience of US POWs captured during the Korean War, whose treatment Washington at the time denounced as "torture" and "brainwashing." The Senate report comments: "It is particularly troubling that senior officials approved the use of techniques that were originally designed to simulate abusive tactics used by our enemies against our own soldiers and that were modeled, in part, on tactics used by the Communist Chinese to elicit false confessions from US military personnel.

[...]

Meanwhile, the Associated Press last month cited two unnamed senior Obama advisers as affirming that "there's little—if any—chance that the incoming president's Justice Department will go after anyone involved in authorizing or carrying out interrogations that provoked worldwide outrage."

Leading Democrats have tried to explain the refusal to pursue these matters as a question of "moving forward" and not becoming enmeshed in "partisan" warfare. The reality is that Democrats in Congress are entirely complicit in the torture policies of the past seven years. Any real war crimes investigation and prosecution would inevitably ensnare Democratic leaders who were briefed on and gave their assent to the criminal methods referred to in the Senate committee's report.

Obama's recent declaration—echoing those of Bush and Rice—that "America does not torture" notwithstanding, there is every reason to believe that these methods will continue under the incoming Democratic administration.

Significantly, Texas Democratic Congressman Silvestre Reyes, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, on Tuesday not only urged Obama to retain Director of National Intelligence Mike McConnell and CIA Director Michael Hayden at their posts, but also advised him to allow the CIA's "alternative interrogation program," i.e., torture, to continue.

"We don't want to be known for torturing people," said Reyes. "At the same time we don't want to limit our ability to get information that's vital and critical to our national security." This Democratic approach could be summed up as: Keep torturing, but keep it quiet."

Senate torture report confirms Bush, top officials guilty of war crimes

A copy of the summary can be found here:

http://levin.senate.gov/newsroom/supporting/2008/Detainees.121108.pdf

soon the us will use the tactics of israel....holding people with no charges, no attorneys...simply being held unable to notifiy their people or any of that...odd how great democracy work isnt it?

soon the us will use the tactics of israel....holding people with no charges, no attorneys...simply being held unable to notifiy their people or any of that...odd how great democracy work isnt it?

As I said many times, the terrorists won, they have even recruited a ton of US citizens to their tactics.

Oh, and Strolling, your sig is a bit wrong, satanists celebrate christmas to, the pagans celebrate Yule to which the only difference between christmas and Yule is Yule doesn't have to leave babies in the cold.

While I do not doubt that the Bush II administration set the tenor of Abu Ghraib, and I certainly feel that the leaders in the chain of command should be called to account for that, but I want to say something about personal responsibility and the absolution from guilt that we do often give those who are merely obeying orders.

I really do object to the "I was only ordering the trucks" defence of underlings when it comes to crimes against humanity.

This is what I would say to anyone who used the "good soldier defence"

No, I think, you bear a full measure of responsibility, too. You did the monster's dirty work.

No dictator works alone. The monsters you willingly followed cannot be monsters at the top unless people LIKE YOU are willing participants in their crimes.

The henchmen are just as responsible for their carrying out orders as the monsters who gave them.

I point this out because, if we often do NOT hold the minions responsible for their actions.

If we did, it might be somewhat harder for the next monster to find minions to do their dirty work.

I have to tell you in editecotopia, if a criminal regime takes power and commits crimes against humanity, everybody who carried out those crimes, from generals to privates would be held to account for their part in the crime.

The "good soldier" defence just doesn't wash with me.

It takes an army of "good soldiers" and functionaries to make a tyrannical government work.

AFAIC, the whole chain of command involved in this sort of crime needs to answer for the crimes it committed.

Saddam wasn't shit without his supporters, know what I mean?

The supporters of tyrants should NOT get a pass.

Last edited:
As I said many times, the terrorists won, they have even recruited a ton of US citizens to their tactics.

Oh, and Strolling, your sig is a bit wrong, satanists celebrate christmas to, the pagans celebrate Yule to which the only difference between christmas and Yule is Yule doesn't have to leave babies in the cold.

the satanist was a hard call...could you imagine the hell i would catch for wishing the satanists a merry christmas....come on kitten you been typing here too long to expect me to do that....i had two options..merry christmas or happy yule....or merry yule...

it is their high holy days they will work themselves in a rage without any imput from pagans lol...you have seen them already...war on christmas etc.

o you will love this..man and i go shopping for christmas cards..he asks why we buy christmas cards when i am a witch..i reply...cause there arent any winter solstice cards at hallmark....(my bad for waiting so long i should order them off the net) so he goes and ask the clerk where they are...she looks at him like he is from another planet and takes us to the end of the row where all the ...no one buys this shit...cards are....still no solstice cards..then as we leave he wishes the clerk a happy winter solstice....she just smiles that ...i am really dumb but kinda hot look...and replies...happy winter solstice to you...at which...i ask her if she even knows when it is....she doesnt....so why poke them with a stick when you dont have to...okay sometimes its fun...i will give you that....but i am trying to be respectful...to all...i will admit the mormon guy is getting to me...lol...

omg i am slow this morning.....it just hit me...leave babies in the cold...man is wondering what suddenly make me burst out laughing...hard....good one...i think you will catch hell for that but i got your back on that one....

the satanist was a hard call...could you imagine the hell i would catch for wishing the satanists a merry christmas....come on kitten you been typing here too long to expect me to do that....i had two options..merry christmas or happy yule....or merry yule...

it is their high holy days they will work themselves in a rage without any imput from pagans lol...you have seen them already...war on christmas etc.

o you will love this..man and i go shopping for christmas cards..he asks why we buy christmas cards when i am a witch..i reply...cause there arent any winter solstice cards at hallmark....(my bad for waiting so long i should order them off the net) so he goes and ask the clerk where they are...she looks at him like he is from another planet and takes us to the end of the row where all the ...no one buys this shit...cards are....still no solstice cards..then as we leave he wishes the clerk a happy winter solstice....she just smiles that ...i am really dumb but kinda hot look...and replies...happy winter solstice to you...at which...i ask her if she even knows when it is....she doesnt....so why poke them with a stick when you dont have to...okay sometimes its fun...i will give you that....but i am trying to be respectful...to all...i will admit the mormon guy is getting to me...lol...

Make your own.

With the internet's enormous library of images, and cheap printers, its probably cheaper than buying Hallmark cards, anyway.

While I do not doubt that the Bush II administration set the tenor of Abu Ghraib, and I certainly feel that the leaders in the chain of command should be called to accou ....

I agree with you 100%, but that was the most broken up ans scattered post I have read yet, and mine aren't all that coherent either.

Torture in and of it's self is not a evil act. Just as the validation or condemnation of the act is not a black or white issue.

Torture in and of it's self is not a evil act. Just as the validation or condemnation of the act is not a black or white issue.

Torture is more vile than murder. I would rather kill than torture because at least my soul and mind can rest knowing they are no longer suffering. Only terrorists use torture.

Torture is more vile than murder. I would rather kill than torture because at least my soul and mind can rest knowing they are no longer suffering. Only terrorists use torture.
Umm, OK. :confused:

So I guess "accused" is the same as "guilty" huh? If Carl Levin accused you of something, you must be guilty. I see many of you are willingly following that line of thinking.
I could explain that until recently, enemy combatants weren't covered under the Constitution but that would apparently be a huge waste of time.
A discussion of the differences between "torture" and "abuse" probably wouldn't have any effect either.
My prediction to you all: Obama will keep both the Patriot Act wiretapping provisions and GITMO open in some way shape or form. Unlike you, Obama gets a daily threat assessment and should understand what we face.
Oh yeah, he'll change one aspect of those laws fooling you into believing he has brought "change" to it.

And you'll believe it all. Just like you believe he knew nothing about the Blagobitch scandal.

wow... I can't even image that someone would actually hold this position. I guess in that case you would have no problem with our military being tortured!! good to know.

Torture in and of itself is certainly an evil act.

"As you do to the least of my brothers, so you do unto me."

Am I missing something?

Torture in and of itself is certainly an evil act.

"As you do to the least of my brothers, so you do unto me."

Am I missing something?

Look up Fresenius or Zimbardo in any books on social psychology.

They speak of a phenomena known as the diminution of personal responsibility in social situations.

I call it "the good soldier" syndrome.

Now once upon a time I was a good soldier, too.

I did things that I was ordered to do which were in direct violation of my own ethical standards.

How could I have done those things?

Since I was unders orders I felt a diminution of personal responsibility for what I was doing.

That syndrome is a why taking oaths of alligence, joining groups and swearing fealty to them, or becoming a cop of one kind or the other (including an officer of the courts, I might add for the benefit of our lawyers on this board) can put good people into situations where they do things that, if they were on their own, they might never do.

Now a whole lot of people look for opportunities to have their personal responsibility diminished for them.

They make great minions for tyrants.

Eschew those people, folks.

They'll not to be trusted.

I SUSPECT that a whole lot of former military who are suffering from post traumatic stress disorder are really recovering from their diminution of personal responsibility phenomena.

Their stress disorder is really a sign of their MORAL health recovering its claim on them as people.

I know god damned well it took me years to recover from PSSD, and my crimes against my own ethical standards were relatively minor compared to what many former combat soldiers have to go through.

When they're out of harms way and trying to put their experiences into perspective with who they really are that's why PSSD typically hits them, too.

That why sometimes PSSD doesn't hit till long after you're out of harm's way.

Last edited:
Let's just make em a cup o tea whatchasay?

You have such meaningless non sequiturs, Willow.

Waterboarding is a long way from tea. Your levity is so amusing in the face of the fact that we have kept people in prison for over 5 years with not trial, no rights no nothing and then freed them with no charges.

Torture is morally and legally wrong. We let a bunch of cowards like Rummy and Cheney lead US down this road. Protest all you want, they are criminals for these actions.

I also agree that it is no excuse to say I was just following orders. Being a good soldier does not mean you break legal or moral codes because a senior told you to do so.

Forum List

Back