US scientists reject interference

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
By Jonathan Amos
Science reporter, BBC News, San Francisco

There have been claims of political interference on climate issues
Some 10,000 US researchers have signed a statement protesting about political interference in the scientific process.

The statement, which includes the backing of 52 Nobel Laureates, demands a restoration of scientific integrity in government policy.

According to the American Union of Concerned Scientists, data is being misrepresented for political reasons.

It claims scientists working for federal agencies have been asked to change data to fit policy initiatives.

The Union has released an "A to Z" guide that it says documents dozens of recent allegations involving censorship and political interference in federal science, covering issues ranging from global warming to sex education.

Campaigners say that in recent years the White House has been able to censor the work of agencies like the Environmental Protection Agency and the Food and Drug Administration because a Republican congress has been loath to stand up for scientific integrity.

"It's very difficult to make good public policy without good science, and it's even harder to make good public policy with bad science," said Dr Peter Gleick, president of the Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment and Security.

"In the last several years, we've seen an increase in both the misuse of science and I would say an increase of bad science in a number of very important issues; for example, in global climate change, international peace and security, and water resources."

The statement was released at the American Geophysical Union's Fall Meeting. It is an annual gathering of Earth scientists.

Last year, it triggered a major row when a discussion here resulted in the renowned US space agency climate scientist Dr James Hansen later claiming he had come under pressure not to talk to the media on global warming issues.

Michael Halpern from the UCS said the statement of objection to political interference had been supported by researchers regardless of their political views.

"This science statement that has now been signed by the 10,000 scientists is signed by science advisers to both Republican and Democratic administrations dating back to President Eisenhower, stating that this is not business as usual and calling for this practice to stop," he told BBC News.

The Union said is was hopeful that the new Congress taking office in January would show a greater commitment to protecting the integrity of the scientific process.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6178213.stm

Definition of Irony: The American Union of Concerned Scientists griping that science is misused for political purposes.

It's been well documented with Chimpy's administration that when push comes to shove, ideology wins out over science every time.

There are nearly 1,000 peer reviewed studies that indicate global warming is a direct result of human activity. But a report by the EPA was redacted by an Administration appointee to reflect a lack of concensus on the issue. That appointee has since become a lobbyist for the energy industry.

Plan B, the "morning after pill" was, despite overwhelming approval by the FDA panel charged with vetting the approval of such meds, had its release scuttled by just one Chimpy appointed member.

An HPV vaccine very nearly failed to gain approval because of right-wing concerns about increased sexually promiscuity amongst the vaccines recipients.

THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!! I haven't heard such childish crap in my life as the so called climate change made by man. Yes, the climate is changing and will continue to change until the end of time. Some scientists say mankind is causing global warming, some say mankind is causing another ice age, and some say it isn't caused by mankind at all, just nature doing what it does naturally ever few thousand years. Ten years ago if someone would have told me I would be sitting here reading such nonsense as made made global warming, I would have called him/her crazy.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008597

New Topics

Forum List

Back